20 replies to this topic

#1 Victorem

Victorem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEdmundston

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I just hit a spot yesterday up north-west NB for the first time, an old 9 hole golf course... Nobody is hunting crows up there. No decoys, no bait just a couple cra-cra and they came in bunches of 5!! I didnt shoot because I wanted to pull as much as I could! I could count at lease 20 of them flying over my head... i waited for a while and unloaded my 12ga... I dropped 3 of them with 2 3/4" shells on full steel choke.
But I couldn't get them to come back? Would decoys make a difference in that scenario? Bait?

Let's have a Rock n' Rolla Cowboy Talk!! Thx guys!!

#2 Unconventional Hunter

Unconventional Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBathurst

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I've only been out crow hunting a handful of times but a friend of mine brought decoys once and it seemed to help a lot. Even after the bang, if they still see crows on the ground not trying to fly away they feel a bit safer and stick around more it seems.

Not to jack your thread, but maybe someone could answer this for me. Crows vs Ravens. How do I know what I'm shooting? I feel like most of what I get is Ravens as they're awfully big to be crows. Does the DNR discern between the two or is it just "shoot the big black bird"?
Are these bullets bent?

#3 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Crows are easily 1/3 less size than Ravens.. There are no differences in DNR eyes as far as I Know, but a very good Question.
Home of Paparazzi home Brew Game cams.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Victorem

Victorem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEdmundston

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Its an open topic... so its okay Unconventional Hunter!! Totally agree eith Old Guide!!
Good stuff, good question!

#5 HUNT247

HUNT247

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

Ravens are federally protected I believe, big trouble!
East Coast Waterfowl Mafia
YouTube page
http://www.youtube.c...M1?feature=mhee
Facebook page
https://www.facebook.../Waterfowlmafia

#6 ChrisCaine96

ChrisCaine96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationRiverview New Brunswick

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

i found sometimes you can get either a big crow or a small raven, but what gives it away is the calls they make, crows are much higher pitched when they call, once you hear the difference in the two its very easy to tell what is what. i use an electronic call for them so theyre always squacking when they come in. Love it tho, its a blast!

#7 Unconventional Hunter

Unconventional Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBathurst

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

Ravens are federally protected I believe, big trouble!

Yeah I kinda thought so too. But not going to panic about it either.

i found sometimes you can get either a big crow or a small raven, but what gives it away is the calls they make

This is one reason why I won't take blame if I accidently shot a raven, because they can mimic the sound of ANYTHING. I wasted a good half hour one day while hunting grouse because I heard a wild turkey nearby and sat around to see if anything would come of it. Some time later, I saw the raven switch trees and continue gobbling. Clever little SOB, had me going for a while.
Are these bullets bent?

#8 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDouglas Harbour

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Ravens USUALLY have a really deep throaty call but like unconventional brought up they will mimic a lot of noises, and if you can here him coming ie here is wings going thrugh the air very loudly and clearly is likely a raven, they have heavier and wider wings than a crow, makes them quite noisy when they fly over you...but then again hard to hear that over a 12ga lol

On an interesting note I watched a lot of documentary on ravens and talked a lot about them when i was in school..and they can even mimic non-biological sounds, and even have the capability of finding food , flying to a roost miles and miles away out of sound range and communicating to others where to find the food, pretty well giving them directions. they did a study where they dropped a roadkill deer , tagged teh ravens that showed up, and then tracked them, they had flown a long way to the roost, far enough it couldnt call others from the deer location, the next day several different ravens from the roost were at the deer at different times of day, so they hadnt followed the others they had to have been somehow ``told`` where to go the night before...also crows and ravens one of the few bitrd species known to make and use tools to get food...look it uo on youtube its pretty crazy how smart they really are i think its under life of birds raven or something similar

Blood, sweat and FEATHERS!!

Winchester 1300 12ga

Ithica SKB semi auto 12 ga

Remington  870 wingmaster 12ga

T/C dimension 22-250rem

Savage Axis .308win

Marlin 336  30-30win

Savage 93  17hmr

Rem 597 22lr

Marlin 795 .22lr

#9 stroover

stroover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

If I can figure out how to put a media file on here, I'll post raven and crow calls for ya's.
When it's over I want to hit the ground like a spend shell.

#10 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I really never heard of Ravens being Protected, it should be interesting to find out if they are. I have my doubts that they are.

#11 Victorem

Victorem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEdmundston

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Never heard of Ravens been protected either.. we should get some reliable info about this subject!
Good talk!

#12 Unconventional Hunter

Unconventional Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBathurst

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:34 PM

I lived out in Alberta for a while and I heard they were protected there because they help A LOT with cleaning up roadkill which was a serious problem where I lived. A deer was hit pretty well every day within 30 minutes of town. Kinda thought that was a provincial thing though.
Are these bullets bent?

#13 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

I pulled this off the 2012 Alberta guide to hunting regulations.
All birds are protected except the following: Starlings, Crows, Pigeons, House (English) Sparrows, Magpies, Blackbirds, Common Grackles, Brown-headed Cowbirds, Ravens (hunted on private land by residents) and any other birds for which an open season has been declared by the regulations as indicated in the summary.

#14 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

I don't know the answer - in fact I've often wondered what the REAL answer is - but I would think that if it was legal to hunt ravens in NB, it would say so in the regs just as it does for every other legal species.

#15 Clay_G

Clay_G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

It is illegal to hunt ravens in canada do to some treaty that was signed with the states.

Easiest way to tell between a crow and raven is when in flight a crows tail feathers will be straight across and a ravens tail feathers have a curve to them.

#16 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Personally I would like to see something From the Regulations in New Brunswick as I have not Read anything on not Hunting Ravens but , it always just mentions Crow Hunting in the Summary.

#17 Resourceful Redneck

Resourceful Redneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:59 PM

Boys, I don't know how easy it would be to tell the difference from 40 yards away up in a spruce tree line. I have asked the DNR Minister's assistant and should have an answer this week. BTW, I also asked him if it is illegal to shoot a raven, how many fines have been levied. Something tells me that is not a very heavily enforced law if it exists. But this is a great question especially when I am trying to teach a new hunter how to be legal and ethical in the woods.

#18 TheCoachZed

TheCoachZed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

The ravens I've seen in the woods travel in smaller groups (usually pairs) and they're larger. They will investigate a crow call but won't get worked up into a frizzle over it. Their call is totally different.

#19 Resourceful Redneck

Resourceful Redneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Folks;
I received the following as an answer from DNR on the Crow V.S. Raven discussion:
"Yes, it is illegal to shoot ravens, as they are not listed on any license. If one were to do so he or she would be in violation of Sect. 34(2)(a) of the Fish & Wildlife Act, and if convicted, would receive a fine of $124.50.

Section 34(2)(a) reads as follows:

34(2)(a)Every person commits an offence who hunts wildlife, other than beaver, bobcat, fisher, marten, mink, otter, raccoon or red fox unless authorized by licence issued under this Act or the regulations,

Nine persons have been convicted of this offense in the last three years."

I hope this helps clear things up!

#20 lobsterman

lobsterman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMoncton

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm surprised that nine people have been charged in three years. I would have thought the number would have been, like, zero. Or less. :D
As a frequent crow hunter, I'll have to be extra careful.
Thanks for checking this out BB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users