New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am planning to hunt coyotes this winter and I was just wondering if a BB steel shot meant for ducks and geese would do the job? and if it would be effective how far is it good for?

·
Registered
358 Posts
It would work OK inside of close range...I would guess 40 yards +/- would be really stretching it?There are alot better shotgun load choices available for coyotes.Get the heaviest legal load you can use here in NB,lead BB or steel F,and pattern your shotgun with with interchangeable chokes if it's so equipped to determine your effective range.HeviShot's Dead Coyote has a dedicated fan following and supposedly can really stretch your shotgun's range used in conjunction with the proper choke??Its a tungsten based non-toxic shot,size "T"(.20cal),so it's legal here....and pricey $$!! Lead BB in 3" or 3.5" would be less expensive if you can find it on any shelf in NB...probly have to order it in or roll yer own?
Can you get Dead Coyote in Canada? I've never seen it, but if it was available, I might buy a few shells.

·
Registered
271 Posts
also it might be quite the challenge to get a yote to come in that close, don't know about you but I'd get pretty discouraged if I saw a yote at 100 yards wide open and I only had a 12 gauge haha. Which would be an easy shot for a .223.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've seen it on bucking odds a few times. I'm not sure what load and tube they're running. If you where hunting during big game I would go with 00 buck and a modified choke , rifled slug or sabot slug if you have a rifled barrel. I.M.H.O , you might have better luck with a 22 LR.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts