New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I got an inside scoop about the proposed changes to address hunter dispersion / concentration in WMZ for the upcoming 2011 season.

The proposed amendments would only include the First Canadian Non Resident (ie: out of Province hunters from anywhere else in Canada) the requirement to specify on their application which zone they will be hunting from. This additional information gathering process will probably give the Sask Ministry of Environment hunter dispersion accross the Province and allow them to make more informed decision on allowing / disallowing non-res hunters in certain areas.

A news communique should be coming out in early 2011 to debrief this. Don't take this to the bank as it was heard thru the gov grapevines....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well I guess I got an inside scoop about the proposed changes to address hunter dispersion / concentration in WMZ for the upcoming 2011 season.

The proposed amendments would only include the First Canadian Non Resident (ie: out of Province hunters from anywhere else in Canada) the requirement to specify on their application which zone they will be hunting from. This additional information gathering process will probably give the Sask Ministry of Environment hunter dispersion accross the Province and allow them to make more informed decision on allowing / disallowing non-res hunters in certain areas.

A news communique should be coming out in early 2011 to debrief this. Don't take this to the bank as it was heard thru the gov grapevines....
Yea heard that this was coming couple years ago. This could frig some guys up. Those that go to the same area year after year.Also those that go as a group . Some in group may end up hunting in another WMZ. However it is what it is. We are quests there after all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yea heard that this was coming couple years ago. This could frig some guys up. Those that go to the same area year after year.Also those that go as a group . Some in group may end up hunting in another WMZ. However it is what it is. We are quests there after all.
Guys would zones 55-56 be wmz you guys could see being affected by the potential draw system?

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess you'll have to designate one WMZ on your licence and stick to that zone. Not really a problem, unless you are hunting a borderline (as we do), in which case we have to draw the line in the sand and stick to one territory (ie: left side of the grid road).....no biggie...

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was released this week by Sask Environment and finally resolves the year long awaited publication on this.

It's been 2 years in the making. In laymen's terms, if you intend to hunt in Saskatchewan, I would encourage you to do so this year (100% draw success rate).

Once they compile a distribution of hunters per WMZ based on the application pool, some restrictions will / could be implemented to balance out non-res hunting pressure.

If this draw system steers anyhow towards other big game draw for this Province (ie: Mulie, Moose), you could elect not to be drawned for years 1 and 2 and be superpooled (automatic selection) in year 3. I'm just contemplating....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts