#1 ARSENO

ARSENO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

Never tried hunting these guys before but might give it a shot. Is it worth my time? To be honest, I'm in the woods quite a bit and never see any. I mainly hunt crows, but I got no clue how to find\bait groundhogs. Some insight would be appreciated!

#2 ChrisCaine96

ChrisCaine96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationRiverview New Brunswick

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

i also would like to try groundhogs, same as you tho no idea where or how to start.

#3 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

find a farmer with a... problem, maybe out in the woods is not the place to find a bunch of them...i know the majority i see are in town limits. They seem to like fields with good loam soil (easy tunnel making?) and banks or high points to look out from. There was a field and stream article years ago about hunting them and cooking them up. All i remember was that they said they were like fat rabbits. Never "hunted" them , but had a problem with them... set the dogs on them. Might have to try skinning and eating one :)

#4 ChrisCaine96

ChrisCaine96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:23 AM

so im thinkin some weekend a bunch of us should get together and try our hand at huntin some of these hogs?

#5 ARSENO

ARSENO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationMoncton NB

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

Sounds like a plan, we can bring the shotguns too in case we see more crows then groundhogs.

#6 Resourceful Redneck

Resourceful Redneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

I would totally be in for that if it is around the Moncton area. Any body have any idea how we can track down a farmer with an issue? We used to pick them off on the farm when I was a kid. My dad had a very unique method of getting the buggers to peek up out of their holes.

#7 ChrisCaine96

ChrisCaine96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

im gonna guess knock on farmers doors an ask? all else fails, throw the decoys and call out and blast some crows - always a good time :)

#8 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

1. Country-Style Groundhog:

Ingredients:
1. 7 individual groundhogs
2. ½ cup flour
3. ¼ tsp. salt
4. ¼ tsp. pepper
5. ¼ tsp. soda
6. ¼ c. cooking oil
7. ½ tsp. sugar

Prepare groundhog by removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water. This will help remove the gamey flavor. Combine flour, salt, pepper, and soda; use as a rub on the groundhog. Brown the groundhog in hot oil in the skillet, and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce heat, add 1 ½ cup water. Cover, simmer for about 30 minutes or until tender. Remove cover; let cook for an additional 10 minutes. (Recipe provided byhttp://www.ifood.tv/...style_groundhog ).

#9 HighlandHounds

HighlandHounds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Does nobody have terriers? Best method of groundhog control by far. But ya need a small type. Good schooling for young terriers before moving to fox etc

#10 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Wildchef is right on.
THe only place I ever see them in the woods is on the high banks of roads like the TCH or the high banks of rivers bordering farmers' fields. Beside the big culverts that go under roads is about the only other place I ever see them in the woods, on the sunny side of the bank.
My father in law gets them on his land every year and he has fields with some hills. They are fun to pick off from a distance. My girlfriend has a photo of me last year sitting on his front porch with the 223 in lap and a Tim Horton's in my hand, slouched in a lawnchair - fast asleep! I am quite a wary hunter, lol.

#11 Edgefest

Edgefest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSussex, nb

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

I'm up for some crow blasting on sat afternoon. I can chip in a coupke decoys and a call

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users