New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

5 day moose hunt

12K views 96 replies 17 participants last post by  Albertabound 
#1 ·
announce today... :) :)

#7 ·
Why can't moose hunters understand this is not needed AND GIVES FEWER LICENCES? all we need is 3 days.
Agreed! All we ever yapped about was the lack of tags and they react by giving a longer season with NO more tags... this leads to ultra high success rates which we all know will lead to fewer tags. I suppose that'll resolve the butcher shortage that seems to be so important to them!! Can anyone name ONE other place in the world where butcher availability is a factor in herd management???

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
LOL..Split the season to stop over-crowding? OK..

Think they kind of forgot the archery deer, bear and bird hunters everywhere starting the first of October..
That won't cause any problems im sure... :blink: :wacko: :rolleyes:

#13 ·
With the success rates we have in NB at over 80% (and that's including the unskilled, the ones that didn't show and those with extreme bad luck...), you could give us a month with the same number of tags and still end up with the same harvest... so what are we bickering about? Lets ask for a month like darn near everywhere else and to hell with overcrowding... apparently it only takes 400 signatures!!!

... really though, we want tags... the moose population needs to be reassessed or counted if you will, based on real counts in different areas of densities and not on estimates based on last year's estimates which factored in estimates of native harvest, poaching estimates and compiled against the body of the last 2 decades of estimates. Then, they will see what we see as being an explosion of the moose population to a degree never before seen in the province. At one time, it was rather more rare to see a moose. Now we are building fences along the highways out of fear.

#14 ·
Something's outta wack when NBers kill as many moose in 5 days as they do deer over 7 weeks.

#15 ·
LOL..Split the season to stop over-crowding? OK..

Think they kind of forgot the archery deer, bear and bird hunters everywhere starting the first of October..
That won't cause any problems im sure... :blink: :wacko: :rolleyes:
I think the logic in their assessment of the over crowding is not really over crowding with hunters of different species, but actually the over crowding of Moose

hunters in the northern Zones,,, 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 there's an all out war out there for territory and over crowding of hunters.. Same reasoning applies to butchers,

toooo many tags and not enough butchers available in the northern regions, and if you factor in the natives, most butchering shops around here are almost full

come time of Moose season. 2 seasons would kind of fix this problem, but 1 month would probably cure all of them. Even if the season was a month long and a person with a tag

would have to choose 5 consecutive days within that month to hunt.

#18 ·
The minister requested 20 tags for himself to hand out to who he sees fit as well eh. If that's not corrupt I don't know what is. I have insider information
I guess the Rackman will get his 5-6 tags again. What a guy!

You know, about the butcher issue, anywhere else on earth folks would see it as a business opportunity. To rig up and cut meat for a week and pad your account for winter... its the homesteader's way... So why mess with that.? On another note also, a hunter afraid of losing meat cuz he or she cant get a spot in a fridge should rather be questionning wether or not they are fit to call themselves a real hunter. If a grown man or woman cant figure out how to at least chunk it up to fit in the freezer...yikes... Even the most neophyte beginner daft bubblehead can at learn basic boning or butchering with 10 minutes and an internet connection.

3 days and more tags is my vote... I have no interest in waiting years for a tag only to have to have 15 hollywood bird hunters an hour coasting by me looking for the same bird while I supposedly am less crowded.

#19 ·
So what is it we all want??

More tags? Will never be enough for all who apply,,,, 100 tags for non residents and another 50 for Outfitters,, that's a few more for us.

Longer season, shorter season, really doesn't affect anything, we still only have the same # of tags, wether we get the quota allocated in a day, 3 days, 5 days or 2 months

it's all the same.

Anyone can quarter up a Moose,, just be sure when you freeze it that everything is strait, cause when a butcher is available to cut it up, i'm not sure what kind of meat you're gonna get.

I personnaly think we need to find a way to lower the # of applications, without lowering the # of applicants thus giving everyone better odds of getting a tag

#21 ·
It's the groups of ppl that put grandma, grandpa, mother, father, uncle, etc in every yr so they can get in on a hunt. Basically 30 names in the pot so 1 or 2 guys can shoot a couple moose every yr. That's the way she goes. Out of the 65000 applicants I'd have to say only half or less are the actual shooters or hunters if that's what u want to call it while the other folks are at the camp until they have to get out to slap a tag on an critter. Government don't care cause the more the better for them. I like the 5 days due to the time of yr. They can't push it back unless they push deer season back which would be great from a hunters stand point but for the deers sake I say no to that as well. Splitting it up into 2 season will be a money grab. Watch and see

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Abuckisabuck nailed it.....if cooler space/lack of butchers is your problem,perhaps you should consider taking up a new hobby that requires less knife skills.....perhaps knitting or ballet?

It's somewhat amazing that the NB hunting culture and poaching mentality automatically dismisses the viability of split seasons,or God forbid a late moose season that runs simultaneously with deer or ANY other open season.....they even feel the need to close varmint season for 10 days FFS!
In Alberta,as is the case in many other places,moose,elk,2 species of deer,sheep,bear,and a shitload of other seasons overlap and coincide.You either have a moose tag,or you don't.Yet it seems in NB,if you allow any other hunters in the woods,it's automatically assumed that it would be a moose party hunt free for all....WTF is up wit dat?
Hunting deer/elk here,I regularily(as in almost daily?)see moose that I don't have a tag for,during open season for moose.....big fn deal?
I've seen literally dozens of beautiful,trophy class muley bucks,with a valid General MD tag in my pocket,in draw zones where my Gen MD tag is not valid.......hence,I've yet to scratch trophy MD Buck off my bucket list,despite the fact that I likely could have wacked several dandies thus far,slapped a tag on'em and trucked em home.
Often times I might be travelling a forest road that forms the border between 2 WMUs.....on the left side,general WT is open,antlered MD is open,6pt minimum elk.On the right side of road,Gen WT open,MD buck is on draw,3pt elk.....both units require a draw for moose.
Ya perty near need a Philadelphia lawyer riding shotgun to interpret the game laws and seasons here at times,lol.......
-"Can I shoot that deer?"
-No.....wait til he crosses the road,then he's legal......but ya can't shoot from or across the road neither!"
-DOH!!

Point being,poachers will be poachers.They generally don't really GAF about regs or seasons or rules or unit boundaries.
The thing is though,I see comparatively little rule bending and outright illegal hunting and poaching in AB vs. NB,despite the fact that AB has up to 10 big game species open season simultaneously and generous 2-3 month seasons and more for bow......its(poaching) just simply not so prevalent IMHO?
I think maybe a big part of the poaching mentality in NB stems from desperation?It takes forever to draw a moose tag,many feel the pressure to punch that tag and fill that freezer at any cost?
Same with deer in a sense?Most guys(90%?) won't tag a deer this year or most any year.
It's a far different atmosphere out west.
Can bow hunt moose every year,draw a rifle tag every few.Elk every year,up to 13 deer tags if one played every draw and special season,trophy sheep every other year,antelope,bison,cougar,wolves,bears,coyotes out the ying yang,gophers n geese in Spring.....there's more chit to hunt then I have hunting days in a year,lol.
1st World problems,Bwaaahahaaa. :D
Not much incentive to risk poaching chit when ya can legally fill about 6 Fn freezers with legal meat if ya so choose I spose?

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
They should have moose hunters take the shooting test before getting the tag like it was a while ago. That would stop a lot of non hunters from applying lol
It never stopped any(many?) before.
Back in the day,there was plenty of "non-hunters" that fired a rifle for the first time one week before the shooting test,and never fired one again after hitting the barn door joke target 2 outta 3 times.
Keep in mind,this was before the days of mandatory Hunter Ed for 1st time hunters.These days,"presumably" anybody buying a moose licence has either been hunting for years or taken H Ed.........yea right. :rolleyes:
Swear on a Bible that you've held a hunting licence somewhere/anywhere at sometime,and you're in.
What if your an Atheist?Jew?Muslim?Liar?Fingers crossed behind yer back ?
Proof of Hunter Ed/previous licence,pinky swear,Scout's Honor.....good enuf/wutever?

#26 ·
It never stopped any(many?) before.
Back in the day,there was plenty of "non-hunters" that fired a rifle for the first time one week before the shooting test,and never fired one again after hitting the barn door joke target 2 outta 3 times.
Keep in mind,this was before the days of mandatory Hunter Ed for 1st time hunters.These days,"presumably" anybody buying a moose licence has either been hunting for years or taken H Ed.........yea right. :rolleyes:
Swear on a Bible that you've held a hunting licence somewhere/anywhere at sometime,and you're in.
What if your an Atheist?Jew?Muslim?Liar?Fingers crossed behind yer back ?
Proof of Hunter Ed/previous licence,pinky swear,Scout's Honor.....good enuf/wutever?
Yes it did stop quite a few. I know many who only apply now because they know that they will never ever have to fire a rifle. With the second licence,it's even easier to have someone shoot the moose for you. It doesn't matter if it was enough just to hit the barn. They wouldn't fire a rifle if their life depended on it. Never hunted and never taken a hunter course. Lots of those around here anyway. Can't imagine it's different anywhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.