#1 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

K people I came across a pair of tracks today while yote hunting they were the same size as yote tracks but the pads were twice as long and the toes were skinny and there were claw marks so not a cat what does every one think. coon? skunk? realy cold so i duno.

#2 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

I can't be 100% sure based on Description, but if I had to guess:

Posted Image

Live your obsessions on the web with us!  Hunting, Fishing, and much much more.

http://www.wildernessobsession.com

About 250,000 Deer in New Brunswick in 1985.  Less than 60,000 today.  Can we demand change yet?
New Brunswick - Can't see the Forest for the *spruce* Trees

Over 20,000 people have read our interview with Rod Cumberland about the state and the future of the New Brunswick Deer Herd.  Have you?
If a Tree Falls - Rod Cumberland

#3 Marlin 444

Marlin 444

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Locationsackville

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

I can't be 100% sure based on Description, but if I had to guess:

Posted Image

fischer maybe????

#4 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

there was two together.

#5 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

there was two together.

Sorry, I meant to reply with a serious comment after the Jackalope, but then wifey started talking about something and it slipped my mind. In honesty I'm thinking Marten or Fisher, take a look at this, does this look kinda like what you saw?

Posted Image

About 250,000 Deer in New Brunswick in 1985.  Less than 60,000 today.  Can we demand change yet?

Over 20,000 people have read our interview with Rod Cumberland about the state and the future of the New Brunswick Deer Herd.  Have you?

#6 Bowtech

Bowtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts
  • LocationBelleisle Creek

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Coons are running this time of year as well.
Bowtech Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

#7 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:23 PM

wardo tey look right but the big pics dont show the whole pad like i saw there was about 1/8 of dusty snow on the crust and the prints were realy clear the spaceing and look of the smaller pics look right approx 24'' by 4'' they must be cool to know i'v never saw a fisher in the wild or martin must be mateing season for them hope i can catch a peek. next time im out i wonder if they like cooking oil and pork scraps that would be cool.

#8 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

they might be coons bowtech they look alot like there tracks but iv never seen one in the real cold i always thought they hybernated in the winter now its bugging me ill have to go back out in the mourning to see if there still around.

#9 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

they might be coons bowtech they look alot like there tracks but iv never seen one in the real cold i always thought they hybernated in the winter now its bugging me ill have to go back out in the mourning to see if there still around.

Raccoons do "hibernate" like bears, but just like bears, they'll wake up from time to time and venture out. Raccoon hibernation is more just a sluggishness when their whole body slows down and they're very inactive rather than a true hibernation. Because of this they can go out and even hunt sometimes.

#10 maugervilleboy

maugervilleboy

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationMaugerville New Brunswick Canada

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

Raccoons do "hibernate" like bears, but just like bears, they'll wake up from time to time and venture out. Raccoon hibernation is more just a sluggishness when their whole body slows down and they're very inactive rather than a true hibernation. Because of this they can go out and even hunt sometimes.

I saw a raccoon walking down the sidewalk in Oromocto last night, Surprised to have seen it.

#11 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:31 PM

I saw a raccoon walking down the sidewalk in Oromocto last night, Surprised to have seen it.

Probably crossed at a crosswalk too, pretty smart critters.

#12 hawkenhunter

hawkenhunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

I seen a roadkilled coon last week in that mild spell.Them bandits come out occasionally in winter when it warms up but I can't imagine them being out and about in this deep freeze?

As for the tracks in question....most likely a cougar. :D

#13 Bowtech

Bowtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts
  • LocationBelleisle Creek

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

I think it's coming into mating season for coons right now which may explain why they are starting to run?
Bowtech Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

#14 swampthang

swampthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:56 PM

you don't by chance have a coyote blind on the little lake behind the mill do you, was out snowmobiling and came across one the other day and wondered if it was yours

#15 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

ya thats mine swampthang anyone can use it just shoot the yotes lol got one today calling by ozzies...ps thats were the tracks were.

#16 swampthang

swampthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:28 PM

I thought it might be, I'm hauling a bunch of bait into my site tomorrow, the dogs have been coming pretty regular, going to hunt it next week, if all goes well at work, now that it's staying lighter later in the evening

#17 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 09 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

swampthang hows your bait pile doing they stoped comming to mine so iv been just calling lately.

#18 whaler

whaler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:21 AM

I think it's coming into mating season for coons right now which may explain why they are starting to run?

Maybe a Wild Turkey with snowshoes?? lol
The Whaler!

#19 swampthang

swampthang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

they are still coming , but am going to have to move it this weekend, it's on a pond on the old Saint John Rd but with the warm wet weather and spring holes time to move it somewhere on solid ground,out of the way, anytime we sat it had snowmobilers come in , look at the bait and leave never knowing we were watching lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users