New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what people find is the best over the counter brand/grain/combination in there gun as far as acuracy and effectiveness . I have been having good results using federal premium 60gr nosler in my tika T3 on bigger things like a couple bears and coyotes but I find it a little heavy and not as acurate for the crows and at longer distances .

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I was just wondering what people find is the best over the counter brand/grain/combination in there gun as far as acuracy and effectiveness . I have been having good results using federal premium 60gr nosler in my tika T3 on bigger things like a couple bears and coyotes but I find it a little heavy and not as acurate for the crows and at longer distances .
Makes sense cause the T3 has a 1 in 14 twist.
I use the 55gr v-max and 55gr BST's, but the regular ol 55gr SuperX PP's are pretty darn accurate too!!
The Ol'Yotes dont seem to mind which one goes through there rib cage!!

G

·
You might do real good with a 45 or 50 grain cap & core (not bonded) bullet like Win Super X PP or Rem Core-Lokt Express, if you can find those weight bullets. Federal loads a cheaper soft point bullet in 55 grain (blue box) which your gun might like. My brother has done well with them.
I've had excellent accuracy with Remington 55g Accutip-V (1 in 12 twist), but you've got to pay for it.
V-Max is always good, and available in a wide range of weights. Federal loads them in their Premium line.

60 grain bullets might be to long of a bullet to stabilize properly from that barrel. Unfortunately, you might have a hard time finding anything lighter that is non-fragmenting.

If you don't mind me asking... Are you hunting seriously for bear with a 22-250, or just getting rid of a problem?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
A good friend of mine has had great accuracy with 64gr Super-X Power Points out of his Browning A-bolt 22-250(1 in 14 twist)
Ya I know its hard to believe coming from a 1in14, but its the truth.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might do real good with a 45 or 50 grain cap & core (not bonded) bullet like Win Super X PP or Rem Core-Lokt Express, if you can find those weight bullets. Federal loads a cheaper soft point bullet in 55 grain (blue box) which your gun might like. My brother has done well with them.
I've had excellent accuracy with Remington 55g Accutip-V (1 in 12 twist), but you've got to pay for it.
V-Max is always good, and available in a wide range of weights. Federal loads them in their Premium line.

60 grain bullets might be to long of a bullet to stabilize properly from that barrel. Unfortunately, you might have a hard time finding anything lighter that is non-fragmenting.

If you don't mind me asking... Are you hunting seriously for bear with a 22-250, or just getting rid of a problem?
I don't go out looking to shoot a bear with a 22-250 , but around our place we definitely have been having alot od bear issues. That being said if I was out for bear I obviously would be taking my 300mag but a lot of times in the spring I will be out checking things out looking for varmits or crows and will hapen upon a bear , that is how I killed my bears the last few years. I know some may be sckeptical , but I garanty you that combination is very efective (clean kill) at close range(around 100yards).As far as there being a bear problem I would say definitely. I know of one subdivision not far from me where there were 3 or 4 killed with shot gun slugs in the back yards last summer , I know of a farmer that shot 4 of them in his grain feild last august . I guess they lost half there crop because of them ( combine could not pick it up).Around here dnr only has one cage and the feeling is that if they are a problem do what you need to do. I realy like my T3 and it is alot beter to take that then try to shoot crows with a 300 mag.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good friend of mine has had great accuracy with 64gr Super-X Power Points out of his Browning A-bolt 22-250(1 in 14 twist)
Ya I know its hard to believe coming from a 1in14, but its the truth.
They must be popular withsome guys cause walmart and cantire sell a lot of it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
for coyotes and crows, you should try some winchester 45 grain JHP Varmint, very accurate for over the counter bullets, groups very well at 300 yards . I put 5 shots in 3 inch circle with my Savage 22-250. If you hit them they don't go anywhere, very easy on pelts, usualy no exit holes but the crows will explode.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I find 36.0gr of IMR 4064 with a 55 SXSP shoot very well in all my 250s; groups 1/2" or better depending on my day. The Hornady 55 SXSP are cheap and perform well. I found that IMR 4064 changed point of impact when the temperature becomes cold; seemed to shoot lower, but grouped fine.
This winter I shoot 36.2gr of Varget with a 55gr Berger Varmit Match. They go 3600 fps with less than 34 fps differences in tests. The Varget powder appears not to be affected by tempatures.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
for coyotes and crows, you should try some winchester 45 grain JHP Varmint, very accurate for over the counter bullets, groups very well at 300 yards . I put 5 shots in 3 inch circle with my Savage 22-250. If you hit them they don't go anywhere, very easy on pelts, usualy no exit holes but the crows will explode.
I've found that 45 JHP to be somewhat accurate, but not as accurate as say the Super-X or higher end stuff.
Every Rifle Is Different Though 4 Shore!!

G

·
Big Bore, I understand completely. I'm not trying to throw crap your way, I was just wondering if you set up for bears, and bring the 22-250, or if it's the gun that you happened to grab when you saw another one of them black pigs in the garbage.

And I don't blame you at all. Nobody has had more bear issues lately than me... We shot a bear out of the woodshed last fall (at noon, 10yds away). Needless to say, the .223 or 22-250 usually comes along when we're putting out deer apples, just in case.

I hunt 28 different orchards for partridge. Last fall, there were only 7 that weren't full of bear s**t. It used to be that we'd see piles in a couple of orchards each year, but now they're everywhere. I'm tired of stepping in it.

I've discovered a perfect way to find a bear... first find an apple tree, and look up. If there's a partridge in the apple tree, look down, because there's probably a bear sitting underneath him. They're everywhere.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I find 36.0gr of IMR 4064 with a 55 SXSP shoot very well in all my 250s; groups 1/2" or better depending on my day. The Hornady 55 SXSP are cheap and perform well. I found that IMR 4064 changed point of impact when the temperature becomes cold; seemed to shoot lower, but grouped fine.
This winter I shoot 36.2gr of Varget with a 55gr Berger Varmit Match. They go 3600 fps with less than 34 fps differences in tests. The Varget powder appears not to be affected by tempatures.
36 grains of 4064 and 55gr spsx is my favorite most accurate loading but as you say I find poi starts to change in the cold weather and the groups grow, Ive been using the same load 36gr varget with the 55gr spsx for winter shooting but it cant group as small as the 4064 loads in the summer. 4064 in the summer and varget in the winter and 55gr spsx is the best I have found yet for the 22-250.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts