New Brunswick deer herd down 70% in 30 years, DNR numbers show - Page 2 - Hunting Stories - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

New Brunswick deer herd down 70% in 30 years, DNR numbers show

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Locationin the woods of course

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:44 AM

I assume those were radio tags and not satellite tags?

yes they were! (radio)

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.

#22 Mister November

Mister November

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1153 posts
  • Locationin the woods of course

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:48 AM

And everyone of us who hunt, should also take some time to hunt coyote.  There may not be many trappers but there are still 10's of thousands of us whining hunters to do the job.  We just haven't done it and that's a crying shame on us and nobody else.

i would think that any deer hunter out there would shoot a coyote if they had the chance too....

i know i do and i would take a coyote over a deer any day!

If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.

#23 YoungGun

YoungGun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationMoncton, NB

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

I've always been tempted to go ahead and buy my first deer license since I became eligible. My dad introduced me to hunting when he bought a little cabin in the woods, it's been about 8 years now and every year I go up about 5 times. Seems like each time I get up into the mountains excited to go for walks looking for small game, I turn a corner to find another clear cut. The reason I've never been driven to buy a deer license is the simple fact that I have never seen a single deer up there, and I can't help feeling more unmotivated every time we pull over to let a logging truck go by. My dad told me about his friends who used to deer hunt around where the cabin is, but now they go to other places and struggle still. Seems like everything around here is going down except striped bass, I'm just hoping one day I'll be able to show someone what my dad has shown me up there.

#24 abuckisabuck

abuckisabuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:58 AM

I've always been tempted to go ahead and buy my first deer license since I became eligible. My dad introduced me to hunting when he bought a little cabin in the woods, it's been about 8 years now and every year I go up about 5 times. Seems like each time I get up into the mountains excited to go for walks looking for small game, I turn a corner to find another clear cut. The reason I've never been driven to buy a deer license is the simple fact that I have never seen a single deer up there, and I can't help feeling more unmotivated every time we pull over to let a logging truck go by. My dad told me about his friends who used to deer hunt around where the cabin is, but now they go to other places and struggle still. Seems like everything around here is going down except striped bass, I'm just hoping one day I'll be able to show someone what my dad has shown me up there.

I feel for you, i'm trying to help my nephew to get into it as well.  It's hard and sometimes you wonder if its just a setup for failure and discouragement.  But you know, with effort, its still possible.  Maybe not every year but every now and then, you could tag one.  Every few years, the winter gives us a break and you get a good year or two and on it goes.   There is still a seed, with careful management for the land, there 'could' be a future.

I sometimes comfort myself in that if it was easy, I probably wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.  But I have limits LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users