#22 mortimer

mortimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHarcourt n.b.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 08:34 PM

Good read AN. Weren't the eighties great, Big bucks everywhere in the big woods. :) I sure miss it. :(

#23 Hunter94

Hunter94

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationRiverview, NB

Posted 10 November 2010 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for all your amazing stories. I am really excited to see your system because it is the same one my buddy and I stumbled on together a few years ago. Once we started using it we started seeing a lot more deer. (we were still not good enough to turn it into success though) One thing I found that might be important to add is that you should not start this method until you are in an area that has good deer sign. I have spent a good deal of time sneaking through unproductive woods until I figured that one out. :rolleyes:

Would you agree?

#24 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

Thanks as always AN. While I don't agree with your 8 point maintenance plan, I sure do love these stories.

Live your obsessions on the web with us!  Hunting, Fishing, and much much more.

http://www.wildernessobsession.com

About 250,000 Deer in New Brunswick in 1985.  Less than 60,000 today.  Can we demand change yet?
New Brunswick - Can't see the Forest for the *spruce* Trees

Over 20,000 people have read our interview with Rod Cumberland about the state and the future of the New Brunswick Deer Herd.  Have you?
If a Tree Falls - Rod Cumberland

#25 caperaway

caperaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for the stories ArcheryNut.I started on page 1 and couldn't stop reading till I got to the end.It was a great way to spend the evening.Nice to see the vintage pics as well,it brings back memories of hunts years ago before everybody was covered in camo and driving ATV's.Reminds me of when I started hunting years ago.

#26 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:35 AM

Another great story AN. Don't worry about bragging, I don't think anyone that's taken the time to read all of your stories would say anything other than how fascinating and entertaining they are to read!
Funny that there's no glasses in your pictures with the deer, I suppose your new prescription glasses were a little camera shy? :)

Would you mind taking a few minutes (seconds?) to explain the Moose shooting test? What was involved in that? I guess I'm too young to remember ever having to take a shooting test for any license, all that was required when I got started was the Hunter Safety course.

About 250,000 Deer in New Brunswick in 1985.  Less than 60,000 today.  Can we demand change yet?

Over 20,000 people have read our interview with Rod Cumberland about the state and the future of the New Brunswick Deer Herd.  Have you?

#27 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:14 AM

They look like perfectly normal 80's glasses to me! I think my first pair looked the same, they were probably even the same size, and I was 7 when I got my first glasses I believe :)

#28 linnie

linnie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

archerynutNB,
Man I really wish you were 100 years old :lol:
That way I would know I had many many more of your stories to read.
Keep them coming.
Thanks again for sharing your memories with us.

#29 nbbucks

nbbucks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • LocationKeswick Ridge

Posted 20 November 2010 - 08:30 AM

Another awesome story! Love those feild photos.
"Some people say, well I got meat for my freezer. Well I say how about a big rack for the wall." Legendary Vermont deer hunter.......Larry Benoit

#30 700 Lefty

700 Lefty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:07 PM

As always Archery Nut, excellent stories and thank you for sharing. For those who would actually think you are bragging, well, that's their problem! Keep them coming!

As for your wife coming along on the hunts and so actively participating, I think that is fantastic! My wife doesn't like me in deer season, let along go hunting!

#31 700 Lefty

700 Lefty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

Good evening Archerynut,

Quite a few times I drove past the general area of the Grand John and could envision you and your wife stalking the ridges. Since the time you hunted in that area vs today, I wonder how much the general make up of your hunting ground has changed.

Looking forward to more awesome stories!

Tim

#32 700 Lefty

700 Lefty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 01 December 2010 - 10:52 PM

No worries, Archerynut! Thank you for the wonderful story and the maps. I hunted all through that country this year, plus other areas and my God, there is no woods left!

It makes one very sad to see the changes to such an area and I can very well imagine what you feel, looking at the area now vs back in the day.

Your series of stories are very interesting and I would seriously talk to a local publisher and see if something can be put together. What a fantastic Christmas present for the sportsman!

I would also like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Tim

#33 Wardo

Wardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1084 posts
  • LocationWillow Grove

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for another awesome adventure AN! Your memory never ceases to amaze me. I don't think I could write a story that detailed about THIS deer season, let alone one 20 years ago! Can't wait to hear the next one.

#34 4x4todd

4x4todd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hope all is well with you and yours AN, been checking in for more stories every day and got to thinking, maybe something came up because there hasn't been anything since the 2nd. Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and hopefully some more stories to come, Love to read them as I live in PEI so no deer hunting here, so I'm living vicariously through your excellant stories. Thanks again, Todd

#35 700 Lefty

700 Lefty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • LocationFredericton

Posted 03 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Great story, Archery Nut! The story was like a late Christmas present! Keep the stories rolling for 2011!

Lefty

#36 mortimer

mortimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHarcourt n.b.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

Great story AN! I've said it once and I will say it again, I sure miss those BIG WOODS DAYS!!! <_<

#37 Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationKill Zone

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ok, hard to believe i'd be just finding this stuff, i read your first story quite a while back unc and nave missed out on seeing these last 6 pages till just now...WHAT???I got almost through page three and will keep reading them till i catch up.Now most i've heard from you yourself its still so much fun reading and remebering them.Its pretty neat how you tell alot of the ones with dad in them just the way he told me or my uncles have told me too.What an album we could make of pictures from the deer we know that came out of your most famous area eh!!!
And for anyone whos reading and want to learn more about deer hunting i'll tell you to open your eyes and ears to these stories, this guy has done something some legends havn't and his words are all truth.I started out hunting trying to figure out the mature whitails code and this fella has helped me in ways i cant believe nor thank him enough .I remember realizing after a while of discussion with AN and listening to these stories a few years back that this guys the real deal and the first year i tried the method he talks of in his story of stillhunting, i seen one of the largest bucks i've ever seen and will never forget the deer i named "The Beech Tree Buck" and i'm sure you know why he has the name, i have seen a mature buck almost every year since as well..Its amazing to skim through these stories and see these trophies that this guy has taken in the ways he has taken them.He is a dying breed and i'm proud to say i'm one of our families remaining bushwackers, i really wish i could go back in time with dad and my uncles to walk these majestic forests and see the amazing things they did.Its sad this type of hunter is dying and am very fortunate to have a great friend nbbucks that is as crazy about this method as i am.Thanks again to AN for sharing these and his knowledge that has been a great part of my sucess.I have taken over half of my mature bucks in the same areas in the areil photos that AN has shown you and i am now feeling extremely angered that we seem to have no say in the destuction of these areas and up to just a year ago i was a part of it.When my last employer had to start for Irving two years ago because there was no other contractors left to work for the first blocks i had to fall where areas in and all around the areas in AN's stories...It makes me sick...

#38 mortimer

mortimer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationHarcourt n.b.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Yea I was thinking the same thing as I wrote the post AN. Now I have to drive for 21/2 hours and hunt farmland near civilization. It's just not the same experience. :(

#39 Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationKill Zone

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

I'm sure we'll get out there one of these days, going to check out some new hunting areas in hopes of finding a area as good as the Ridge once was..

#40 Country Girl

Country Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • LocationHillsborough

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Always enjoy reading these hunting stories/memories.
You have an amazing ability to add your thoughts to paper (or computer! lol)

Can't wait to hear the next adventure!!! :)
"When he was young, I told Dale Jr. that hunting and racing are a lot alike. Holding that steering wheel and holding that rifle both mean you better be responsible."
Dale Earnhardt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users