New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everyone getting plans in place for the coming season?

I've got bait and stands ready, just have to brave the wet and cold to get out there and dump the bait.

With the lack of snow do you think bears will be up and around earlier?

nothing for grasses yet of course but still they might be up?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
bears are moving now. We had one hibernating all winter just up back of the house. We checked yesterday again and he is on the move.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Im all set, getting two site going tomorrow. Got a new spot this year,found some tracks last year trapping and I found a good spot between a beaver dam and a corn field. Have a friend of mine hunting my other blind until the end of May, its his first time hunting bears and hoping he gets one. Putting my son up in the new spot for his first bear to hopefully.Unfortunately we can't put a camera up where my friend is going lost 2 there already but I know theres bears there.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Not allowed to bait in most of the areas that I hunt because of grizzlies,so just gonna pick up a tag and do some glassing/S&S once things start to green up.Still lotsa snow in the high country,but ground has been bare for awhile in the flatlands and foothills.
I "might" still be going guiding up north for a few weeks late May.....but started new job today,so not sure if I'll be able to get the time off for guiding this year? :(
Gotta feel out the new boss this week and see?
Maybe won't like the job and just quit?
Either way,if I don't punch my tag this spring no biggie,I'll have it for fall?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im all set, getting two site going tomorrow. Got a new spot this year,found some tracks last year trapping and I found a good spot between a beaver dam and a corn field. Have a friend of mine hunting my other blind until the end of May, its his first time hunting bears and hoping he gets one. Putting my son up in the new spot for his first bear to hopefully.Unfortunately we can't put a camera up where my friend is going lost 2 there already but I know theres bears there.
If your using plastic blue barrels in your new spot its me on your game camera this evening. Looks like we will be close neighbors been baiting in there for awhile. ????

·
Registered
196 Posts
If your using plastic blue barrels in your new spot its me on your game camera this evening. Looks like we will be close neighbors been baiting in there for awhile.
Hey there trapper no I just put a camera out today.. so no pics...didnt know anyone was ion this spot.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no hits on bait yet.

its been out for 6 days...needs more stink, I think

putting out 2 more this week

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
first bait was hit between yesterday morning and this afternoon

heading back for an evening hunt

2nd bait put out today

·
Registered
84 Posts
And so it begins!! I went out to check my baitsite today only to find someone had taken my pails and cut my rope up.They then proceeded to set a baitsite about 100 feet from where I had mine.I have a brother who travels past there regularly and knows where my site is so I can get him to get me a make,model and licence plate number of the vehicle.Hope nobody else has this bs going on .Happy and safe hunting to all!!!

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
If you are sure its them, go out about noon and take a crap in their stand ..

(note: drink a case of guiness night before for added effect.. :) )

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have 9 hitting 1 bait,including a sow with a couple 1/2 grown cubs.

Only 2 bears are what I consider big enough,200+,one has huge rubs on both his sides the other might be taken if it shows tonight.

walked in yesterday @ 10, with a rifle and 2 pails of bait and the sow with cubs were there, I walked within 25-30 yds before she "woofed" and all 3 took off.

·
Registered
867 Posts
And so it begins!! I went out to check my baitsite today only to find someone had taken my pails and cut my rope up.They then proceeded to set a baitsite about 100 feet from where I had mine.I have a brother who travels past there regularly and knows where my site is so I can get him to get me a make,model and licence plate number of the vehicle.Hope nobody else has this bs going on .Happy and safe hunting to all!!!
It's hard to comprehend how competitive the bear baiting business is/can be until you've done it for awhile,and how sleazy and unsportsmanlike others are.
I've had baits bombed by other outfitter,setting up <200m from us on 2 sites in the same season,baits sabotaged with Javex,permanent tree stand in a 18" trunk spruce tree cut down by chainsaw when another hunter discovered that we were there first and <400m from his site.
It's unreal how big of a douche some "hunters" are......esp given the fact that we were already set up and baiting for weeks ahead of these douchebags when the trouble started.All of this chit happened at 4 of our 12 sites during the same spring season,fn rediculous!!
I'd say other provinces such as NS and AB to name a cpl have got it right with registered bait sites to help avoid conflicts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree Albertabound!! This is year number 40 as a licenced professional guide(also my last) and yes I feel I have seen it all.Putting in time scouting out locations and setting them up only to have some loser sabotage it because from my experience they could not find a bear in a zoo let alone the woods!!! This will also be my last year hunting black bears in N.B. and I hope to get out west some day for a color phase bear. I have been mulling over writing a paperback book based on my life as a licenced guide and hunter.My current bear total is 36 bears,4 with a rifle and 32 with a bow.Best of luck to all who are hunting bears and have a safe season!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's hard to comprehend how competitive the bear baiting business is/can be until you've done it for awhile,and how sleazy and unsportsmanlike others are.
I've had baits bombed by other outfitter,setting up <200m from us on 2 sites in the same season,baits sabotaged with Javex,permanent tree stand in a 18" trunk spruce tree cut down by chainsaw when another hunter discovered that we were there first and <400m from his site.
It's unreal how big of a ****** some "hunters" are......esp given the fact that we were already set up and baiting for weeks ahead of these douchebags when the trouble started.All of this chit happened at 4 of our 12 sites during the same spring season,fn rediculous!!
I'd say other provinces such as NS and AB to name a cpl have got it right with registered bait sites to help avoid conflicts?
At the very least, hunters putting up a bait should be required to post a sign with: name and contact information.

then, when a mess is left behind there may be a chance to get it cleaned up

registering with DNR would be a good idea too

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today is the last day....anyone plan on going for 1 last sit at the stand?

I didn't shoot one but saw lots at my main bait site.

Also took in guests to watch since my stand has room for 2

2 sons

my wife

my father

my buddy

my nephew

my sister

lots of fun and gets the kids interested and outside

1 - 19 of 19 Posts