Antler Laws - Licences Required- DNR CHANGE NEEDED! - Page 2 - Conservation - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

Antler Laws - Licences Required- DNR CHANGE NEEDED!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 08 November 2014 - 12:18 PM

So in summary, sako would be correct that you may not sell shed antlers carved as a citizen. But as a licensed taxidermist, you may sell shed antlers carved as trophies.

#22 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

But just because you can sell doesn't mean anyone is allowed to buy them.

#23 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • LocationOutdoors (but not right now lol!)

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

I have a bunch of sheds that I pick up every Spring, but I know guys who have tons.  I try to craft out of them as best I can, here is my lastest creation LOL!

If you ever come at our camp, you will have to press the doorbell before you may enter!   :D

I don't see how an antlers lying on the ground is part of an animal that was harvested in NB under the Fish and Wildlife Act, but I can see why DNR wants to use the provision of the Act to stop abuse of the buying and selling of parts of animals, as some of these are not sheds, but sawed off antlers from illegal activity maybe?   Don't have the answer...

RedNeckDoorBell_zps9b290030.jpg

#24 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:51 PM

Nice! I'm still waiting to hear back. I was told yesterday that they will probably be changing the regs but didn't say if it would get better or worse.

#25 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 02 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

I just got off the phone with Rick Nash (manager) and Shawn Carl (his right hand man). It is illegal to sell antlers and antler carving/crafts. It is not illegal for someone to hire a taxidermist to do the carving for them. It is not the answer I wanted to hear but it was very refreshing to hear an answer. So, going forward, I will do carvings and crafts for people on sheds that they own. If we want the reg to change, we need to petition the Minister.

#26 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:17 PM

Its erfectly legal to buy sell trade antlers from farmed deer/elk.There are a number of farms in NB that always have antler for sale both drops and cut off.The Antler law in NB is very much outdated.Sheds have no impact on wildlife infact they come from live animals.Id lobby for this old foolish law to be changed same as mounts,they are an investment and are property they should be allowed to be sold.These laws were made when every one was considered a bandit and in todays enviroment actually are not needed.The selling of animal parts is a broad statement and open to many opinions,fact is animals and parts are sold all the time ex,Beaver Castor,pelts,its legal to sell animals to the someone for mounting,ex otter,bobcat as long as the seller has a license to trap and turns in the carcass.I think the topic of mounted trophies and there being clear items of property it would be a difficult court case.Best the DNRE catch up to the times.

#27 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

You can buy ivory from farmed elk as well,button casts for carving whole antlers,heads with antlers for mounting,capes,meat etc and can be resold legally.Buy your antler from a farm and you have no restrictions.

#28 stroover

stroover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:48 PM

These laws were made when every one was considered a bandit and in todays enviroment actually are not needed.

Actually, everyone in NB is still considered a bandit, which is why we have all the laws we have as compared to our other Canadian provinces.

When it's over I want to hit the ground like a spend shell.

#29 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

The funny part is NB has twice as many foolish laws as most places but the penatlies are a joke.Recently an outfitter was convicted of guideing for 4yrs with no license collected couple hundred thousand dollars paid no tax put nearly 100 non residents in the woods without a guide and once caught he goes and gets a license then when convicted all he got was a $50 fine no loss of priviledges or licenses-because when he did the offence he had no licenses to revoke!!Now if a licensed guide commits an offense even minor his ass is grass!!What a joke.Speeding ticket makes some of DNRs penatlties look like coffee money.Probably cost the tax payer $10,000 to prosicute the guy.NB is way behind the times.Outfitter in Saskatchewan pulled the same stunt cots him $20,000 and jail.NB $50?Actually he saved $150 not buying a guides license-he was rewarded.

#30 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:18 AM

If its illegal in NB to sell antler products why is it that Knives made from antlers are beeing sold in stores,coats with antler buttons,Crafty stores sell antler products?seems the law is very selective.Any knife made from antler by definition would be illegal to sell!Yet one can sell a hide?cant sell a head? but tan or salt the hide and you can sell it>Make very little sense.All these little foolish outdated laws are seldom used but all aid in giveing enforcement broader ability to search for other things useing the minor stuff as probable cause.

#31 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

Heres a real good one of NBs foolish laws its illegal to call moose outside of moose season!Ok then how is it that moose calling and seeing tours are aloud?Also recently an enforcement officer aware of moose being shot with the aid of non natives useing a native to claim the moose and i mean several moose says they wont do anything about it even though they know the non native is calling and actively hunting moose with the native because they would have to charge every person in moose season that is present on the hunt that does not have a license for aiding in the pursuit of big game!Yet there are NBers being charged with calling moose before and after season!Its also illegal to feed wildlife but legal to bait!Figure that one out.

#32 TSINB

TSINB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:43 AM

Not sure if this one will stick or not but were being told that a Guide i breaking the law if he or she applies a non residents tag to an animal for them,its illegal for a guide to touch an animal until the nonresident tags it and that the nonresident must transport their own animal that its illegal for a guide to transport an animal for the nonresident.Also that its illegal for a deer,bear,moose to be in the vehical of a guide unless the hunter is with the animal at all times.So if the non res hunter goes to bed the animal can not be left overnight in anyones vehical.Guide and hunter were given written warnings on this in 2014 and from what im hearing they are after guides heavy in 2015.

#33 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

Back to topic at hand. Big media release today by DNR. 146 moose racks and shed antlers seized in St Quentin before the taxidermist who bought them crossed the border. Stopped at a local diner with antlers sticking out from an open end trailer...I am sure the provision in the Act was called upon in the proceedings.

#34 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

Wow. 146 would be some pile of antler dust when I got done carving them up... The thing here is we are the ones that would need to lobby for a change. If what I was doing was harming animals, I wouldn't do it. I don't need a law for me to do what's right. I'd just like to be able to make a bit of fun money to spend in NB by doing what I enjoy and by giving people something that they could keep and maybe be proud of other than a pile of sheds. For now, I'm just carving what I have for my own enjoyment and offering to carve peoples sheds for them.

#35 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

I hear ya 4570 and I totally agree for your instance. But what about the guys who sell on Ebay full racks of doubtful provenance for a big profit? I think in the case of sheds there should be a provision in the act that declassify them as still being part of an animal...my two cents

#36 stroover

stroover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

It because of guys like the one with the 146 racks that you won't see the law change anytime soon.

When it's over I want to hit the ground like a spend shell.

#37 shedhunternb

shedhunternb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHarewood Rte 112

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

So is my shed antler collection illegal.Some years ago when Iknew all the rangers at the station they would call me the antler man.Now I don,t know for sure.What do you guys thinkabout shed collections?

#38 mu'in

mu'in

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationSi-nan'-sis

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

I remember something about sheds being ok.. (if the have the base on the antler)

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#39 Bull's eye

Bull's eye

Former Mod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1169 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

FYI, that trailer was full of sheds the guy had picked up himself...  I think there was one full intact rack with the skull plate and it looked like a die-off or pick-up, the rest were all sheds.

#40 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

I'm busy making Christmas gifts right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users