#1 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:28 PM

My Dad and I own a few woodlots and on 3 of them there is tremendous damage from the huge snow fall last winter.
Areas on these 3 woodlots total about 125 acres, and the stands consist of 30yr old jack pine plantation,natural spruce,fir,birch and maple thinning done 30 and 20 yrs ago.
We were not planning any harvesting on these stands for 15-30 years
90+% will be planted in red spruce. Very little will come back naturally in commercial species.
Although one area may be a nice spot for a small field to clear/seed in for deer to feed.

#2 Country Man

Country Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • LocationEast Branch NB

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

My Dad and I own a few woodlots and on 3 of them there is tremendous damage from the huge snow fall last winter.
Areas on these 3 woodlots total about 125 acres, and the stands consist of 30yr old jack pine plantation,natural spruce,fir,birch and maple thinning done 30 and 20 yrs ago.
We were not planning any harvesting on these stands for 15-30 years
90+% will be planted in red spruce. Very little will come back naturally in commercial species.
Although one area may be a nice spot for a small field to clear/seed in for deer to feed.

Wasn't aware you had a huge snow fall in Sussex last winter. :unsure:
"The Whitetail Bloodtrails"

#3 ArcheryAddiction

ArcheryAddiction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2304 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

Deer lol. Better luck with Bears up there.

#4 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

"Wasn't aware you had a huge snow fall in Sussex last winter."

I was in Alberta last winter and I heard of the # of storms and the amount of snow the accumulated here in NB.

"Deer lol. Better luck with Bears up there."

I wasn't thinking the Mechanic Lake blocks I'm thinking of the 3rd block that we had to cut

#5 I'M a Proffesional

I'M a Proffesional

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:42 AM

Holy smokes a 125 acre food plot.That would be awesome.However you may need to keep wood sales to cover cost of clearing and planting plot.

#6 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

125 ac food plot... that would be alot of stumping.
It was all farm land a 100+ years ago. Crops of rocks every year without fail.
there is 1 area a little out of the way where I plan to put in a small field.
I'd like at least a couple acres and feed some deer.
The closest fields are a few clicks away and I'd like to see more deer sticking around.
There is alot of hardwood browse where we have cut and then thinned before but a little help with some crops should not hurt.

#7 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • LocationOutdoors (but not right now lol!)

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:36 AM

Jack Pine (or grey pine) does not fare well with heavy snows and gail force winds, especially when the timber stand is very dense and not thinned enough. We have a lot of damage to these timber stands up here in the last few years, mostly due to the fact they haven't been thinned out by the lumber companies, the trees are athrophied, and they create a snow accumulator, which eventually the branching and trunks cannot withstand the snow load anymore.

I would suggest you diversify your stand and thin it out some more, but I'm certainly no expert in the field.

Good luck with your endeavour.

#8 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Jack pine or princess pine was supposed to be the answer to the spruce budworm scare 40-30 yrs ago when it was thought that budworm was going to eat all our fir and spruce.
Alot of clearcutting was done in those times to salvage the wood that was dead and dying from the outbreak of budworm the best example: the Cape Breton Highlands
I remember places here in southern NB that whole woodlots were grey from dying trees and worms falling off the trees by the hundreds sizzling off the exhausts of machines.

That being said gov. and industry said to stop budworm and insure this doesn't happen again...plant jackpine. And alot of it on sites that pine will never grow well or properly. And that my friends is why I'm in this situation today. Shallow soil where spruce and fir will grow and pine was planted and 10s of thousands of trees fell over and broke off last winter on my woodlots and many others.

FYI:$$ we are getting for the wood compared to what we could have gotten in 25-30 yrs....about 20-25% OUCH!

#9 Grouser47

Grouser47

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

The absolute worst thing you can do for deer is to cut and thin. Deer/grouse and a lot of other critters like early successional forests (thickets). 9,000 to 12,000 stems per acre is desirable. Its best to cut and let the natural re gen grow, planting smaller food plots a couple of acres here and there.

