Reply from Natural Resources Regarding Calibre Restrictions and Sunday Hunting - Rifle/Guns - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

Reply from Natural Resources Regarding Calibre Restrictions and Sunday Hunting

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 88'grousekiller

88'grousekiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

I recently wrote a letter to Paul Robichaud appealing calibre restrictions for varmint hunting and Sunday hunting restrictions, mainly siting outdated laws and beliefs as my argument (compared to other province and state regulations).  This was the response I received today, just thought I would post it for others that are interested in these subjects to see.  If there are any mistakes I apologize, I had to retype the letter as it was in a pdf file that I couldn't copy paste from or upload.

Dear Mr.______,

Thank you for your email expressing your concerns about Sunday hunting restrictions and about calibre restrictions for hunting coyotes during certain hunting seasons.

In 2008, the provincial government undertook a review of its legislation pertaining to firearms use on Sundays and consulted numerous stakeholders involved in this issue.  These stakeholders included hunters, landowner groups, public agencies, hunting groups, non-hunting groups, aboriginal groups and the public.

Amendments made to the Fish and Wildlife Act were a direct result of this consultation process.  Since these changes have only been in effect since 2008, the provincial government is not prepared to propose further modifications to this legislation at this time.

The current calibre restriction that applies during the varmint hunting season and small game hunting season was enacted in 1986.  It is intended to reduce the opportunity and ability of poachers to kill big-game animals, specifically, moose and deer.

The restriction to allow only centrefire rifles of less that 0.23 calibre is a compromise between those hunters who wish to have a long-range hunting implement and liberal hunting seasons for the medium-sized coyote; and those hunters and the public who are concerned about illegal harvest of wildlife and only want hunting to take place during the traditional fall hunting seasons.

In addition, the 10-week spring bear hunting season allows bear license holders to hunt both bears and coyotes while using a larger-calibre firearm, which also provides some opportunity for large-calibre, long-range varmint hunting.

With the proper hunting licences, hunters can use large-calibre, centrefire rifles to hunt coyotes for more than 17 weeks of the year, with the remainder restricted to smaller calibre, centrefire rifles.

The Fish and Wildlife Act authorizes private landowners, without a license, to hunt ( with any calibre firearm) coyotes on their private lands, on any day throughout the year to prevent damage to their private property.

The department of Natural Resources believes the current regulations allow many opportunities for hunters to kill coyotes while restricting opportunities for the illegal harvest of big-game animals.

I take note of your concern about poachers using small calibre firearms to avoid law enforcement.  Conservation officers rely heavily on tips from the public and would readily welcome reports of suspicious activity, either through a local office of the Department of Natural Resources or through the N.B. Crime Stoppers tip line at: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Thank you for your concern about the protection of New Brunswick's wildlife resources.

Sincerely,

(signed)

Bill Levesque

Deputy Minister

cc:  Hon. Paul Robichaud, Minister of Natural Resources

#2 Juddy111

Juddy111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:15 PM

so it looks like they still believe that every hunter in NB is a poacher

#3 Slug870

Slug870

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBurton

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

I received the same reply when I emailed them last year... What a sad state of affairs. They really think that a calibre restriction does anything to stop poaching? Anyone who hunts knows the contrary...

There is a reason the .22-250 is known as "the poacher's choice".....

#4 NB axemen

NB axemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

So that I didn't know... I can hunt coyotes whenever and with my 30-06 on my land any day of the year???

#5 bowandgun

bowandgun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationRiverview nb

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

There is a reason the .22-250 is known as "the poacher's choice".....

just guessing but i say  80 % of 22-250 owners never hunted coyote in their lives so youre right. 

#6 oldwool

oldwool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationFredericton, NB

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

The Fish and Wildlife Act authorizes private landowners, without a license, to hunt ( with any calibre firearm) coyotes on their private lands, on any day throughout the year to prevent damage to their private property.

I would be very careful with this statement. You cannot go on your woodlot and shoot coyotes without a license. If you have coyotes getting into your chicken coop at your house, that's a different story and you can look after the problem without a license. They key is the animal must be proven to be a nuisance (causing damage or injury). There is a list of nuisance animals that can be trapped or killed without a license on the dnr site I believe. Call a conservation officer if you don't believe me and DONT go by this letter.

It aint all about the rack, its about the track.

Marlin 336 .35 Rem.

Remington 7600 .30-06

Savage 340 .30-30

Browning BPR .22 mag.

#7 88'grousekiller

88'grousekiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

I would be very careful with this statement. You cannot go on your woodlot and shoot coyotes without a license. If you have coyotes getting into your chicken coop at your house, that's a different story and you can look after the problem without a license. They key is the animal must be proven to be a nuisance (causing damage or injury). There is a list of nuisance animals that can be trapped or killed without a license on the dnr site I believe. Call a conservation officer if you don't believe me and DONT go by this letter.

I agree with that statement. It was a very vague and generic response, they've probably sent the same exact short response letter to others that have contacted them as well.
Basically he's encouraging us to buy bear licenses to be able to hunt coyotes with any calibre weapon. And saying we can actually hunt for 17/26 weeks of the year with large calibers if we do so.. So why is it a problem if we are able to hunt with those calibers for the remaining 9 weeks? Haha doesn't make sense. Money maker.
And when I made a point of saying it really doesn't curb poaching at all because poachers can cover themselves by either buying big game licenses that are in season so they can legally carry these larger weapons, or they can just use a high power .22 caliber like the .22-250.. And all he said was to contact crime stoppers of I knew of someone doing this.

What a joke.

#8 88'grousekiller

88'grousekiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

The only way rules are going to change is if there is a hunter that eventually gets the position of Minister and then they can say "listen guys, these are outdated/baseless uneducated regulations that are restricting our outdoorsmen in unnecessary ways." And then it might change. Really at the end of the day I feel there really aren't many people willing to pay 47$ for a bear license just so they can hunt coyotes with their bigger calibers.
So if they lifted these restrictions, let us hunt on any day of the week that fits our work schedules, and not force people to buy other expensive weapons/licenses when they shouldn't need to, then I'm sure they would see a revenue increase.
The vast majority of hunters are casual hunters, that enjoy getting out when they can. These restrictions keep a lot of people buying licenses that otherwise they would buy. And it keeps hunters out of the woods that we need in the woods. Due to cutbacks we don't have the numbers of Rangers we really need. If there were more hunters we would be able to police the woods better and poaching would decrease.

#9 nbbucks

nbbucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationKeswick Ridge

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for posting their response.  While I don't really have an issue with calibre I do with Sunday hunting.

"In 2008, the provincial government undertook a review of its legislation pertaining to firearms use on Sundays and consulted numerous stakeholders involved in this issue.  These stakeholders included hunters, landowner groups, public agencies, hunting groups, non-hunting groups, aboriginal groups and the public.

Amendments made to the Fish and Wildlife Act were a direct result of this consultation process.  Since these changes have only been in effect since 2008, the provincial government is not prepared to propose further modifications to this legislation at this time."

I don't remember being consulted on this issue and I only  fit in 3 of the categories.  It would be interesting to see this consultation process if it actually exist.  Why not at least bow hunting on Sunday.  My favourite part is "only been in effect since 2008" Come on get your head out of your ........  that was 6 years ago.  It shouldn't take 30 years to review every amendment.

"Some people say, well I got meat for my freezer. Well I say how about a big rack for the wall." Legendary Vermont deer hunter.......Larry Benoit

#10 trapper

trapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationN.B

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:12 AM

I can't believe the caliber debate. Just because you can carry a larger caliber rifle isn't going to make you decide to poach. Whatever rifle you are carrying your still either a hunter or a poacher. A poacher is already breaking the law do you think most of them care what rifle they are carrying or if its legal on a license? Being able to carry a larger caliber legally might make it easier but once they have illegal meat it's no easier. To me this is just more nonsense of our gun laws restricting the people who actually follow the rules.

#11 88'grousekiller

88'grousekiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I can't believe the caliber debate. Just because you can carry a larger caliber rifle isn't going to make you decide to poach. Whatever rifle you are carrying your still either a hunter or a poacher. A poacher is already breaking the law do you think most of them care what rifle they are carrying or if its legal on a license? Being able to carry a larger caliber legally might make it easier but once they have illegal meat it's no easier. To me this is just more nonsense of our gun laws restricting the people who actually follow the rules.

Couldn't agree more

#12 bowandgun

bowandgun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationRiverview nb

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:05 PM

well said i agree all the way

#13 snowbrad

snowbrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationLincoln NB

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

We all need to get the word out about Sunday hunting
The by law has changed there is no day of rest anymore that is why any retail store has an option to what hours they will operate on Sundays so to my understanding the rest act is gone by a vote so this should mean it should pass for hunting as well even if it was on the table a couple years ago the law has passed and to my understanding that is why we can't hunt Sundays because of the act since it is gone we should be able to hunt

#14 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • LocationOutdoors (but not right now lol!)

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

For a rare occasion I will side with DNR on this one. I think Mr Lévesque's letter addresses most any type of hunting opportunity with or without caliber restrictions with the bear license provision. What rattles my cage is our government's unwillingness to GO BACK in the F&WA and revamp it once and for all allowing Sunday hunting accross the board, for all big game and nuisance game species. This would provide more hunting opportunities, and a direct cause of this would be less poaching with an increase of law-abiding citizens out there with an ''eye on the ground approach''.

I was a militant for the caliber restrictions be dropped out, I will confess, but with the balistic capabilities of .223 or .22-250 nowadays, I have no reason to switch to a 100 grain .270.

my 2 cents. Interesting topic and thanks for sharing Fletcher.

#15 oldwool

oldwool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:11 PM

I'm curious as to why everyone wants the caliber restriction gone? How does it affect being able to hunt varmints? What would be the need to carry larger calibers than .22's (.223, .22-250)?

Marlin 336 .35 Rem.

Remington 7600 .30-06

Savage 340 .30-30

Browning BPR .22 mag.

#16 Axeman

Axeman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Just sayin...there is a bit of misinformation here lads.   I was around for that one.   Sunday hunting was totally political - 50% of hunters opposed and 70% of the public......but it still went through (big surprise....90% of the public is opposed to the new Forestry strategy and it still stands).  

On coyotes on your own land - section 34.4 of the F&W act - "for the prevention of property damage........"  Therefore, shoot any day, at any time (except at night) a coyote...with any calibre.   You can take that to the bank.

#17 oldwool

oldwool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

On coyotes on your own land - section 34.4 of the F&W act - "for the prevention of property damage........"  Therefore, shoot any day, at any time (except at night) a coyote...with any calibre.   You can take that to the bank.

There's a little more to it. I think the key is there has to be damage to get the ok to prevent it from happening again. I cant just go on my woodlot armed with a 30-06 in case I see a coyote.....

34(6)A person may apply in person or in writing to the Minister for written authorization to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate any wildlife referred to in subsection (5), or any other wildlife, that may cause damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land.

34(7)Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the Minister, if satisfied that the hunting, trapping, snaring, removal or relocation of wildlife proposed under subsection (6) is necessary for the prevention of damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land, may give written authorization to the applicant, authorizing the applicant to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate the wildlife, in accordance with the regulations and with the terms and conditions set out in the written authorization.

Marlin 336 .35 Rem.

Remington 7600 .30-06

Savage 340 .30-30

Browning BPR .22 mag.

#18 Slug870

Slug870

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationBurton

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

I'm curious as to why everyone wants the caliber restriction gone? How does it affect being able to hunt varmints? What would be the need to carry larger calibers than .22's (.223, .22-250)?

Some of us have larger calibre rifles that we would love to be able to take out and hunt coyotes (and other varmint) with. For example, I own a T3 Varmint 6.5x55 that I love to reload for and shoot. I will happily and confidently shoot at coyotes up to 500m away with this rifle because I have practiced with it, I know that I can confidently make these shots and achieve an humane kill, and it is my favorite rifle to fire. Of course I still enjoy the closer range shots with it; but it just gives me that extra reach that I want. Can I hit targets at 500m with my 22-250? Sure I can. Can I hit a coyote at 500m and confidently make a quick, humane kill? Maybe; but I'm not about to do it. They are varmint, but they are animals nonetheless; and ALL animals deserve a quick humane kill.

As well, I doubt you will find any .243 owners (of which I am one) on this site who wouldn't love to be able to take out their .243 for coyote; so why have oppresive, nonsensical laws preventing us from doing that?

This is just my point of view with a couple examples. While I have my views, and you have yours; I will always respect the difference between them.

Tight groups and happy hunting.

#19 Juddy111

Juddy111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

I would love love loveeeee to use a 243 on coyotes! IMO it would be the best round to do it with!

#20 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Brunswick

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

I for one would love to see the caliber restriction either removed all together or changed to allow the use of dual purpose varmint and deer rounds such as .243 Win, .257 Rob, 6.5x55 etc. It would relieve a lot of burden from folks just starting into the sport who may not be able to afford multiple rifles but want to hunt all the opportunities they are offered. A new hunter would be better served with a .243, .25-06, 6.5x55 or similar rather then trying to effectively kill deer or bears as well as coyotes with their .22 centerfire that many are choosing for their first rifle because they can use it year round. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users