I found this quite hypocritical! - Other Harvestable Wildlife - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

I found this quite hypocritical!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gone hunting

gone hunting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Locationnb

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

I was watching tv the other day, and on "Land and Sea" the topic was called the "Politics of the Pelt" and it was discussing and interviewing people who were effected by them basicly shutting down the sealing industry due to pressure from animal rights activists and whoever didn't agree with the harvest of these cute little creatures.It talked about how the fishermen who used to rely on this industry for at least 40% of their annual income, and the shops and tanning houses that have shut down and the people are now unemployed.After the show was over I turned to the new big hit show "Swamp people" and watched a bunch of hillbillies hook gators with treble hooks, fight him for a while then they pop him in the head on tv with a 22 rifle, and everyone is like wow this is crazy and they laugh.My question is "How come these two situations are considered different?".

#2 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

It's a matter of perception. Seals are depicted as cute, cuddly, friendly little animals that wouldn't cause pain to anyone. Alligators are killers that maim and mutilate everything that gets in their way, monsters with huge teeth. I watch swamp people but not for the killing of alligators, it's about the cajun personality.

#3 daveyn

daveyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationHarewood NB

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

I couldn't agree more, add to that mix the fact that the seals are defenseless babies with a huge cute factor and everybody's appalled that we could club the poor things to death. Alligators are the monsters that live under the bed so nobody says boo even though the purpose of killing them is exactly the same (foreign fashion market) and the gators suffer a lot more and a lot longer hung up on the hook.
I'd like to see a show called Rock People about the NFLD seal hunt, betcha that would generate some very interesting TV personalities and once people figured out the language some pretty good TV.
Lard Tunderin Billy she's blowin a gale....tell where yer to and I'll come to where's ya's at.
If you keep doing what you've always done you'll keep getting what you've always got...

#4 gone hunting

gone hunting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Locationnb

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I agree with you guys, I think that show would be just as entertaining....lol.I just find it funny that Paul McCartney {Muti- Millionaire and foreigner} shows up, kisses a seal, and shuts down an industry that feeds families.I want to see him in Louisianne kissin' a gator, if he's so concerned about the health and welfare of the animal world.....lol.

#5 anticostiguide

anticostiguide

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 946 posts
  • LocationNorth East N.B.

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

I watch swamp people all the time and all i can say that you make a great point. But mayby if Paul M. would try this in the U.S. he might never make out of the swamp.....lol and as if i care.

#6 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

I'm afraid Sir Paul would probably end up as somebodies secret bait. I'm not sure a gator would eat that crap. I'd pay to watch him and Pam Anderson kiss a gator. Now that would be entertaining.

#7 sailorpat

sailorpat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

Its funny to see McCartney almost get bitten by a baby seal when you watch the press interview, A gator woulden't have mised.

#8 burnfly

burnfly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Locationbathurst surrounding

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:29 AM

have u guys seen the show duck dynasty they are way better rednecker hillbilly and funny as **** then swamp people i use to watch swamp people but got tired of it look more like a drama show then a hunting wild beast show and they don't really hunt them they hook them up and let them hanging for a day or so then take like 5min to shoot the thing when the barrel is touching is head and then they feel like real tough hunter lol
anyone seen the episode where the gator was caught in bushes on land they where scare shitless to go kill it lol
i bet a tv show about lobster fishing could have as much action/drama as that show only if they would shoot the lobster in the cage lol

#9 AGD68

AGD68

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Yes, the whole tree hugger thing is pespective. All kinds of people screaming and scheming to stamp out hunting and trapping but I have never heard of any groups trying to stop sport fishing. What's "crueler" a quick death or being impaled on a hook, fought to exhaustion and let go so someone else can do it again later. dont get me wrong, I love fishing too, just showing the perspective.

#10 Bill Gass

Bill Gass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationOromocto, NB

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

The best part of Paul M's trip was when he got dressed down by Nfld Premier Danny Williams on live TV and Paul M. makes the mistake of saying that he was in Nfld and Danny Williams corrects him and says "No Paul your in PEI". The other big difference between Swamp people and Nfld sealing is the country that they are in and the market that the product eventually goes to. Ya it's total BS here we have millions of seals gobbling up an ever shrinking fish population and a province that severely needs jobs and they can't take advantage of this natural resource. On a side note I saw a good bumper sticker recently when I was in Maine it said "if you don't like the forest industry then try wiping your ass with plastic".

Bill G.
PS - Danny Williams for Prime Minister, who's with me?

#11 gone hunting

gone hunting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Locationnb

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

The best part of Paul M's trip was when he got dressed down by Nfld Premier Danny Williams on live TV and Paul M. makes the mistake of saying that he was in Nfld and Danny Williams corrects him and says "No Paul your in PEI". The other big difference between Swamp people and Nfld sealing is the country that they are in and the market that the product eventually goes to. Ya it's total BS here we have millions of seals gobbling up an ever shrinking fish population and a province that severely needs jobs and they can't take advantage of this natural resource. On a side note I saw a good bumper sticker recently when I was in Maine it said "if you don't like the forest industry then try wiping your ass with plastic".

Bill G.
PS - Danny Williams for Prime Minister, who's with me?

LOL....ya its funny he even knew he was in the maritimes....GO DANNY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users