• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 CAINSDAD

CAINSDAD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I would like to know if you are allowed to run to guns or does on have to be in a case at all times.Have had a few instances when dogs ran in to close to pick up in scope and shot gun would have done the job,Then if i set up for shotgun they wont come in closer than 100yrds have asked a local warden an he shrugged his shoulders and said to read the regulations booklet.

#2 mu'in

mu'in

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2759 posts
  • LocationSi-nan'-sis

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I think its ok...(But make sure its within regs .. IE shot size is legal for time of year)

far as I know only moose = one gun..(per license holder)

"If they run, they'll just die tired"

- Browning BLR PG, .300wsm
- Savage Model 111, .270win
- Savage Model 11, .243
- My trusty 1958 Winchester model 12, 12ga
- Limbsaver dz30, Easton FMJ and a muzzy

#3 Albertabound

Albertabound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

As far as I know it is ok except for waterfowl?Pretty sure it's illegal for moose as well.
Good answer Mr.Public Servant,hopefully if you're running two guns,he's the one that catches you,duhhhh.
I don't think you'll find the answer in the hunting regs,that's only a summery,might have to dig deeper into the F&W Act?
I know it's definately OK in AB,again,except for waterfowl,but NB is not AB.I know guys here that routinely have 3 guns open on the truck seat,one for yotes,one for deer,and a shotgun for grouse.

All that said,makes a good argument for a combo gun possibly being the ultimate coyote gun for NB,ie;Baikal o/u 12ga/.223

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

#4 embree

embree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Locationquispamsis

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

i asked the last game warden i had seen and he said that you could carry 2 guns in nb just as long as your not waterfowl hunting

#5 Im4uDU

Im4uDU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

It's called a Savage Model 24, in various calibers and gauges.  Mine is 222 over 20ga 3".  A little heavy & a scope makes it even more so.  This time of yr. BB is the biggest shot permitted, but 20ga BB at close range is nasty stuff.

#6 Albertabound

Albertabound

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

Ummmm....no,it's called a Baikal IZH-94,12ga over .223,mfrd in Russia by Baikal,the largest hunting and sporting arms mfr in the world.
Savage 24s are notoriously infamous for having different POI of the 2 barrels,requiring expensive gunsmithing to correct,or as most do,sight in the rifle barrel,compensate aim for the shotgun,and live with it.
Baikals are adjustable with set screws to properly align the barrels for same POI.
There also is/has been a ton of other European mfrs of quality combo guns/drillings,often times in obscure,little known cartridge chamberings on this side of the pond that I would buy without question over a Savage 24,although some do get lucky with the 24s and find one that aint cockeyed.

The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

#7 pond jumper

pond jumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDouglas Harbour

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

Baikal 12/223 is def the next gun on my "to buy list"...ive wanted one for quite some time, would also be a good gun to carry during deer season, having that rifle shot just incase mr buck decided to walk out on the trail while you were bird hunting, or to have the bird shot on the walk home 

Blood, sweat and FEATHERS!!

Winchester 1300 12ga

Ithica SKB semi auto 12 ga

Remington  870 wingmaster 12ga

T/C dimension 22-250rem

Savage Axis .308win

Marlin 336  30-30win

Savage 93  17hmr

Rem 597 22lr

Marlin 795 .22lr

#8 brunswicker

brunswicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

I have a savage over/under .22/20 ga. Works great had it for twenty years, no problems except for the odd spring that comes loose

#9 brunswicker

brunswicker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 04:38 PM

I have a savage over/under .22/20 ga. Works great had it for twenty years, no problems except for the odd spring that comes loose

#10 abuckisabuck

abuckisabuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Love Baikal.  A bit rustic but so am I, and their as tough as nails.  Never been bit by the combo bug but I wouldn't mind snagging one for a camp gun.... talk about a jack of all trades.  and yes, they're legal.  You can hunt with you're whole collection as long as each piece is legal for the season in question.

#11 Im4uDU

Im4uDU

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

My 222/20ga works great, as it came used. Shoots where you aim it and cost a lot less than foreign made.

#12 Redroughneck

Redroughneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSecond North River

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

You can hunt up to a size " F " steel shot, which is .22" diameter ball and extremely hard to find, BB is only .18".  from the guide, page 6.  " the holder of a Varmint license or a Small Game license shall only hunt with:

A rim-fire rifle or center-fire rifle  of less than .23 caliber.

OR a muzzle-loading firearm

OR a shotgun with lead shot no larger than size BB or steel shot no larger than size F

OR a bow or crossbow"

#13 Jim

Jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Brunswick

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:13 PM

You can hunt up to a size " F " steel shot, which is .22" diameter ball and extremely hard to find, BB is only .18". from the guide, page 6. " the holder of a Varmint license or a Small Game license shall only hunt with:
A rim-fire rifle or center-fire rifle of less than .23 caliber.
OR a muzzle-loading firearm
OR a shotgun with lead shot no larger than size BB or steel shot no larger than size F
OR a bow or crossbow"

Like you said F shot is hard to find. Combined with the fact steel just doesn't kill as well as lead and you have the reason why many of us choose lead BB for killing varmints. Buckshot works even better.
Personally I believe these restrictions are obscene and archaic. Buckshot should be legal for coyotes as should any centerfire rifle.

#14 Operator

Operator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 02:27 PM

Confimed this a couple weeks ago with the DNR Enforcement Officer who was presenting for my course.

With the exception of Waterfowl and Moose, it is perfectly legal to carry two firearms so long as the weapons and ammo are legal for what you are hunting. It is suggested that the slung weapon be unloaded for safty's sake. 

During rabbit/grouse season, I regularly carry my 20g and sling my .22 bolt action (mag on, bolt closed, nothing in the chamber) while out walking. Sometimes a rabbit will cross too far out of range for the 20g......

Common question from the students.

Why buy at the store what you can harvest from Mother Nature?

You think you have enough guns.....until the zombies come.

#15 Redroughneck

Redroughneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

Like you said F shot is hard to find. Combined with the fact steel just doesn't kill as well as lead and you have the reason why many of us choose lead BB for killing varmints. Buckshot works even better.
Personally I believe these restrictions are obscene and archaic. Buckshot should be legal for coyotes as should any centerfire rifle.

yeah I hammered a coyote last year with buckshot during deer season, dropped instantly. very effective. I totally agree, buckshot should be legal all year. I started using my 10/22 this past season for the up close shots, it's easier to carry in my older age :)

#16 Redroughneck

Redroughneck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

Cabelas now sells Steel T shot made by Federal. this is a 0.20" steel ball load. This is a great up close round, i hit a coyote this past season at about 40 yds through some trees. This is my new favorite shot for my 12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users