New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you thoughts on using a 17HMR on coyotes? A buddy of mine out west swears by it and claims he is taking shots up to 250 yards with no problems? I have never used one? Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
There are lots of reports of people who harvest Coyotes for the fur having great luck with them. Personally I'd rather have a bit of a bigger bullet, and more powder behind the shot to get out there and be less affected by the wind.

Keep in mind that a 17 HMR bullet is the same caliber as most Pellet Guns on the market, only about 4 times the weight. You can take the bullet from a 17 HMR and drop it right through the barrel of a .177 Pellet Gun. I'd much rather have a 45-60 Grain bullet of a 223 or 22-250 than a 15-20 Grainer from the 17. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm with wardo , but it all comes down to preference. Use the rifle and calibre (if law permits) that you feel most comfortable with. I hunt yotes with a 22-250. The 17 hmr is a handy little rifle , I don't think you will be dissapointed with it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm with wardo , but it all comes down to preference. Use the rifle and calibre (if law permits) that you feel most comfortable with. I hunt yotes with a 22-250. The 17 hmr is a handy little rifle , I don't think you will be dissapointed with it.
I have a 17 hmr and I love it for yotes shot a few with it last year down them no problem.

·
Registered
456 Posts
As far as being accurate out to 250 yrds they are ive killed crows a long ways away with a 17hmr. Ive also decapitated rabbits and mangled squirrels however i don't think id take a shot at a yote that far out, not much energy that far out with such a light bullet but in a bit closer theve got a suprising amount of punch for such a small round, and no exit hole, bullets pretty much compltly disintegrates, except the heavier 20gr solids. Nothing more fun than shooting random grocery store items with one at 100-150 yrds in the snow...full cans of tomato soup and cream soda pop are the best..sprays orange/pink every wheres...and blowing golf ball size holes in crows is pretty fun to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts