New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I went out this morning and arrived about 1/2 hour into daylight. Walked 100 yards from the truck and saw a nice big cow moose. Walked across a cutting to watch the edge of the woods and sat on the slope of the ridge. A coyote and a bear came out in front of the trailcam last night. Got some photos.

Left around 10:00 am and saw a nice bull moose in a cutting about 400 yards away. No problem seeing his boards. Called like a cow and then like a bull bugging a cow and had him turn and come in. I got behind some trees and waited until he got close enough for a photo and a video clip.

Also saw a porcupine and a small bear.

Moose video

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice, he's a dandy bull. All I seen this morning was a marten and a grouse.

·
Registered
289 Posts
That's about as close to Catch And Release Moose Hunting as you can get. Bet you weren't sleepy in the stand after that!
Thanks great pic and video

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jeez, that almost looks like the fella that got mad at me last evening in New Ireland. All I wanted to do was get his picture. Just starting to get dark...apparently he didn't like the flash going off in his eyes. Can't say I blame him. I should've known better. I just wanted to get a pic of that rack! I almost got the rack alright. He charged the truck.

Thank god the skinny pedal works in the truck. lol

I felt bad for making the ol boy angry...I thought about going back & trying to make up with him, but thought I had better just leave things alone!

·
Registered
115 Posts
This is my first year hunting deer and what a great start it has been. The first day I went to a spot I had scouted a few weeks ago that looked real nice, but upon showing up I seen 2 trucks already there so I decided to go to the woods a little closer to my house. I walked along a very small creek bed for 20 or so mins which eventually came to a small clearing with a patch of birch trees on the other side. I scanned the clearing for any sign, found a few deer and moose tracks and what I think is a deer scrape on a tree(not sure though). I noticed that there was a huge field on the other side of the birch trees so decided to go take a peek, as I was making my way through the trees I noticed some movement(my heart started pounding). I stayed still trying to figure out what it was all of the sudden they took off crashing through the birches and into the swamp(which at first I thought was a field). It was a bull and cow moose. After watching them walk away I went back into the clearing and sat on the edge next to a big tree. Within 5 mins I heard what I think was a buck grunting still not sure though never heard a buck in real life before. He would do 3 grunts then stop for 15 secs then do 3 more grunts he did this like 6-7 times. I know it wasn't the moose because it was coming from the opposite direction. After sitting beside that tree for an hour or so I decided this would be a good spot to hang my tree stand so I went back to the truck to get tree stand and apples. Sat in it all day never seen anything except a hawk and porcupine. On day 2 I went to the stand bright and early sat in it from 8-12 seen nothing, heard nothing got soaked to the bone though. Do bucks rub on trees close to the bottom like 2 feet up from the base? or would that be more like a porcupine or beaver messing with me

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is my first year hunting deer and what a great start it has been. The first day I went to a spot I had scouted a few weeks ago that looked real nice, but upon showing up I seen 2 trucks already there so I decided to go to the woods a little closer to my house. I walked along a very small creek bed for 20 or so mins which eventually came to a small clearing with a patch of birch trees on the other side. I scanned the clearing for any sign, found a few deer and moose tracks and what I think is a deer scrape on a tree(not sure though). I noticed that there was a huge field on the other side of the birch trees so decided to go take a peek, as I was making my way through the trees I noticed some movement(my heart started pounding). I stayed still trying to figure out what it was all of the sudden they took off crashing through the birches and into the swamp(which at first I thought was a field). It was a bull and cow moose. After watching them walk away I went back into the clearing and sat on the edge next to a big tree. Within 5 mins I heard what I think was a buck grunting still not sure though never heard a buck in real life before. He would do 3 grunts then stop for 15 secs then do 3 more grunts he did this like 6-7 times. I know it wasn't the moose because it was coming from the opposite direction. After sitting beside that tree for an hour or so I decided this would be a good spot to hang my tree stand so I went back to the truck to get tree stand and apples. Sat in it all day never seen anything except a hawk and porcupine. On day 2 I went to the stand bright and early sat in it from 8-12 seen nothing, heard nothing got soaked to the bone though. Do bucks rub on trees close to the bottom like 2 feet up from the base? or would that be more like a porcupine or beaver messing with me
Yup that's probably a buck rub! Good Luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
This year while deer hunting on the army grounds (Blue Mountain area) I spotted a huge cow. Being only seventeen and easily excited (and because I've never been so close to a wild moose before) I started stuttering, trying to tell my dad what I saw. At first I said something like "Bear, bull.... Moose!". My dad couldn't understand me, so I had to point it out. It was so calm that it let me walk closer to it and it didn't even walk away. We got some cool picture and we spotted her running around the army grounds for the next hour or so. She even walked by a place that had been marked for moose hunting. It was a good day, but I still haven't been able to find my first deer!!! Hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts