What happened to the big Turkey announcement? - Other Harvestable Wildlife - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

What happened to the big Turkey announcement?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 abuckisabuck

abuckisabuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Anybody know what's happening on the Turkey front? I had heard that a decision would be announced some time in January. I've also heard that the arse draggin's gone on so long now that its already too late to start any bird releasing this year. That's too bad, you can never get that time back.

#2 Bill Gass

Bill Gass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationOromocto, NB

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Yes we would all like to know the results and have a decision reached as a result of the EIA to reintroduce WT's into NB, however the wheels of government turn slowly. I have to take solace in the fact that at least they are giving it careful consideration. When we approached a previous government they came back and said no right away, wouldn't even hear tell of it. If you only knew the history of how far we have came since 2009 perhaps things would be easier to understand. I take the long term approach and am in it for the long haul. But there is something that you can do for us, type a nice email to your MLA speaking about how much your looking forward to having WT's in NB, it wouldn't hurt to throw in there something about how much you spend on hunting and how much more you'd be encouraged to spend if we had WT's in NB. I am sure that the amount of money that leaves NB or drives through NB to Maine from other provinces (NS,PEI) would be in the range of six figures. It is my firm belief that if the examination of our EIA is taken in light of our provinces current economic woes and they see that the ecological impact is very low and the odds that we can have a season that can generate hundreds of thousands of dollars for provincial coffers then the answer will be yes. The other thing that I will ask is that you make the effort to attend our banquet on 20 April 2013 in Saint John. We always a few invited guests/politions and it is important that they see a good crowd, very excited about WT's and will to put out some money towards them. many folks have asked me the question "when are we getting wild turkeys" and I always turn them around and say "see that guy over there in the suit", "well that's the Minister of XXX" or " your local MLA" how about going over and introducing yourself and ask them the same question. My final pitch so please humor me is that our chapter committee is always looking for new members, in this digital age attending meetings isn't as critical as it was in years past we are always welcoming to anyone who wants to help out in any way. Whether it be selling a few tickets, assisting with set up of the Banquet, getting a prize donated to the Banquet, everyone has a skillset that could be used towards reintroduction of wild turkeys to NB. Feel free to give me a call if you wanted to discuss anything further and as soon as we know anything we'll let you know.

Cheers
Bill Gass
VP SJRV Chapter
NWTF
Home: 506-357-6931

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users