Any one have some crow hunting tips? - Other Harvestable Wildlife - New Brunswick Hunting

Photo

Any one have some crow hunting tips?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JaycobbHooper

JaycobbHooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCharlotte County

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

Hey, i was wondering if anyone has any tips for crow hunting, i went out yesterday and hunted them for the first time with a shotgun and call and got 2. just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers :rolleyes:

#2 JaycobbHooper

JaycobbHooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

I will be using them as bait, and as an off season hunt ^_^

#3 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

Find their flight path, don't shoot their roost, wear camo /have a blind better then you would for waterfowl, Hide, hide hide..... And don't listen to our friend from PETA.. artemis , they do have a critical role in killing waterfowl. Great wing shooting!

#4 TheCoachZed

TheCoachZed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Find their flight path, don't shoot their roost, wear camo /have a blind better then you would for waterfowl, Hide, hide hide..... ... they do have a critical role in killing waterfowl. Great wing shooting!

+1.

#5 alarsene

alarsene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationMarysville

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

I shoot a line or two year to eat.
I don't eat ravens of course but do eat crow once in a while.
Don't you?

#6 JaycobbHooper

JaycobbHooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I thinks that's why i only got 2, i wasn't hidden very well. any calling techniques you guys have? or should i just get out there and practice?

#7 4570govt

4570govt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationPennfield

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Calls and decoys.

#8 Wildchef

Wildchef

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

Have to hide well, they have crazy good vision, and communicate to each other... so you want them to be calling reinforcements and not warning the others to stay away... and either kill the "scout" stone dead or don't let him see you...cause he'll warn the rest

#9 JaycobbHooper

JaycobbHooper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Thanks guys, i might build a brush blind for hunting them, see if that improves my chances..

#10 Unconventional Hunter

Unconventional Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationBathurst

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

I've gone out a few times and don't seem to have much trouble getting them. I just look for a patch of spruce trees with a hole in the middle and stand there with my call. They don't see me until they fly over the "hole" and then I let 'em have it. A blind would probably work better but I'm not that motivated :lol: Go get 'em, they're great practice! Like skeet shooting with feathers! Oh and #4 or bigger shot works best in my experience, they've got pretty thick feathers.
Are these bullets bent?

#11 Resourceful Redneck

Resourceful Redneck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • LocationRiverview New Brunswick

Posted 07 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

I will call them, and put out a half dozen foam crow decoys surrounding a foam rabbit decoy. Another tip that may sound stupid but I mix up about a liter or so of red food colouring diluted in water till it looks blood red and then splash it around the snow where the rabbit decoy is set up and their eyes seem to key in on this and draw them in. Once I shoot one or two, I will prop them up with sticks as realistic as I can. As far as ammo, Black Cloud #2 baby! Yes, it's expensive, but I usually have a couple boxes left over after duck season. I have a ton of fun and taught my boy a lot about shooting this way. Camo, Camo, Camo, cant stress that enough. I wont even wear a camo hat that has a logo on it! We just duck into the tree line and shoot em as they come over the tree line usually. Also, coyotes love them and if I can put a crow in a yotes belly instead of a partridge, rabbit or deer, I will do it everytime. Get out and have a blast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users