106 replies to this topic

#1 guitarshooter

guitarshooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

can i hunt hunt Nuisance wildlife on sunday?
thankx

#2 T-Rex

T-Rex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

No you can't...only open Sundays during 3 sundays in deer season...

#3 4evrhntn

4evrhntn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationCodys N.B.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Yes you can if you are on your own land. The season on nuisance wildlife is always open.
l

#4 T-Rex

T-Rex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

First of all there is no such thing as hunting of nuisance wildlife; there is nuisance wildlife control which is something completely different and only applies if certain species are damaging property or otherwise causing a substantial problem.

I assume you are refering to varmint hunting which includes crow, coyote, etc. You can get a varmint license and actively hunt for these species...see hunt summary 2012. As for Sunday Hunting, please see below.

From the 2012 NB Hunting Summary:

Hunting is prohibited on all Sundays except those that occur between October 28 and November 17 in any year.

It doesn't matter who's land you are on, hunting is hunting.

#5 4evrhntn

4evrhntn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationCodys N.B.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

There is a list of animals on DNR website that are considered nuisance wildlife. You can kill these animals on your own property by any means you want any day of the year. The only thing you cant do is shoot them at night. Regular hunting laws do not apply to these animals on your own land and for technical purpose any land which the owner has asked you to remove theses animals and you are not getting paid. If you are being paid then you need a licence. Hope this clears up your misunderstanding.
l

#6 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

4evrhntn, where can I find this information you are sharing? I just checked DNR website and there wasn't much about nuisance wildlife or private property. Everything I read stated you needed a course and a license. I realize everything isn't on the site and that's why the original question. In the past I've hired nuisance trappers, as I thought that was the only legal way to get rid of these animals.

#7 4evrhntn

4evrhntn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationCodys N.B.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ill see if I can find it will try to post tommorow.
l

#8 Old guide

Old guide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I though that T-Rex was actually with DNR...TRex?
Home of Paparazzi home Brew Game cams.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:00 AM

trapping but your firearm has to be cased till its time to dispatch a animal..

#10 Sako

Sako

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationIN the woods

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:16 AM

Seely's cove hunter, I did see that in the act. Trappers can now carry a cased 22 rinfire on Sundays and after dispatching a trapped animal the firearm must be cased, again.

#11 marr1982

marr1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

34(4) Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the
owner or occupant of private land, or a person who would
be entitled to hold a licence issued under this Act or the
regulations and is designated by an owner or occupant of
private land may, in accordance with the regulations, hunt,
on any day and at any time, except during the night, or trap,
snare, remove or relocate on any day and at any time any
wildlife listed in subsection (5) that is found under, on or
above that private land, where necessary for the prevention
of
(a) damage to private property, or
( injury to owners of private property or owners or
occupants of private land.
Fish and Wildlife Act Chap. F-14.1

#12 marr1982

marr1982

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

34(5) The wildlife that may be hunted, trapped, snared,
removed or relocated under section (4) consists of American
crow, beaver, black rat, brown-headed cowbird, common
grackle, deer mouse, double-crested cormorant, eastern
chipmunk, eastern coyote, eastern flying squirrel,
European starling, grey squirrel, groundhog, house mouse,
house sparrow, long-tailed weasel, meadow jumping
mouse, meadow vole, mink, muskrat, northern flying
squirrel, Norway rat, porcupine, raccoon, red fox, red
squirrel, red-backed vole, red-winged blackbird, rock
dove, rock vole, short-tailed weasel, star-nosed mole,
striped skunk, varying hare or woodland-jumping mouse.

#13 T-Rex

T-Rex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

I though that T-Rex was actually with DNR...TRex?

I don't represent any organization on here, just myself. I read and know the laws as should anyone that chooses to take up our sport. Just don't want to see a guy get nailed for doing something illegal. I think the other posts should have cleared it up for him too.

Merry Christmas Everyone...hope there is something good under the tree!

#14 T-Rex

T-Rex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

The law is very clear and if not understood your best bet is to call a DNR office and get your questions answered from the horse's mouth...better yet, email someone and get it in writing.

#15 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:25 AM

Notice "hunted" is in the wording in sub (5) ..... if its not your land you will have to get transfer permit for your firearms from DNR....
34(4)Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the owner or occupant of private land, or a person who would be entitled to hold a licence issued under this Act or the regulations and is designated by an owner or occupant of private land may, in accordance with the regulations, hunt, on any day and at any time, except during the night, or trap, snare, remove or relocate on any day and at any time any wildlife listed in subsection (5) that is found under, on or above that private land, where necessary for the prevention of

(a)damage to private property, or

(b)injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land.

34(5)The wildlife that may be hunted, trapped, snared, removed or relocated under section (4) consists of American crow, beaver, black rat, brown-headed cowbird, common grackle, deer mouse, double-crested cormorant, eastern chipmunk, eastern coyote, eastern flying squirrel, European starling, grey squirrel, groundhog, house mouse, house sparrow, long-tailed weasel, meadow jumping mouse, meadow vole, mink, muskrat, northern flying squirrel, Norway rat, porcupine, raccoon, red fox, red squirrel, red-backed vole, red-winged blackbird, rock dove, rock vole, short-tailed weasel, star-nosed mole, striped skunk, varying hare or woodland-jumping mouse.

#16 m1nb

m1nb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationMiramichi

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

34(4) Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the
owner or occupant of private land, or a person who would
be entitled to hold a licence issued under this Act or the
regulations and is designated by an owner or occupant of
private land may, in accordance with the regulations, hunt,
on any day and at any time, except during the night, or trap,
snare, remove or relocate on any day and at any time any
wildlife listed in subsection (5) that is found under, on or
above that private land, where necessary for the prevention
of
(a) damage to private property, or
( injury to owners of private property or owners or
occupants of private land.
Fish and Wildlife Act Chap. F-14.1

There's more to the Act...You need written approval from the Minister with terms and conditions attached.

34(6)A person may apply in person or in writing to the Minister for written authorization to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate any wildlife referred to in subsection (5), or any other wildlife, that may cause damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land.

34(7)Notwithstanding subsections (2) and (3), the Minister, if satisfied that the hunting, trapping, snaring, removal or relocation of wildlife proposed under subsection (6) is necessary for the prevention of damage to private property or injury to owners of private property or owners or occupants of private land, may give written authorization to the applicant, authorizing the applicant to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate the wildlife, in accordance with the regulations and with the terms and conditions set out in the written authorization.

#17 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

34(6)A person MAY (Verb: Expressing possibility ) apply in person or in writing to the Minister for written authorization to hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate any wildlife referred to in subsection (5), or any other wildlife ( Example :Deer, Bear...etc )

Meaning that if you have say bee's and a bear is wreaking havoc of your hives you could go to DNR and request written consent to Shoot the bear, you do not need written consent if you shoot a coyote that was trying to haul off a sheep on a sunday afternoon... although you could go to DNR and request written consent to take care of the problem......with your 308

#18 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

"Nuisance Wildlife Control Regulation - Fish and Wildlife Act", Regulation 97-141

If you read this section of the Act, you will notice that "No person shall operate a nuisance wildlife control enterprise, or hunt, trap, snare, remove or relocate nuisance wildlife as the employee of a nuisance wildlife control enterprise, unless the person is the holder of an operator’s licence."

This has nothing to do with being able to hunt a nuisance wildlife on your own land on sunday?

#19 utopiahunter

utopiahunter

utopiahunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Locationlake utopia

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

why not just wait a day :D

#20 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

"I'm not sure how anyone can bastardize the meaning of a clearly written regulation".... LOL Thats what i keep thinking , so according to you if i decide to trap a rat in my wood pile i have to get written consent from DNR and proceed in the direction they prescribe.... ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users