#10 Bowtech

Bowtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts
  • LocationBelleisle Creek

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Is there a question in there somewhere? You're harvesting 125 acres of damaged Jack pine and replanting 90% to red spruce? So you will have about 12 acres; edge stuff or ground that will be missed with scarification or a couple of acres to put in a plot? Just from the nature of the replant there won't be much there in the way of deer. When you say commercial species I take it you mean mean naturally recurring spruce. There are hardwood options for commercial timber but you won't realize the benefit in your lifetime nor does it receive government funding to plant.

The absolute worst thing you can do for deer is to cut and thin.

Not really, the worst thing is replanting it all to red spruce :D
Bowtech Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

#11 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

No there was no question there.
A good woodlot owner when faced with the
decisions that had to be made also makes the decision
to replant.
Red spruce and some black spruce is the correct choice.
I'm looking forward to seeing this lot in the next 5,10 and 20 years.
It's going to look great.

#12 Bowtech

Bowtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1610 posts
  • LocationBelleisle Creek

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:57 PM

:lol: I guess it would depend on what a person considers an appropriate course of action for a "good woodlot owner" and the goals one has for wildlife and their woodlot. Unfortunately for financial compensation to replant it becomes the only option sans natural regen in early sucessional species or covering the cost yourself.

You might also want to consider a few soft and hard mast trees around your plot area to further increase it's attractiveness.
Bowtech Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

#13 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:25 AM

"You might also want to consider a few soft and hard mast trees around your plot area to further increase it's attractiveness"

waste of time, considering the amount of natural hardwood browse around the area from past pre-commercial thinnings (maple, birch and poplar)
I've planted small plots before of trees like butternut, oak, cedar and they are quickly eaten, Its like putting cotton candy out at picnic.

Boy Scouts were out a few Saturdays ago and did an acre or so of tree planting, under the guidance of a couple guys from the SNB Wood COOP.

#14 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

turns out the total acres to be planted is 166.

Some glad for the rain this weekend, it was really dry on a couple sites and stressing the seedlings pretty bad.
total trees to be planted...approximately 150,000!
a mixture of black, red,white spruce and white pine

#15 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Got another advanced plantation clearcut 2 winters ago,

just had the SNB Wood COOP crew plant it in Red Spruce, finish planting it last week

13000+ trees on a clear cut that was a 30 year old Red Pine plantation that was dying of a virus/fungus that is effecting red pine in the region

#16 4evrhntn

4evrhntn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationCodys N.B.

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

Hope we dont see you on here complaining about irving?

l

#17 anticostiguide

anticostiguide

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNorth East N.B.

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

Keep it clean Guys!   Thanks!             AG

#18 Critter

Critter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

Keep it clean Guys!   Thanks!             AG

Jesus h......maybe we should start knitting and selling cookies.....

#19 takin'time

takin'time

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationSussex

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Hope we dont see you on here complaining about irving?

I'm wondering why "we" would hope that?

considering the clearcuts I have mentioned were necessary to,salvage wood/volume and $$, that otherwise would have been a complete loss

considering that the planting of 13,000 trees a couple weeks ago is on a 18 acre clearcut

considering that I hold +1500 acres, 18 acres doesn't represent much of the total area

considering that the salvage cut of 166 acres, 5 years ago, was definitely not the normal way my lots are managed but was the best option/solution for the situation

considering that in the past 40+ years, the majority of areas harvested were done in such a way that natural regeneration of many species was present, protected or encouraged during harvest

Doesn't put me in the same league as JDI, as you imply 

But at least you are on here reading and posting, because there seems to days nothing goes on here

#20 Harry

Harry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationIn the bayou

Posted 30 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Critter put my name down for a pair of nice socks and mitts for next season.  We can trade for bud lite if you want or bar clams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users