New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had heard any new news or recent rumores about it??? What about a course ???

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll be attending the annual Bowhunting Instructors meeting in Fredericton on April 9th and a couple of hours of the agenda are set aside for crossbows and maybe word on them being legal to hunt with this fall.I'll post what I find out then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll be attending the annual Bowhunting Instructors meeting in Fredericton on April 9th and a couple of hours of the agenda are set aside for crossbows and maybe word on them being legal to hunt with this fall.I'll post what I find out then.
I just took the NBBEA bow course a few Sundays ago and a new book was used which included a section on crossbows. We were also allowed to use them on the shooting portion of the testing. The instructors said that crossbows will be allowed for small game as well as rifle season for deer. However they will not be allowed during the bow only portion of deer season.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hey 4 ever.....did you fall asleep at the wheel? What gives?

Kinda enjoying the recent peace, quiet and tranquility here as of late. Interesting to see the skuttlebutt on the NS crossbow site though..... I guess we weren't too far from the truth after all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Axeman... I was just caught in a long thought with spring bear season here and baitsite preparation.I attended the annual Bowhunter Instructors meeting in Fredericton and it was announced by DNR at this meeting that crossbows will be legal to hunt with as of Sept.1st,2011.The only season they cannot be used in to hunt with is the 3 week archery only deer season in October.There is a new manual being used now also.Anyone who has taken the Bowhunter Education course prior to the introduction of the new manual will automatically be grandfathered in to hunt with a crossbow.Crossbow instuction will fall to the Bowhunter Education instructors.Hope this clears a few things up and sorry for my delay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey 4 ever.....did you fall asleep at the wheel? What gives?

Kinda enjoying the recent peace, quiet and tranquility here as of late. Interesting to see the skuttlebutt on the NS crossbow site though..... I guess we weren't too far from the truth after all.
Closer than you realize...Took me a little longer, had a slow period, I guess...As of today, my resignation from the nsach was tendered and I have ZERO affiliation with that group...Got played by a player, I guess,

Sorry guys...

·
Registered
76 Posts
So you guys are saying that for someone that does not currently have the bowhunter education course you will need it to hunt with crossbows???

·
Registered
495 Posts
So you guys are saying that for someone that does not currently have the bowhunter education course you will need it to hunt with crossbows???
Looks that way.

This is a good thing, since there is a lot of tree stand safety. Information that could save your life should you fall. It does not take long hanging there in your fall arrest if you don't know what to do to be seriously injured or killed.

Also shot placement. It is more critical with a broad-head than a bullet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts