New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to try my first spring bear hunt and first ever attempt at baiting. Does anyone have any wisdom or advice they quips be willing to share...aside from keeping my bait site clean and tidy.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Anyhting food related you can get for free will work, If you gotta buy stuff like most of us do now, look for oats or corn dog food, popcorn sweets.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you've got a resteraunt around you that dumps fryr grease in barrels out back, stop in sometime and ask if you can help yourself to their used fryer grease. They pay to have it taken away, so most of them don't mind you stopping in and grabbing a few buckets full now and then. Be advised however, used fryer grease can be a real mess! Bring rubber gloves and a few rags, lol. As heavy and cumbersome as it is to lug into the woods, bears love it! Always haul your buckets back out of the woods for re-use; leaving old buckets in the woods is how bear hunters get a bad name... Not only do the bears love it, but they get it on their paws and track it away from your bait site, and this turns into multiple scent trails heading to your bait site.

Cheap dog food is a good bait if you can find inexpensive big bags, but like others said, there are lots of options.

Make yourself a "stink bucket". This is seperate from your bait and will be hung in a tree where the bears can't get at it. A couple of weeks before the season, take a 5 gal bucket (with a lid!) an put in a small animal carcass or some old meat with a dozen eggs (cracked), pour in a litre of milk and add any other tidbits you want that will rot and smell bad. Add a bit of water, but don't have the liquid too much more than half in the bucket. Put a plastic bag over the top and snap the lid on TIGHT. Place your bucket out in the sun for a couple weeks and for God's sake, don't open it! When you set up your bait sight, hang the stink bucket from a tree high enough so a standing/climbing/hungry bear can't get at it. Once the bucket is securley hung, tale a .22 and shoot a couple of holes in the bucket; a couple ABOVE the liquid level, and one or two just below the liquid level. Don't go overboard; you want the liquid to stay in there, so don't blast the bucket all to hell. By allowing some of the liquid to spill out, you will be spreading the putrid aroma; the wind will take care of the rest. Try to keep your stink bucket far enough away from your stand that you are not sitting beside it during your hunt; fighting the urge to puke.

Anyway, these are some basics that will bring bears to your stand. There are far more experienced bear hunters on here, so hopefully they'll give you a bit more info.

Good luck!

·
Registered
196 Posts
What would be a good bait?
Find someone who is trapping in your area and see if you can get a beaver carcass, they work great.Take the carcass, wrap it in some heavy chicken wire, something a bear won't rip or tear easily, and wrap it so they cant get ahold of the beaver, then get a ratchet strap and ratchet strap it to tree really tight above your bait barrel.I also buy anise seed from the dollar store, blend it together with vegetable oil put it in a plastic bottle and hang them around my stand.Cut small holes in the bottles so the aroma can escape but keeps the water out.Make a small hole in the cover put a string through and they are ready to hang, and its cheaper then the commercial products and work as well.you can make lots cause they usually rip them down and take off with them...lol....or they are recycling...lol.....good luck.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Newborn fawn......
Sorry for the derail but fawn distress calls have brought in some eager bears when chasing coyotes in the spring. Probably not as effective as baiting but an exciting and viable option for bear hunters to keep in mind.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've had success mixing fryer grease with oats and popcorn. You can get the big feed bags of oats for around $12 and I was getting 1kg of unpopped popcorn for around $3 or less at walmart then i just dug through our old boxes of stuff in the basement and found our old hot air popper from the 80's and I run that in my shed popping the popcorn right into a 5 gallon bucket. Popcorn is light and easy to carry. The other thing that i did was take the opportunity to clean out my fridge and freezer of anything that was past date and should have been thown out any way. Then I asked some family members about anything they had that was freezer burnt and got a load of stuff from them. Really anything that you can get your hands on that people like to eat, bears like to eat. I know that old donughts are great if you can get them. The other trick is to put your bait in a 5 gallon bucket that is chained to a tree and I cut notches in the lid rim so the lid would come off a bit easier and then put a few holes in the bucket. This way the little critters can't get at your bait as easily. Oh it's great fun my first year I had to drive off this one bear on several occaisions by throwing rocks at it so it would move away from the empty bait bucket.

Cheers

Bill

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow sounds like if you just keep it cheap and simple you should be ok! As for the bait I like three idea of popping pop corn and drinking suds to kill an afternoon!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Fish makes a great stink bait,my personal fave is lobster shells.....so that said,treat yourself to big lobster feed and you are in biz,best deals are on the wharf,esp if you have a lobsterman buddy.
Alternatively,a seafood restaurant might be a cheap(free) source.Could also ask lobster buyers for morts?Pretty much any fish hung in burlap sacks will draw bears to your site,and fortunately,lotsa cheap sources in Spring,herring/mackerel lobster bait,gaspereau and shad netting is in season etc....ya don't need much for one bait site,ie;1/2 dozen shad or equivalent gaspereau/8-10 juicy drippy lobster bodies etc.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I'm not so sure on the fish. I've found it very hit and miss. Last spring we put out a feedbag half full of salmon parts (heads, tails, bellies, etc) hung between two trees to soak up the sun and poked holes in the bags so they would drip nicely. Did this at two spots. They never touched them. We had lots of bears coming like usual, and found it very strange for them to not go up and pull that down.
Do the same thing with a stink bucket of grease or a bucket of peanut butter and the first bear through will climb for sure.
A couple of years before I got a lot of smoked fish that hadn't been done right (over smoked, over salted, who knows) and they ate that pretty good, but didn't go crazy over it either.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Fish makes a great stink bait,my personal fave is lobster shells.....so that said,treat yourself to big lobster feed and you are in biz,best deals are on the wharf,esp if you have a lobsterman buddy.
Alternatively,a seafood restaurant might be a cheap(free) source.Could also ask lobster buyers for morts?Pretty much any fish hung in burlap sacks will draw bears to your site,and fortunately,lotsa cheap sources in Spring,herring/mackerel lobster bait,gaspereau and shad netting is in season etc....ya don't need much for one bait site,ie;1/2 dozen shad or equivalent gaspereau/8-10 juicy drippy lobster bodies etc.
ya I've had my best success getting bears to the bait site using fish, once the maggots start on it and gets real stinky gets the bears in from all around

·
Registered
283 Posts
seems to me that someone on here last year said that bears aren't really that much different than us in that different individual bears have different tastes, some people like fish and some don't, if you get my drift. My bottom line is if I can get it for free I'll put it out, I used fish once last year as well as lobster shells the bears loved both. But hey hard to say back in the day when my Father used to guide bear hunters for a lodge the owner didn't use any fish as he said that they didn't eat fish in the east, he used rejected doughnuts, pastries that he got directly from a factory.

Bill G.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I have heard that at one time Tim Hortons used to give out their day olds by the bag full but have since stopped. I like the idea of a honey burn and have a few buddies that fish gaspreau. Between that and some popcorn and molasses I think i'm set. Now to to scout a few spots and hang some trial cams when the weather is right. It sure woulda be nice to tag a big spring Bruin. I hear if your going to get a rug done it is the time of the year to do it as they haven't been rubbing on anything yet.

·
Registered
629 Posts
whole carcasses of any kind will work well to draw early one's in. Could be a trapper's as was mentioned earlier or it could be a coyote from your winter's hunt or, my peronal lazy favorite, a roadkill. I find that once the maggots get too far into it, it just smells like piss and doesn't attract anything so add new stuff regular even if there is still some left. So don't drive mindlessly past dead ***** and don't through away your varmints.

Make sure you always leave something in your pile that they can't clean out. That's where your corn dogfood, oats and any other loose stuff comes in. That's your dinner staple that keeps em coming when you're away and can't check on it for a while. A bait site is artificial, don't give them any reason to move on... they may find something irresistable elswhere and your site could go cold quick. Been there, done that.

Bait with what you have, use lots of it and make sure it smells really good or really bad. Nothing is foolproof even if some ex-guide tells you it is. If all you have is bread, use bread... just make sure its in a good spot i.e. where a bear might feed like grassy chopdowns, meadows, around beaver ponds, hard woods etc... They like what deer like unfortunately. They tend to travel in the shady areas in between these places in the kind of brushy throny crap where you would expect a rabbit to live; at least it is that way where I hunt for them.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Regarding the fish,I meant that I use fish,lobster shells etc as a stink bait/lure only.I don't expect them to eat it and they usually don't,but it's purpose is to attract bears from a distance.Once they find the site,they eat the goodies and ignore the stink bait,but the stink has served it's purpose.
IMHO,a good fishy stink bait is essential in establishing a new bait site,or at the very least,it will fast track a new site into becoming active almost immediately,as opposed to a "sweets only" site that generally takes them longer to find initially.In other words,draw them with the stink/keep'em coming for the goodies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts