New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently started working up some reloads in my nef single shot chambered in 30-30 winchester, so far have not had many impressive groupings other than 168gr sierra matchkings that shot very well ( several 5 shot groupings at 100 yards of 1.5" ) and I was thinking of using these on deer. I have heard that these bullets do not hold up that well on game at high 30-06 and 300 mag velocitys since they are designed for targets rather than game, but at relatively slow 30-30 velocitys I am thinking they may hold together better and be a decent deer and all around load. ( I dont have a croney but the loads ive worked up should be leaving around 2100-2150fps ) I have had 170gr hornady flatpoints that group 3" at 100 yards but if the matchkings are fine for deer I would rather use them because of the better accuracy and trajectory due to the much higher bc.

Does anyone have experiance with sierra matchking bullets on deer or other game?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Already found a bunch of info on these and I dont think I will try them on deer, maybe on varmints during bear and deer season when its legal to carry a 30-30.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I think it states somewhere that your can't hunt with match grade bullets.
Buy Sierra gameking bullets to hunt game with. I shoot 165 gr Gameking from my 30-06 and they are accurate and work very well on deer

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
+1 on the Gamekings, Good bullet,
I load them for my buds 270.. shoot great

1 - 4 of 4 Posts