#21 ARSENO

ARSENO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:50 AM

I just bought a primos old crow, crow call a couple of weeks ago and had some crows circling me while practesing with it but wasn't able to get them quite close enough to shoot at. The closest I could seem to bring them was about 50 meters.

Has anyone tried out the crow deacoys for bringing them in closer?

The easyest way to get crows in my experience is to sit beside a bush, do some calling and when you hear or see one, hide as best you can and keep coaxing him closer, normaly i almost get them to land on the bush im calling from :P Also crow hunting this time of year is hard since we gotta wear orange now after sept 1st. Happy crow hunting!

#22 gmac

gmac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

I'm sure picking off crows with your varmit rifles must seem like a lot of fun,but does anyone know where that hyper velosity slug is going after it passes through the crow or deflects off a branch,or goes whistling on it's way only to come back to earth miles from it's origin?Unless you are shooting these things on the ground,you are playing russian roulette with someone's life.

#23 browning

browning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Locationriverview

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'm sure picking off crows with your varmit rifles must seem like a lot of fun,but does anyone know where that hyper velosity slug is going after it passes through the crow or deflects off a branch,or goes whistling on it's way only to come back to earth miles from it's origin?Unless you are shooting these things on the ground,you are playing russian roulette with someone's life.

You wouldnt know for sure where the bullet went but one would have to assume that if your in the woods it would go in a tree. If you think of the path that a bullet would take when bouncing of the ground it would take quite a clearing to get above the tree line. Dont you think? I dont think there is anybody here firing a rifle in the air like its an Irag birthday party.

#24 NB axemen

NB axemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Lyons store in Moncton carry the Hammerin' Crow Call, a green plastic model. (I think Better Buys has 'em too, only cheaper, just can't recall absolutely.)
Sometimes mine calls 'em in right proper.
Other times it makes them fly the other way. :rolleyes:
I'm lucky because I know a place where a farmer buries his deadstock, only he doesn't bury it. He dumps the dead cows in a big trench and only buries 'em every few months. The place is full of crows that pick at the dead animals. My record there is 9 in one sitting, but I usually get three to five at one stand, then go for an atv ride, then return a few hours later for three or four more.
If you can find such a place, it's a guaranteed Ace in the hole.
It's also a good place where you can practice your calling in a live situation by calling and watching how the crows react.
I hunt crows quite a bit and they can be great fun.
ONce you drop one, sit still. In a few minutes, his buddy will usually come looking for him.
Don't leave your kills lying there if you plan to return. Crows are smart enough to know to skeedaddle if they see that there's a dead brother lying there.

Lobsterman,
Is the pit you go to in memramcook?

#25 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

Yes sir it is.
Sounds like you know the spot. :-) I bet it's a relative of yours that is putting his deadstock in there.
I haven't been there yet this winter because it was getting busy there this fall.
I will be going back though. Hope to see you there! Maybe we can hook up and really put a hammering on those nuisances, eh!

#26 NB axemen

NB axemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Yup, It's my relative,

Definitely not blaming you, but someone is going there and shooting with a shotgun @ crows...and 1, they are leaving all the shells all over the place...maybe not now with the snow, but in the spring, there had to be well over 300...2 they are leaving the dead crows laying around...

He's Starting to get a little pissed of @ the situation as it is his property, and whoever is doing it, oviously doesn't care about it.

So If you know anyone else using the spot please tell them to clean it up and pick up their shells and dead crows or the property will be posted Red...

And both you and I + probebly a few others don't want that to happen!

#27 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

My buddies only go there with me, and we always pick up our shells and then we put our crows in the pit.
From now on, we will start picking up all the shells that we see even if they aren't ours, and carrying our crows out.
Too bad it is upsetting the landowner. It's a good spot and I'd hate to lose it.
Thanks for the heads up!
We haven't been there yet this fall/winter but when we go back we will bring plastic bags and fill them with any crap that we see.
Cheers!

#28 NB axemen

NB axemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

No prob, that's what I did too, left with full pockets...There's a few other guys I know that go there and I'm trying to get a hold of them!!

Fun place, woudn't want to loose it!

cheers

#29 NB axemen

NB axemen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

P.S. He doesn't care if people go there...he hates coyotes as much as we do, it's the shell all over the place that gets him!

#30 Resourceful Redneck

Resourceful Redneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationRiverview New Brunswick

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

NB Axeman: I have been teaching my son the basics of hunting and would like to keep hunting different spots through the winter. I am also trying to teach him the importance of only leaving tracks in the woods and cleaning up shells etc... If possible, could you email me who has that carcass pit so I could ask them for permission to bring the kid too? If not, I understand! [email protected] Cheers

#31 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Coach z hit the nail on the head with a Owl Decoy for Crows . We all know that Crows Roust in large numbers usually in the Same areas each night, that is why they have such a hate on for Owls , Crows cannot see at night and if a OWL can find a crows roust he will pick them off one at a time until he has his fill.
In the day light, if crows come accross a owl they will call in others and dive bomb him and make as much of a diturbance as they can, they want him out of the area well before dark or the tides turn. So a Owl decoy setup over a Crow decoy carcus is the set up. Don't move until its time to shoot and be well camoed.. PS it is great retriver training for anyone bring along a young retriver, but take a word of advice don't send your Dog to retrive a slightly wounded Raven ...But thats another story. :)
Home of Paparazzi home Brew Game cams.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#32 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Old guide, what are your thoughts on an owl decoy....will any do? or do you need an like say a barred owl decoy ( common NB owl). Just wondering if it even matters as it seems like the only decoys on the market are types not seen in NB?

#33 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

All I ever used was the plastic owls that were avalable in the Canadian Tire they were imatation Great Horned Owls. They were there not for Hunting purposses but to post near your Garden to keep the cow birds and Pigeons out of the Barn. I do not think it matters much what type, the most importhing next to calling was to be well hid and Don't move which is the secret for Duck Hunting also . I hope you shoot all them egg stealing Buggers :) .
Home of Paparazzi home Brew Game cams.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#34 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:45 AM

Tried some recorded crow calls outta the truck the other day, threw in the tape and rolled down the windows....and the truck got dive bombed by about 20-30 crows....

#35 wallette90

wallette90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

Killed 2 crows yesterday in 1 hour of hunting. It was fun! I used 10 home made crow decoys (made of wood) and a mix of crow call and cottontail distress call. Does anybody use something else to call them ??

#36 bokster

bokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Killed 2 crows yesterday in 1 hour of hunting. It was fun! I used 10 home made crow decoys (made of wood) and a mix of crow call and cottontail distress call. Does anybody use something else to call them ??

Interesting how did you make the decoys? Just the shape painted black?

#37 wallette90

wallette90

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Exactly, I made them about 1inche thick and put kind of a stick to imitate the legs.

#38 bokster

bokster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:09 PM

very nice I'll have to give that a try :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users