New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
So yeah deer season is rolling around soon and i only got my .223 and my 12 gauge. I ordered some .223 64 grain power points for the deer and some slugs/buckshots too. I know lots of people have taken down deers with 12 gauges but what about a .223??? Would the 64 grainers be enough to take down a good size deer if i get him in the lungs??? And also if i get him good in the lungs if you think he will drop or not at about 150 yards???

·
Registered
627 Posts
A .223 will kill a deer. Is it a good round for deer? Not in my opinion. With perfect shot placement, in perfect conditions, brush free, inside 100 yards, it would do the job. Definately not for me or most of the people I hunt with. We aren't perfect.LOL

·
Banned
116 Posts
A .223 will kill a deer. Is it a good round for deer? Not in my opinion. With perfect shot placement, in perfect conditions, brush free, inside 100 yards, it would do the job. Definately not for me or most of the people I hunt with. We aren't perfect.LOL
I agree with Sako, A .223 is too lite a shell for a deer, I have a .223, and love it, Great for yotes.
When I fire at a deer, I want a quick clean kill. I would let a deer get away, rather than shoot one in the shoulders.
My own opinion.

·
Registered
495 Posts
the 223 will kill a deer thats for sure so will a 220 swift 22 250 and so on and so on but you are now alowd to hunt deer with that gun or any other gun under 23 cal and i would have to agree with sako .
I was going to say... I thought .22 was not legal, but the Hunt Book indicates it is. Still, .22 is too light IMHO.

Deer, moose and bear hunters using firearms or bows must use:
A centre-fire rifle of any calibre.
Or: A shotgun with ball, slug or lead shot larger than size BB (including buckshot) or steel shot larger than size F.
Or: A bow having a draw weight of not less than 20 kilograms together with arrows that are fitted with broadheads no less than 20 millimetres in width.
Or: A muzzle-loading firearm.
• Once the deer or bear tag has been removed from the licence, it is unlawful to use:
A rimfire or centre-fire rifle of .23 calibre or greater.
Or: A shotgun with lead shot larger than size BB or steel shot larger than size F.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So yeah deer season is rolling around soon and i only got my .223 and my 12 gauge. I ordered some .223 64 grain power points for the deer and some slugs/buckshots too. I know lots of people have taken down deers with 12 gauges but what about a .223??? Would the 64 grainers be enough to take down a good size deer if i get him in the shoulders??? And also if i get him good in the shoulders if you think he will drop or not at about 150 yards???
As already stated a .223 will indeed kill a deer with a very well placed shot. I agree with the others that it is too light a cartridge to use for deer hunting.

As for your thoughts on the 64 gr ammo, sight your rifle in with it BEFORE you go hunting. Many 223 rifles have a relatively slow rifling and may not properly stabilize the heavier bullets. Shooting at a deer is not the time to find out your rifle won't stabilize the bullet!

You would be better off spending a couple hundred dollars on a used 30-30 or a new/refurb SKS. Used Lee Enfields in 303 British can be had for well under $200.00 and make excellent deer/moose/bear rifles.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you can consistantly hit a baseball at the ranges you stated then have at er. Otherwise I'd probably post an ad in the classified section and get a better deer caliber. I've trailed a few deer shot in the head, usually bottom jaw shot off, which isn't pleasant. I've got a neighbour that goes with the live free or die concept. It's dead if you hit it, a miss if it runs, (but not every time.) While the .223 is a fairly accurate round it depends more on the rifle and even more on the shooter. Considering the question I'd have to believe you are a fairly new hunter. Best advice I can give you is respect the animal you are after and kill it as quickly as possible. The meats better and the animal hasn't suffered unnecessarily. You can't kill an animal too dead by using a larger caliber.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Problem with that is that im still a student so im pushing pennys haha. I got my .223 so im gonna see if she can do it. What about heashots??
If are able to get close enough to make a clean head shot, use your 12 ga and slugs and go for a heart/lung shot. MUCH larger target and the 12 ga slug will do the job a lot better than a .223.

OR spend a $125.00 and buy an old Lee Enfield in 303 British. Cheap and VERY effective to 200+ yards. Check the Free Classifieds. I have several deer rifles listed ranging from just over $125 to $400.00.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If are able to get close enough to make a clean head shot, use your 12 ga and slugs and go for a heart/lung shot. MUCH larger target and the 12 ga slug will do the job a lot better than a .223.

