New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
In the words of Merle Haggard - "Rolling down hill like a snowball heading for hell"

Are the good time really over for good?

Not looking good for our deer friends this winter. Will the snow ever stop and a nice crust coming to boot. Not a hope in hell for them so far this year.

They're going to deplete their fat reserves by end of February.

It's pretty bad when our deer herd is manage based on hoping for mild winters. Go figure! What else are the biologists to do when there are very few mature stands of woods left.

"I miss the way it was back before micorwave ovens back when a girl could still cook and still would". "Are the good time really over for good?"

·
Registered
153 Posts
I hope the rules don't change in Saskatchewan because i might consider going for 2 weeks instead of one...its gonna be a sad NB deer season this year.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Talked to Gary Donald yesterday from BIG Buck. Not good winter in Saskatchewan either. He said he went out the other day on his ski doo and came across some deer. He could only see their ears. Deep Snow!

Said that eastern Saskatchewan will lose 80% of their deer herd this winter. He mentioned something about a 3 day deer season for that section for next year. But then again he also said the DNR out there couldn't manage the wildlife either. The rest of the province will suffer also. According to him the deer herd is not in great shape there. Wow! What would be considered good? I could only imagine. When I told him we only shot over 5000 this past year he didn't really say much except for "Wow! Is that right?"

You will probably see changes next year in Saskatchewan.

·
Banned
348 Posts
The snow depth in Freddy isn't too bad right now. Although once you go 30 km outside the City it gets deeper. I drove to Perth-Andover earlier this week and there was a low snow depth.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Come on people , it's only January , think of ALL the apples that we HUNTERS were feeding them before the hunting season ,during the hunting season , before the rut when they should have been filling themselves up on beneficial foods to fattened up for the winter season , nobody seemed too worried back then , pictures on this site with apple piles with deer standing over them . Probably didn't shhiit any pellets for months . Apple sauce that's what was coming out of them "apple sauce" That's makes for a lot of fat reserve ! yup that it does. Now were worried about their welfare and their winter starvation , But lets look at the bright side of things ,surely they won't end up with a runny nose with all that vitamin C . Come August we will start the cycle again lugging apples , hoping it doesn't snow next winter.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Come on people , it's only January , think of ALL the apples that we HUNTERS were feeding them before the hunting season ,during the hunting season , before the rut when they should have been filling themselves up on beneficial foods to fattened up for the winter season , nobody seemed too worried back then , pictures on this site with apple piles with deer standing over them . Probably didn't shhiit any pellets for months . Apple sauce that's what was coming out of them "apple sauce" That's makes for a lot of fat reserve ! yup that it does. Now were worried about their welfare and their winter starvation , But lets look at the bright side of things ,surely they won't end up with a runny nose with all that vitamin C . Come August we will start the cycle again lugging apples , hoping it doesn't snow next winter.
I cannot speak for all NB but the deer yards I check weekly are thriving some have up to 500 deer togther some a couple of hundred(Feddy Beach area) glad I am here and not were you all are !!!!!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Critter,
not sure where you get your info??? But deer don't get the shits from eating apples. I'll tell you for sure they have no trouble cleaning up apple trees. Apples are full of sugar and carbs which becomes body fat. Much better then Old Man beard moss they tend to gorge on this time of year.

It's not the fact we have a lot of snow right now but rather the duration of winter that will be their demise. If this continues they will burn much more energy getting around and eating food. Fat depletion will take place much faster and with 2 - 3 months of winter left the outlook is not good.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Curious where apples rank on the deer's preferred food list? It was my understanding that even though deer love apples, they are more like candy or a treat. They don't make up the bulk of a deers diet when available do they? I didn't think apples provided enough nutrition to satisfy their needs or to be considered a staple of their diet?

·
Registered
360 Posts
another foot coming Friday! I was out snowshoeing back on Irving...not a track anywheres! They got hammered back there this year! Nothing but coyotes and they too must be carry a back pack of food over then empty croppings! Good thing is another 6 weeks we are into march and Warming up and hopefully the snow stops!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Great winter for deer this year in zone 10. Maybe 6 inches of snow max until got a few more inches yesterday.

I see groups of deer in fields and deer tracks in many places - good numbers of does and lambs.

I blistered the coyotes - in a two mile radius I killed 17 so far. Coyote family groups are now down to one or two survivors, so deer killing not easy for them even if some deeper snow comes. Rabbits are very thick here now and easy pickens for coyotes, so I think things are looking good for this area, so far anyway.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great winter for deer this year in zone 10. Maybe 6 inches of snow max until got a few more inches yesterday.

I see groups of deer in fields and deer tracks in many places - good numbers of does and lambs.

I blistered the coyotes - in a two mile radius I killed 17 so far. Coyote family groups are now down to one or two survivors, so deer killing not easy for them even if some deeper snow comes. Rabbits are very thick here now and easy pickens for coyotes, so I think things are looking good for this area, so far anyway.
keep killing the bastards

·
Banned
223 Posts
Bucknut, how much snow have you got in your neck of the woods? Most areas I have been to and even up north (Grand Falls/ Plaster Rock)you can't even snowmobile for fear of rocks in many places! The depth just isn't there. I also can't remember a time when we have had such a mild January. I have been out hiking and crosscountry skiing (can't even snowshoe yet!) and I constantly have to dress down because of the mild temps. Ask the ice fishermen, they will tell you that we don't have the ice depth that we have had many other years.

I think it is an exceptionally mild winter with a late onset of snow considering we also had a green Christmas across most of the province!! Most yards that I have checked the deer only started to truly yard in the last week or so.

I think it will be a great winter so far for NB. We will wait and see what the winter severity index for the province says at the end of the year. So far so good which means good deer hunting next year.

·
Registered
242 Posts
love that pic few deer here in the blackville area not much snow in the thick woods open ground is worse try cutting a couple of cedar trees week then hall them out in spring

·
Registered
404 Posts
I heard from a lot of people not much snow in most of the province? Up here in Bathurst Zone 5/8 especialy 7 lots of snow . They have been snowmobiling in zone 7 since late december . More snow here now than all of last year . Snow up to your knee's in town , over your waist up river in zone 7 at the camp . Every snowmobiler is coming up here , only place to go . I hear the snowmobile lodge up in moose valley is even closed , no snow there.I was in the woods with my dad on monday cutting wood he spent a whole day last week blowing snow to be able to get in there and have a place to haul out to . 100hp 4x4 tractor snow right to top of blower . I guess all the deer are gone to bull's eye's back yard cause he blows all the snow away for them to eat what he is feeding them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don;t come to moncton if you want to stay out of snow. We have been hammered this year. At least 2 feet in the woods where I hunt. And much more in places in Albert county like Prosser Brook, Parkingdale etc... Another foot forecasted and will make somewhere around 3 -4 feet so far this year. Not good!

More snow now then all of Jan and Feb last year. Crazy!

I'll be heading out with the trailer next year to hunt out of town or just save my vacation time and head out west. It's all those frigging Noreasters nailing us.

·
Registered
242 Posts
its not dnr its the big lumber companeys if dnr say no you cant cut this block then they say big layoff i see this happen up in doaktown dnr tried to stop irving from cutting a deer yard it was cut

·
Registered
531 Posts
Don;t come to moncton if you want to stay out of snow. We have been hammered this year. At least 2 feet in the woods where I hunt. And much more in places in Albert county like Prosser Brook, Parkingdale etc... Another foot forecasted and will make somewhere around 3 -4 feet so far this year. Not good!
We certainly have been hammered with snow in the Moncton area this year!
Another 15-40 cm on the way for tomorrow (depending on what forecast you listen to)

Thank God all that rain we got in Nov/Dec didn't come as snow too!

BTW BuckNut...great Haggard tune!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts