10 replies to this topic

#1 Yotie

Yotie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Check this out ,seen it before but thought some of you may not have ===== This area is famous for it lumber camps and lumbermen who worked the resources. The following is an excerpt from the Virtual Museum dedicated to the Lumber Industry of the Nepisiguit River. “It was on the “44″, north of Three-Corner Lake, that the famed Lazare Roussel had a logging camp in 1920-21. Originally from Tracadie, NB, he came to work for the Bathurst Lumber Co. as a teenager and soon became a camp foreman. During the spring log drives on the Nepisiguit River watershed, he rendered a number of emergency rescues to men caught in log jams. During the influenza epidemic in the early 1900s, he dared to run the river by canoe to transport sick, dying or dead men to Bathurst, NB. Lazare Roussel was known as a legendary woodsman, a great hunter and expert canoe man. It was on October 10, 1917 that he shot a record moose in the Upper Nepisiguit River area. The spread of the antlers was an impressive 183 cm (72 inches). The set of antlers was purchased by Angus L. McLean and hung in his California Lake Camp. Lawrence Chamberlain who catered to the California Lake Camps over a period of 30 years remembers the large set of antlers in the Lodge but it is unknown where the set of antlers are presently. The California Camps no longer exist. In mid 1920s, Roussel became Chief of Police for Bathurst and was known for his ability to keep the peace as well as being an outstanding detective.”

#2 700 Lefty

700 Lefty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

I saw a picture of this rack and wow! the pans are not great but the sheer width was something else.

#3 archerynutNB

archerynutNB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Very Interesting! Would be nice to see a pic of those antlers!

#4 Yotie

Yotie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 04:08 AM

In the book ,Men of the Autumn woods(or could be Guides of the Autumn Woods by Gerry Parker i think ,there is a picture of this

#5 hunt4life

hunt4life

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

In the book ,Men of the Autumn woods(or could be Guides of the Autumn Woods by Gerry Parker i think ,there is a picture of this

Yes it is in the book, Men of the Autumn Woods page 178, i see if i can post it

Bear Recurve

Savage 110 30-60

Savage m-25 .223

Savage 99E .308

#6 Yotie

Yotie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:29 AM

Thanks hunt4life,i can`t find my book,wouldn`t it be neat if someone knew where these antlers were ,bet someone does ,there the NB record still i believe

#7 Big Bore

Big Bore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:27 AM

Very interesting story never herd it before . I have a camp it that area .(the 40 , just past california lake ) the 44 runs parallel to the 40 a couple miles over.Definitely great moose country ,there are many impressive animals that come out of there every year . Used to be good big buck area up there until probably the late 80's , sightings are pretty rare nowadays . I have heard stories of my great uncles and other men that they worked with up river cutting wood in the early 1900's that would walk there from Bathurst and walk back a few months later (it's like 50-60 miles each ways)

#8 Yotie

Yotie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

Not sure what area that 72" Moose come from but i think it`s also in the book Men of the Autumn Woods,but if i remember right it was towards the Xmas mountains area. Those horns are most likely hanging in a camp somewhere ,wonder where ,or may have gotten shipped to the states,like much of our War treasures an antiques

#9 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • LocationOutdoors (but not right now lol!)

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

The upper reaches of the Nepisiguit have always been famed for trophy bull moose and monster brookies.

I have heard of the exploits by Mr. Roussel, and even heard a tail that he had poled up the Narrows section of the Nepisiguit.

Now, I own a camp not to far from the Narrows section, and I wouldn't even dare canoe or kayak down this 90ft gorge, let alone try to pole it upstream with a 20 ft birchbark canoe....a true testament how those NB woods guide were quite capable.

We used to have a camp up above the 44; 3 corner lake area. They are still huge moose out there. ;) ;)

Sports (mostly Americans and Brits) would even come down all the way accross from PlasterRock and mostly Riley Brook, where the best outfitter camps offered remote hunts in the upper reaches of the Bathurst lake areas.

A well publicised shooting of a young lady by the name of Lyman on the Tobique in the '20s (her father was a well known attorney) holds a tie to the Nepisiguit, as one of the most famous big trout pools (now under the Crown Reserve stretch) is named after her father; Lyman's pool.

If some of the old cabin walls could talk up river.....my oh my the stories they would tell....

#10 Big Bore

Big Bore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNorth East

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

The upper reaches of the Nepisiguit have always been famed for trophy bull moose and monster brookies.

I have heard of the exploits by Mr. Roussel, and even heard a tail that he had poled up the Narrows section of the Nepisiguit.

Now, I own a camp not to far from the Narrows section, and I wouldn't even dare canoe or kayak down this 90ft gorge, let alone try to pole it upstream with a 20 ft birchbark canoe....a true testament how those NB woods guide were quite capable.

We used to have a camp up above the 44; 3 corner lake area. They are still huge moose out there. ;) ;)

Sports (mostly Americans and Brits) would even come down all the way accross from PlasterRock and mostly Riley Brook, where the best outfitter camps offered remote hunts in the upper reaches of the Bathurst lake areas.

A well publicised shooting of a young lady by the name of Lyman on the Tobique in the '20s (her father was a well known attorney) holds a tie to the Nepisiguit, as one of the most famous big trout pools (now under the Crown Reserve stretch) is named after her father; Lyman's pool.

If some of the old cabin walls could talk up river.....my oh my the stories they would tell....

Ya i think we should just drop this topic , theres already been way to much talking about this area : there will be a mass influx of people applying for that zone now .......lets start a topic on some other zone.

#11 Elk_Hunter_4Ever

Elk_Hunter_4Ever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:54 PM

awesome story, wish I could see them ANTLERS!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users