New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spring bear season opens on April 21 (3 weeks away). Anyone hunting, making plans? Got snowshoes ready? :blink: Secondly, is the weather going to affect the bears? Will they be late coming out? Thoughts and opinions?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ya we are gearing up.Pretty excited its my sons first year hunting bears and were we hunt he's got a good chance.I hope the one I passed on last year presents himself he should be a good trophy for my young fella this year, but I am sure it wont matter which one comes out, hes gonna be excited...lol.Now the wife on the other hand has said no more bears in the house or she's leaving, so I got her an apartment.....lol......but my son wants to get a rug with his if he's lucky.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Bear hunting... IMO .. wait until MID MAY..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snowshoes are ready, likely the sapo will being running by then. LOL, this is going to be my first muzzleloader bear hunt.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
looking forward to the spring hunt.. had some good bears coming the last week of the spring season last year.. fingers crossed that 1 of the 2 big dudes show up again. gonna make hot italian sausage out of it.

I gotta move my stand tho, they got a path that goes right by the base of the ladder.. i'm sure their shoulders and hips are rubbing on the ladder! lol to add they are coming in from directly behind me, so gotta move it off to the side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm thinking about booking a non resident 3 day hunt for may 29th 30th and 31st. What is your opinion on these dates? Should I wait until June if there are any openings for that month? The area the guide hunts is in zone 18.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm thinking about booking a non resident 3 day hunt for may 29th 30th and 31st. What is your opinion on these dates? Should I wait until June if there are any openings for that month? The area the guide hunts is in zone 18.
I always found the best was around fathers day but those dates will work if there is activity of course at the site.What area are you planning on hunting?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can't remember the name of the spot where the camp is but it's not far from the Salisbury big stop. Pretty sure it's area 18.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wife and I got our bear licenses on March 20 at Lyons Country Store in Moncton. I would assume that SNB has them if a store is selling them but hard to say sometimes with things like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bought mine approximately three weeks ago at snb sussex. They had bear licenses but no fishing licenses which starts a week earlier. Go figure. With the amount of snow out there it seems like it will be a month before I can get to my bait sites.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Popcorn seems to be a big hit, not too expensive to buy and light to carry into the baitsite. Youtube popcorn bear baiting and you should get some videos about it. We are going with popcorn to start the season but pretty much anything for bait will work. Last year we would put out anything we had left over from home and it all would be eaten, except for celery, they wouldnt eat the celery for some reason.

We used a trail camera to record times of the bears coming in last fall. We found they were more active in the afternoon, 3pm to nightfall was most active time for us.

We used a double person treestand. But any treestand or groundblind should work, we just felt safer in a tree. It was our first year hunting bears and it's is a little intimidating to be out there with the bears, and know they are around you but unsure of where they are. We had a couple of them bust us on the stand, they started "popping" their jaw, so we knew they were close but we couldn't see them, then we had to get out of the stand and back to the truck, lol.

A big thing I believe is scent. Those big noses are not just for looks. We never connected with a bear last year and I believe it was due to our scent. This year we are taking our scent control more seriously. If you invest all this time/money and effort into doing a bear hunt, whats a little more for some good scent control.

Anymore questions just ask and I'm sure someone will reply.

Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Out today to the woodlot to see about setting up a bait or two.

roads are mostly a no go, most have 2 feet of snow and drifts and shaded areas still have as much as 4 feet.

another week will make a big difference

·
Registered
925 Posts
Time to shoot the bow. Going be a nice day!

·
Registered
283 Posts
1 KG bag of popcorn kernals is $2.00 at Walmart. 25 KG bag of Oats is around $13 at my local feed store. Bear season is a great time to dig down and clean out your freezer.

Bill G

·
Registered
196 Posts
Getting my bait ready and heading out tomorrow to set up my bait and camera.Got a little hike seeing I can't drive down the road, but got that problem solved.My son is gonna be hunting this year so I think its his turn to carry some bait...lol.Hope its going to be a good year, I cant wait to sit in the stand.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm going to wait another week ,still snow in the wood. going up for a ride tomorrow to check things out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was back to the stand today with some bait, looked like he had already been snooping around.There was tracks around the barrel so he should be back.Got the camera set up and heading back next weekend.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts