New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my hunting story for 2010.
First week of hunting season October 25th, I spend the whole week hunting at my camp. My wife comes with me as she is a good cook and does the dishes. lol. We were out every day seen a few tracks but did not see any deer. On Saturday before we left to go home my wife said what's wrong with the truck? it was leaning on the passenger side. I got on my knees and looked and saw the spring was broke. We drove home very slowly and made it ok. Then on Monday second week of hunting I went to get the spring fixed.$$$$$. Tuesday morning went back to camp. Three days we went to our hunting place and again a few tracks but no deer. They seemed to be travelling at night. Went home on Thursday night as the weather was calling for a lot of rain. On the second week I had put some buck lure in the area. But then all the rain we had for almost a week I thought the scent might have disappeared but I guess not. Third week of hunting we went back to camp on Thursday morning got everything ready had lunch and around 1pm we drove up to our hunting spot. Well surprise there is already two hunters in our spot. Not much we could do but leave the area. So we drove around on old logging roads until about 4 and then decided to go back towards the camp. A little discouraged as we liked the spot we had it's been our favorite place for 10-20 years. A lot of thinking we did that night and we decided to act like the three little pigs. We got up at 4am, left the camp around 6am and drove to our hunting spot. No one in sight. Not even a deer. We sat in the truck and waited for daylight. When it started to be daylight I got out of the truck and was going to load my gun and Helloooo no shells.... I had left my shells and knife at the camp. When I told my wife she said are you serious? I was. Got in the truck and left for the camp which is about 30 minutes drive as the roads are potholes and waterholes one after the other. All of a sudden it hit me I had some extra shells in a box somewhere in the truck so I stopped the truck and started looking and found the box with 10 shells in. Back to the hunting ground. Then it was daylight, I loaded my gun and got my deer call out and called a few times and we just sat there and waited. It was a beautiful morning very calm also was a heavy frost. At 9:30 we had a lunch and just kept looking for signs of movement but nothing. Around 10:30 I told my wife around 11 o'clock we'll go for a walk we always do when it's nice days. Sitting in the truck and looking all of a sudden i looked in the mirror and there's a deer standing about a 100 yds behing the truck. My wife looked in the mirror with her binoculars and said it's a buck. It was just standing there looking at the truck I got out and got my gun from behind the truck and then I got a real bad cramp behind the right leg. I thought oh no I have to take an aim and try my luck. I manage to aim and fire and the first shot the deer went down, but it got up again and I could see it was wounded so I drag myself closer and had to fire another shot to finish it of. But I did get my deer a seven point buck with a 30-30. My father bought me the gun 50 years ago and I would not part with it. Long story short when I was winching the deer on to the truck someone was coming and when they got to us it was the same two hunters of the previous day. They told me I was some lucky as they had overslept and it was past 11am when they got to us. And on the same day our oldest son shot a nine point buck. He also had a bad leg cramp and a fit of sneezing on his stand. My wife had the sneeze too but she held back not to make noise. When we got home I called one of my friends and when he answered the phone I asked him how are you? He said I'm cranky and there is someone else here cranky too.lol He and is wife both hunt and did not get any deer yet. Good luck to all hunters for the next few remaining days. Will put pictures on later this week.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Right on!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Congrats! At least the bad luck of the first week turned around for you. Any chance we could see some pictures?

·
Registered
495 Posts
You never know how a deer may react to a cough or sneeze.

One year during bow season, like ever other deer season, I had developed a cough, my throat was starting to itch signaling an impending coughing session. I hear dead branches cracking about the same time and a minute later, a 6 point (7 but one brow tine was broke) stuck his head into my shooting lane. 10 seconds later, he pulls back and heads away.
I could hold back no longer, I quickly pull up the collar of my fleece jacket and try to muffle the cough, haha, didn't do much but to my surprise, the buck turned around and came back this time fully entering the shooting lane. Too bad for him but that was the end of the fun for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts