New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a beginner coyote hunter and I was wondering what your opinions are of hunting coyotes with semi-auto 22's. I have a Remington Model 597 .22 rifle with hollow-point bullets and I plan on using it to shoot a coyote. I have been told by a few very experienced hunters that it will do the trick if I'm a good enough shooter (which I am), and I shoot it in the vitals, but I want to know the general opinion. Any suggestions for hunting them would help too!

·
Registered
317 Posts
You would be very limited in what ranges you could kill them at with a 22lr they can be surprisingly tough to kill and dont very often stop for an ideal still shot, and with all the work and time spent to get a crack at one you may want to borrow something with a little more horsepower and range to make it count if you do get some chances at them. I am sure many have been killed with 22lr's and it is possible to do so but to make the most of your chances I would go with a 22 centerfire or even a 22mag would give you some more range and knock down power.

If you cannot get or borrow anything bigger there is some hyper velocity ammo you can get, cci stingers and remington vipers and yellow jackets for your 22lr that will give it a bit more whack, they will cycle fine out of most semi autos as long as they arent target models. the stingers are just a bit longer than the regular casings to allow more powder. & if you do get a lock on one with your 597 I wouldent be stingy with the ammo, I would pour it into him like its the 4th of July.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great advice! I'll be hunting from a stand tomorrow, and I'll be taking the 597, but maybe next time I'll take something bigger. I bought the hollow points from the guy who sold me the rifle, it was what he recommended because they are a better quality bullet than most store-bought ones. They are by American Eagle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I was you I would invest in a larger caliber like a 22mag,204ruger,220swift,222rem,223rem or 22-250.The 22mag is the most affordable,a decent one would only set you back 200-300 dollars. But you can pick up a 223rem from kisch enterprises in rothsay for $360 dollars tax included. It's a bakial,comes with open sights and is a single shot. I bought one three years ago and it shot very well for the price.I've taken shots out to 200yrds with the open sights and it holds some fairly tight groups.For under $500 dollars the model 200stevens is another affordable option. I bought one last year with a 3-9tasco that came already mounted rsand boresighted,three shots and it was dialed in perfect.But I wouldn't use a 22lr,I shot a coyote when I first started hunting with one and it took one right between the eyes and several behind the shoulder and still made it 200yrds before it fell. And that was with hollow point bullets.The center fire 22calibers are devastating on coyotes and are fairly in-expensive to shoot and you can carry it pretty much year round.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I shot at a lot of yotes with a .22 and hit em almost every time.

Wasn't till I got my first .223 that I started to kill them.

I have shot over 250 yotes in the last 20 years almost all with .223, a few with a 22-250.

They have to be hit in the vitals and because few shots are standing perfectly still broadside, you got to have the power to punch through ribs and such.

A .22 rim fire will seldom do it.

Get an inexpensive .223 with a barrel twist of 1 in 9 or faster. Then you can shoot heavier bullets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm a beginner coyote hunter and I was wondering what your opinions are of hunting coyotes with semi-auto 22's. I have a Remington Model 597 .22 rifle with hollow-point bullets and I plan on using it to shoot a coyote. I have been told by a few very experienced hunters that it will do the trick if I'm a good enough shooter (which I am), and I shoot it in the vitals, but I want to know the general opinion. Any suggestions for hunting them would help too!
22 will do fine killed lots like that just make sure you can hit a 2 in cirle at 75 yard, with the 22 it always has to be a headshot

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally never had any success with a .22 for coyotes. I shot a couple but couldn't retrieve them. I wouldn't consider hunting them now without a centerfire varmint rifle. I own most varmint calibers and the 22-250 is my favorite.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I used to, as a kid, only have a .22 and since in this backwards place I couldn't hunt deer until I was old enough to hold my liquor, I hunted coyotes haaard. I took my fare share but I will say that over 30 yards you're just making blood trail art and I doubt that stingers would improve your range but do use the stingers for better penetration within the range cuz you can and will lose some under 30 yards. That's not a good feeling even if you know that they might otherwise be chewing up your next year's deer a$$ first.

A good alternative if you have the oportunity, is a 20 or 12 with a long barrel and full choke, or an extra full choke with the biggest lead or heavy shot your allowed. I've seen coyote loads at the shop in McAdam that could be good. Range is similar here but its a major upgrade in knock down power with little investment if you have the shotgun.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I already shot a coyote at 20 meter with full choke, BB Steel shot (the same as I use for canada geese). The coyote fell right at the impact. The pelt was pretty damage..I didn't get a lot of money for it..

·
Registered
108 Posts
imo A 22 will work well if the shot is placed right and if you are inside of 150 ft max but if you have a 12 gauge with 00 buck would be better and you would probably get as good of distance. 22 mag 300 ft, 222 at 200 yrd, 17 hmr 150 yards, 223 at 300yrds, after that 22-250 agian my opinion. I think most would agree.?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Is a .22LR legal to use for yotes? I didn't think it was but if so I've been missing out on alot of hunting
Legal doesn't mean smart....Its legal to teach your wife how to shoot.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
"Its legal to teach your wife how to shoot"
LOL

Now THAT is funny!!

As for .22 - sure it can be done, but not a wise move IMO...
to some they maybe just a coyote, but they still deserve to be cleanly and quickly dispatched..
with minimal chance of suffering..(Just my opinion)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts