New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to hunt those critters this winter. My question is will a 22 MAG be good enough? or do I need to look for a 223 or 22-250.
I don't want to buy another rifle right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
The holder of a varmint licence shall only hunt with one of the following:

A rim-fire or centre-fire rifle of less than .23 calibre.
A muzzle loader.
A shotgun with lead shot no larger than size BB or steel shot no larger than size F.
A bow.

I got a new box of 22 Mag ammo. Free for the taking. I'm in Moncton and work downtown if anyone wants 'em. PM me. (SORRY FOLKS THESE ARE NOW SPOKEN FOR.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I apologize to the group for giving false information. Thanks Lobsterman for the information, I see it on page 5 of the 2010 Hunting /trap book.
The 22 mag will work fine to 150 yds. When I was young and stupid I shot deer at 150 with one just dropped it. like I said young and stupid not to metion illegal. but great for yotes

·
Banned
116 Posts
I've never hunted them personally.....thank you....and by "lots of guys"...do you REALLY mean some guy you kinda know once shot one with a .22lr....or is this some gospel you read somewhere?

And you've shot how many 100+ yard coyotes with a .22mag?

I say Maugerville Boy is correct,you DO NEED a centerfire to anchor yotes consistantly, if not by law,then by ethical neccessity,unless maybe you have the discipline to absolutely limit yourself to close in shots over bait?Yotes are tough and have an incredible will to survive.Yes a .22mag will take them out to 100yards with a well placed shot to the vitals,if you have the discipline to wait for and make that shot,but coyotes rarely stand still for well placed shots,especially if you are calling them as opposed to bait hunting.If you beleive even a coyote deserves a quick and humane death and want to recover your prize,use a .22 centerfire or proper shotgun load inside of appropriate ranges.

If you enjoy tracking wounded game or are only interested in killing coyotes by any means,and an unrecovered coyote that likely dies a slow and painful death doesn't concern you,go ahead and use your rimfires.

I call BS on the whole idea,,and the real "Experts",professional coyote hunters and contest callers out west tht have shot hundreds and in many cases THOUSANDS of coyotes each,where incidentally the dogs are much smaller than ours,all agree.Rimfires are for rodents.Just because I can kill a moose with a .22mag doesn't make it a moose rifle.
Right on Girlscout, When it comes to yotes, I punch the biggest hole as possible that is legal, got three with a 300 win mag, and one with a .223 55 gr. I reload my own shells and have about a five year supply or ammo.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've never hunted them personally.....thank you....and by "lots of guys"...do you REALLY mean some guy you kinda know once shot one with a .22lr....or is this some gospel you read somewhere?

And you've shot how many 100+ yard coyotes with a .22mag?

I say Maugerville Boy is correct,you DO NEED a centerfire to anchor yotes consistantly, if not by law,then by ethical neccessity,unless maybe you have the discipline to absolutely limit yourself to close in shots over bait?Yotes are tough and have an incredible will to survive.Yes a .22mag will take them out to 100yards with a well placed shot to the vitals,if you have the discipline to wait for and make that shot,but coyotes rarely stand still for well placed shots,especially if you are calling them as opposed to bait hunting.If you beleive even a coyote deserves a quick and humane death and want to recover your prize,use a .22 centerfire or proper shotgun load inside of appropriate ranges.

If you enjoy tracking wounded game or are only interested in killing coyotes by any means,and an unrecovered coyote that likely dies a slow and painful death doesn't concern you,go ahead and use your rimfires.

I call BS on the whole idea,,and the real "Experts",professional coyote hunters and contest callers out west tht have shot hundreds and in many cases THOUSANDS of coyotes each,where incidentally the dogs are much smaller than ours,all agree.Rimfires are for rodents.Just because I can kill a moose with a .22mag doesn't make it a moose rifle.
Well, I personally think bow hunting is pretty hit-and-miss (literally). But you don't see me dumping all over your idea of fun? It's legal, so if you can make an ethical shot, do it. I say shoot what you have, within its limits. I have a .223 for coyotes this winter, if I have the time. But if I didn't have that, I would take a .22lr with Velocitor ammo. Read up on the stuff. It's supposed to be pretty good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the input guys.....Looks like I'll be looking for 223.
Lots of good deals to be had right now. Savage has their Stevens 200 and Savage Edge at pretty good prices, H&R has their Superlight Handi-Rifle at a good price, and some local dealers have Baikals and Rossi rifles at good prices too.

If I was buying a new one I'd probably buy the Superlight, because it would be really easy to pack in a canoe or on a bike, and it comes with iron sights as well as a scope mount, according to advertisements.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll agree with the anti-.22 crowd to this point: If #4 buckshot was legal in NB for varmint season, there'd be little use for a .22, unless it was literally the only gun you had. Go watch the Bucking the Odds series on YouTube. They use buckshot very effectively at short range. Appears much more deadly than a .22 would be.

Many of the guys I knew on PEI who hunted them used a shotgun at short range.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like I said... It will be a first this year to try and knock down a few dogs. I have a 22mag, and I don't shoot unless I can hit the boiler room. Most of my shots would be under 100yards so, if it's legal, the 22mag is good enough for me. I found ballistics on the 22mag and 17hmr, and up close (under 100yards) the newer hornady 22mag v max is just what they recommend for coyotes. I know that a 223 would be better, but I need to try my luck at calling and see if I can get them up close first.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
you DO NEED a centerfire to anchor yotes consistantly, if not by law,then by ethical neccessity
Agreed, anything deserves to done as quick and as humanley as possible.

Ill use the bow if i can. (slim chances there though)
but my 300 mag with 150gr sst is damn fine medicine.. if needed

·
Registered
317 Posts
I would recomend a .22 or .17 centerfire for coyotes, I have used a .22 mag and a 17 hmr rimfire but would not really recomend it for targeting them even though a well placed shot seems to kill them fine, most of the shots you will get on coyotes in my experiance anyway is that they dont present the best shots to the hunter, the ones I have shot have all been on the move some running and some at a trot. For that reason I would go with as a minimum caliber for targeting them a 22 hornet or a 17 fireball or greater because if the shot placement is less than perfect you have a little more room for error and the more horsepower you hit them with the more room for error you will have.

I shot 3 coyotes with rimfires, 2 with a 22 mag and one with a 17 hmr. None of those shots were when I was targeting coyotes just shots that presented themselves unexpectedly. One with the 22 mag was at about 20' with a 50gr federal and it hit him in the boiler room and droped him dead as he was troting at a 90 degree angle to me. The other with the 22 mag was at about 60 yards again on a trot and I broke his back with the first shot with a 40 gr federal and had to send a second shot to the head to kill him. the 3rd was with the 17 hmr and a 17gr hornady vmax and was about 80yards on a bit of a run I hit him a little too far back and he ran about 100 yards before he went down, the shot was a complete pass through but very little blood and a smaal exit hole.

I know shot placement is every thing blah, blah, blah, but the point is when the shot is in less than ideal conditions (which it always is) the extra horsepower from a centerfire will have a better chance of downing the dogs on the first shot and give the shooter more confidence. I would not have attempted the shot with the 17 hmr if I was not close to home where there were many cats dissapering at the time and having a cat myself it was an easy decision to attempt the shot even though I felt a bit undergunned especially shooting him on the run,.

For some reason the buggers will never show when Im packing the 22-250.
On second thought you may see more carrying a 22 mag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Again well said; I have been hunting coyote for several days now, not seing any,getting frustrated, just bougth new riffle , I think its bad luck!also new mouth call.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts