New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've got a Winchester 70 in .223 that I'm quite partial to. I think the majority opinion in Canada would favour the .22-250 though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've got a Winchester 70 in .223 that I'm quite partial to. I think the majority opinion in Canada would favour the .22-250 though.
22-250 Hands Down...And I dont care that its more $$$ to shoot then the 223...You said a varmit rifle, not a target rifle, 250 will get ya out there and buck the wind a hell of alot better!!
I'd suggest you take a good, long, hard look at the Tikka T3 Varmit HB(Heavy Barrel)
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Recoil, price of ammo and noise will be noticably more with the 22-250 so that may be a factor if you shoot a lot, but I would go for a 22-250 for sure after seeing how much more explosive a few hundred fps are on little critters you dont plan on eating.

In my experiance the 22-250 remington cartrige kills things a whole lot deader than the 223 rem.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
In my experiance the 22-250 remington cartrige kills things a whole lot deader than the 223 rem.
I like that, a whole lot deader... hehe

If you're looking to harvest fur on anything you kill, like Coyotes, I still stand by the .223, it should make less of a mess of the hide. Many Coyote hunters are going with the .17HMR, but to me it seems like a pellet gun caliber that won't get out there if you've got a bit of wind or yardage. I know some people with .222's that swear by them as well for a varmint gun. Personally I'd like to try out a 220 Swift for a while. Factory-wise I've read that they're a bit hard on the barrel, but I think with hand loading I should be able to lower the effect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
i had a 223 sold it and bought 22 250. i like it alot better than 223.as far as doing alot of damage to pelts try reloads like granades or barnes tnts. i have shot coyotes with these bullets with great succes lots of internal damage but little pelt damage.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you handload, 223 is most likely going to have a faster twist.
I have had both, it really depends what your needs are.
I took a 223 fast twist and had it rechambered to a 22-250ai, now I have a laser beam that will shoot heavy bullets, just a thought, hehe!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd say .223 hands down.It's cheaper to shoot if you don't roll your own,milsurp ammo for plinking,better barrel life etc.

Ballistically speaking,the difference between it and a 22-250 are negligible unless you are regularily shooting gophers at 300 yards+,and how often do most hunters around here do that?Most people would do well to hit a coyote over 300 yards with anything/anyhow,and if you are skilled enough to do it then you likely know your .223 ballistics well enough to do it with it also.
totaly agree!

·
Registered
102 Posts
totaly agree!
I shot over 20 coyotes, some with the 223 and some with the '250. When a coyote was shot in the chest I could never tell any difference as to which killed better.

I am currently using a '250 but I am actually looking at picking up a 223 and having it AI'd. The 223 AI with 1/8 or 1/9 twists are very popular in the US right now. However for the average joe wanting to smack some coyotes here in NB, a 223 with a 1/12 or a 22 250 1/14 twist with some 55 grain Win factory softpoints is pretty tough to beat!

·
Registered
28 Posts
i use a 223 tikka t3, my dad has a 22.250 ruger hawkeye, both are tack drivers though my tikkas better..lol so i say heheh.. either i say are just as good

·
Registered
110 Posts
Both are excellent choices. It might literally come down to which you find first.

Personally I'd love to try the .204 Ruger. Reading great things, and factory loads above 4000fps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Well I have a .223 that I bought when I was looking for a 22-250 about 6-7 years ago. I was looking for a Tikka .... folks may remember that there was a time back where the new price for one ($500 odd dollars pre tax) made it likely the best overall value in Canada in a new Rifle. Should have bought a case of them and I'd be doubling my money selling them today practically but I digress.

Anyway I was looking in the summer, not in Hunting season and taking my time shouldering a few different brands. Anyway I happened upon a slightly used rifle in 223 that after shouldering it I became quite interested in. It came with rings and about 40 rounds and was priced very similar to a new Tikka so it was in my price range and I remember thinking that it was too bad that it wasn't chambered in 22-250.

Anyway the thing is I was fixated on the 250 having honestly never shot either in any volume. As it happens there were 2 guys at the range shooting 200m and 300m with each cartridge one day I was there and we started discussing the various pros and cons. Realistically one of the guys pointed out that in his eyes it was much like the 308 vs 30-06 debate. The pointed out that if they wanted to reach out much farther with either to shoot paper that they would both have to adjust their scope elevation, that most factory ammo was chambered in light target/varmint projectiles and at the time .223 was much less expensive to shoot.

I've found that the pricing for factory ammunition has become a lot more similar the past couple of years to the point that ammo availability and pricing may still be a consideration but not one that would weigh very heavily in my decision making today.

Anyway as you've likely figured out I decided to buy the used rifle that I had looked at and 'settled' for the .223. It has gone on to become my favorite rifle and for sure the one that makes every trip to the range with me. Though honestly if the rifle that I'd found had been chambered in 22-250 I am confident I'd be saying the same thing.

If I was to get something different at this point I don't think it would be a 22-250 or even the 204 but a 220-swift in the right package and at the right price might tempt me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either so my thoughts would be to see what's available and find a rifle that fits you and shoulders well.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Do you reload, or have a good buddy that does?
If so, there is a much better option than either of these........
Just come out with it CDog, let's hear your opinion for us that do reload

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just come out with it CDog, let's hear your opinion for us that do reload
HEHEE, just had to tease a bit...
I have a 223, 22-250ai and the best is easily a 22br!
It will give up 3750fps with 55 gr pill, using less powder than the 22-250, Lapua brass that lasts forever, and is more accurate than the other two
The br stands for bench rest, it is easily formed from 6br brass with one stroke of the press, no fireforming.
Mine is a heavy barrel one in seven twist, i can run up to 90 gr bullets in it.
When my ai burns up i will be buying a sporter weight one in eight in 22br, its the bees knees!
Here is a link that will give you the heads up.........
22BR info

·
Registered
17 Posts
I own both the 223 and the 22-250 and the 22-250 is my 'go-to' gun for coyotes. The 22-250 will give you a fair bit more smack than the 223 but any of the varmint calibers get a thumbs-up from me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will also use my .17 Rem (not to be confused with the 17 HMR) when I wish to mount any nice coyotes or varmints that I shoot. I find the 223s and the 22-250s can kinda mess the coyotes up depending on shot placement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
HI i had a browning bolt 22 250 sold it next to cheap $250 saved the scope that is it.I got myself a savage axis AKA edge will stik to the 223 cheaper to shoot lest noise at 100yrd .5 moa with barns 62gr jhp. Your choice to make.The 250 could not make under 3"moa.Whit the same bullet.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts