• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:02 PM

Hey all, I'm new to the forum. Name's Blake, from Nova Scotia originally, currently living in Saskatchewan but planning to move back to the maritimes (hopefully this spring).

We're thinking about New Brunswick when we move and trying to decide what area we want to move to. While choosing an area is based on more than hunting, being able to hit the woods for a freezer full of game is important to me. Planning on working from home so finding an area based on work isn't so important but we'd like to be closer to one of the bigger centers (wife needs her Costco). Not looking for anyone's honey hole or anything but what areas of the province are known for good deer/moose numbers? We're hoping to sell our house here for a nice down payment on a place with a good piece of land to hunt, just would like to know if any particular zones or areas in general are heavy populated with game.

Thanks

#2 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

I wouldn't know where, in his province you can find an abundance of game. Used to be anywhere. I hunt mostly moose, a few whitetails, and guide bear hunters. Do quite well with all. Definitely not as good as it has been but my freezers full. Where I live and hunt there is 73.000 hectares of Crown Land surrounding me. Also the village I live in has a $1 land deal on, right now. 45 miles from Fredericton, 4 miles from Maine, and 80 miles from Saint John.

#3 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:31 AM

Thanks, sorry for the slow reply, been having troubles with the activating my account. 

How do you find crown land for hunting? I grew up in southern NS where my family had about 100 acres that I could run but never done much on crown. Is the area hunted pretty hard? That big a piece I'd imagine it's pretty good, probably don't run into others often. We've been toying with the idea of buying a cheap place with a good chunk of land (my want) vs a nicer house and using crown (wife's preference) but there's a draw to owning a nice piece of land that's all yours.

We keep bouncing back and forth between going to NS vs NB but seems the housing costs in NB are a bit cheaper and I've always loved the province. After 6 years out west anywhere east of here will feel more like home. We thought about the Moncton area but lately been thinking maybe trying to stay in the western portion of the province, maybe somewhere in the St. Stephen, McAdam area, kind of the whole south west corner. Seems like (from what little google can tell) it's good woodland and not as populated. The wife can be close to a city yet close enough for some cross border shopping.

#4 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:45 PM

I live in the McAdam area. There are a few whitetails and some are nice and Moose is fairly abundant. The area around here is mostly Crown. It is such a big area, it's rare to find other hunters nearby. Land is fairly cheap, and there are some fairly large parcels in the St.Stephen area for sale.

#5 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

We've been looking (just online for now) at a place in the Lawrence Station area, seems like a nice parcel and decently priced, wife's a little concerned about internet availability (she's a web designer) but I guess for a good rural property good broadband might have to be the trade off. Sounds like the type of hunting I'm looking for so once this place sells I think we'll be on our way to check out some spots in the area. Thanks

#6 Duckboy2010

Duckboy2010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:55 PM

Here is a link to the 2017 big game report. It will give you an idea of moose and deer populations in various parts of the province

https://www2.gnb.ca/...ife/BigGame.pdf

#7 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thanks, Was actually looking around last night to see if I could find something like that. Looking like (fingers crossed) we'll be looking at this summer to move so hopefully getting there in time for a fall hunt

#8 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

Lawrence Station is a nice quiet area. Good moose hunting, and bear hunting in the area. Putting a few bear baits in that area this spring. There are a few  deer in that area, and lots of Crown land to hunt on. If you are into ATVs, and snowmobiles there are lots of trails, and old roads to run on. Not that far from St.Stephen, and Fredericton, and good highways to travel on. Good Brook Trout fishing in the area. Both the Magaguadavic and Didgeguash have nice trout.

#9 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:51 PM

Sounds like the type of area we're looking for. Hopefully we can get everything to fall into place and make it happen.
Thanks

#10 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 20 February 2019 - 02:36 PM

Check out Coastal Realty. There is 15 acres for sale on the Digdegauash river, just south of Lawrence Station. Nice spot and the price is great. Power to the side of the property. Not much on it for wood but a really nice lot of land.

#11 RusticGrain

RusticGrain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 11:28 AM

One last question about the area, my wife works as a web designer/social media stuff, how hard is it to get decent internet in rural areas there?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users