OR spend a $125.00 and buy an old Lee Enfield in 303 British. Cheap and VERY effective to 200+ yards. Check the Free Classifieds. I have several deer rifles listed ranging from just over $125 to $400.00.
Another option would be to ask a family member or friend if you could borrow a gun.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd try to set up a ground blind or tree stand and hunt with your 12 gauge with slugs. Or as others have stated a Lee Enfield can be a pretty deady weapon, I've shot a few deer with mine and all of them flopped dead on the spot.

Bill G.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
seems like we are always debating the minimum caliber that should be used for big game. We all know that almost every caliber will kill a deer in the right situation and with perfect shot placement but that doesn't always happen and most guys can't shoot good enough to ensure a high percentage shot so why take the chance by being under gunned.
You can pick up a good gun for less than $500 new or find a used one. There are lots of 308, 30-30, 270, 3006, 303 guns out there and that is just a few that came to my head right away.

Savage has a new model out that is supposed to replace the stevens 200 and its priced somewhere between $300 - $400 new and comes in a variety of calibers. So as far as I am concerned if you have to ask if a particular caliber is big enough then no its probably not

·
Registered
14 Posts
As others have said a 223 is quite light can it do it in the hands of a perfect shot "Yes" is it recommend for a clean kill "No". The 12 gauge is great a lot of place in Ontario where I live now you can only use shotgun. Shot gun with slug is good for maybe 50 yards using a regular barrel or 75 yards with a slug barrel. You can also use buck shot, but keep your shot under 35 yards (I use buck shot).

Or spend the money $125.00 will buy u a good old 303 Lee Enfield (i have one) or a 6.5.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A 223 is to risky, I'm sure your a great shot but in the heat of the moment good ole buck fever kicks in & you might not be able to pull the shot off. Save your money & hunt with your 12 guage, just change your game plan accordingly, hunt in the woods for a closer shot instead of feilds or clearcuts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[/URL][/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well i bought some 69 grain .223 Match hollow point for deer... tested it today against a full size phonebook and it looks pretty promising to me
... On the left is a normal FMJ 55 grain and on the right is the 69 grain hollow point

·
Registered
85 Posts
arseno.
yes looks like a lot of damage but my 410 with a slug would do the same.... would i go and try and shoot a deer with my 410 nopeee.... from what distance did you fire at this phone book? yes i know dnr is not on the ball with regards to the usage of rifles during coyote season and therefore they are actually influencing people into spending the money of 223 or 22250 as a year round rifle. Im not saying that a 223 is not a powerful enough gun, but there of course are underlying conditions that you must contend with, being within 100 yds of the trophy, being in a field with no thicket or brush to shoot through, and wind conditions in you are hunting in a field. but if you choose to use this gun as a deer gun it is perfectly legal but just remember missing a trophy buck is something you will always remember and haunt you for years to come.... spend some of the money you cant take er with yah when you go

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yum, shredded phone books. The results you got should mirror what would happen on impact on a deer. Minimal penetration and massive meat loss. 2 things I wouldn't want from a bullet.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yum, shredded phone books. The results you got should mirror what would happen on impact on a deer. Minimal penetration and massive meat loss. 2 things I wouldn't want from a bullet.
If im not mistaken the problem with the .223 is that its passes right through the deer without expanding (since there flying at about 3300 fps and normaly FMJ bullets) so the wound is extremly small and doesnt have any dropping power. BUT like you see with the phonebook it doesnt have that problem, im confident it couldve taken 3 phones books.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey man, you won't have a problem dumping a deer with your 223 for sure, you just need to be extra carful on your shot placement. I wouldn't worry to much about meat loss if you hit it in the shoulder, mostly because if you do it will be a 3 legged deer that will run for miles before dying & you most likely won't find it.
Just make a good shot & you'll be fine, but I'd still go with the 12ga in the woods myself. Aim small, miss small, good luck

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After doing research its true that shoulders arent a good shot, but right behind the front leg, lower part of his chest will get the lungs and the top of the heart.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts