New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and gals,
i'm looking at getting a new rimfire rifle and can't decide on a caliber. i'm jumping between 22mag and 17hmr. i don't know anyone who owns a rifle in either of these calibers so i've just been reading reviews online.
my intensions for this gun are..
(1) plinking
(2)rabbits, squirrels, crows, etc.
(3)coyotes- if i happened upon one while out in the field.
what is your preferance?
thanks
WW

·
Registered
358 Posts
.22 mag is cheaper and easier to find, I believe. But that might be changing.

I'd rather shoot .22 mag but it's supposedly less accurate.

I had a single shot Mauser 98k in .22 mag that I should never have sold. It was deadly fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
22 mag...Stronger!!
17 hmr...Faster!!
Personally I would go 22 Hornet
Just because its centerfire and can be loaded, brass last forever, and takes very little powder!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
A 22 mag will run you a bit less $$$ if you are shooting any amount of ammo, and is probably the better caliber if you had a chance at a coyote.
Wind will affect both cals quite drasticly at any range a bit more drift with the 17 but not much. The 17 will shoot a lot flatter, I sighted both in at 100m and the 17 has about 7" drop at 200m with 17gr vmax bullits and my 22 mag had about 15" drop at 200m with standard 40gr loads.

With the 22 mag there is a bit more options for bullits, anywhere from 30 gr th 50 gr where the 17 sends either 17 or 20 gr bullits.

Most of the rifles that are chambered in 17 hmr are heavy barrels whereas with a 22 mag you can get a heavy barrel or a sporter weight barrel in most factory offerings, this may be a factor if you plan on doing a lot of waliking with the rifle.

If I was shooting prarie dogs I would go with the 17 hmr hands down but for NB hunting I would have to vote for the 22 mag in a sporter weight barrel for easier carrying and more ammo options.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
hey guys and gals,
i'm looking at getting a new rimfire rifle and can't decide on a caliber. i'm jumping between 22mag and 17hmr. i don't know anyone who owns a rifle in either of these calibers so i've just been reading reviews online.
my intensions for this gun are..
(1) plinking
(2)rabbits, squirrels, crows, etc.
(3)coyotes- if i happened upon one while out in the field.
what is your preferance?
thanks
WW
I think Wonsky has your answer, if you reload...

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
I think Wonsky has your answer, if you reload...
Agree with Wonsky as well -- hate shooting things where i cant re use the brass

if i was going to choose one --> 22 mag

·
Registered
50 Posts
I personally have a .22 mag, I have been shooting it now for 20 years. It is just an inexpensive one that my parents bought for me one christmas. That gun still shoots just as good today as it did 20 years ago when i first got it. I have probably put over 1000 rounds through it. I think that it has plenty of power to kill a coyote, but you have to know your limits with it. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the input guys.
so i was leaning towards the 22mag, and then while out christmas shopping for the wife i decided to check out the ammo cabinet in the sporting goods dept. (come on...like you wouldn't?). i found that crappy tire and walmart both only carry the 17hmr. one has the 17gr. and the other 20gr. i thought this was supposed to be the more difficult one to find. so this has got me thinking again. maybe i'll go with the 17.
also just to pick the brains of the reloaders.... about what would it cost to reload my 22-250? figuring that i'm all set up and reusing my old brass. the 17hmr ran between $16-$20 for 50 rds.
thanks again
WW

·
Registered
317 Posts
so i was leaning towards the 22mag, and then while out christmas shopping for the wife i decided to check out the ammo cabinet in the sporting goods dept. (come on...like you wouldn't?). i found that crappy tire and walmart both only carry the 17hmr. one has the 17gr. and the other 20gr. i thought this was supposed to be the more difficult one to find. so this has got me thinking again. maybe i'll go with the 17.
also just to pick the brains of the reloaders.... about what would it cost to reload my 22-250? figuring that i'm all set up and reusing my old brass. the 17hmr ran between $16-$20 for 50 rds.
thanks again
WW
Just for the components for loading 22-250 it costs about 45 (tax in)cents per round and up, depending on what bullets you want to use the price can go up quite a bit.

Here is a $ breakdown of one of my favorite loads (cheap and accurate).

35 grains IMR 4064 = 20 cents
55 grain hornady spsx = 20 cents
rem 9 1/2 large rifle primer = 5 cents

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
a pound of powder (7000grs) = $40.00 - $45.00
100 hornady bullets = $35.00 or so
100 primers = $4.50 +/-

The Feeling, firing your first reload = Priceless ...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
a pound of powder (7000grs) = $40.00 - $45.00
100 hornady bullets = $35.00 or so
100 primers = $4.50 +/-

The Feeling, firing your first reload = Priceless ...
Agree 1000%, if you already have a 22-250, put your money into a reloading setup, if you have a larger caliber rifle for the big game you can build better than premium ammo for a HUGE savings over a box of the ''good stuff''.
Making your own bullets is almost as fun of a hobby as firing them, imho!

·
Registered
456 Posts
so i was leaning towards the 22mag, and then while out christmas shopping for the wife i decided to check out the ammo cabinet in the sporting goods dept. (come on...like you wouldn't?). i found that crappy tire and walmart both only carry the 17hmr. one has the 17gr. and the other 20gr. i thought this was supposed to be the more difficult one to findWW
»Walmart hardly ever even has 12ga shells. Ive seen 22mag at crappy tire before, (litsed as 22 wmr not 22 mag) over all there are a little more options for 22 mag as far as bullet type ect, based on what ive seen they are around 5 bucks cheaper depending on what u want, i think last time i bought 17hmr ammo it was 18.99 andf 22 mag was around 14-15

·
Registered
531 Posts
I love my .22 mag. Mine is about as old as I am, but still fires right on!!!
It doesn't get used very much anymore, but I would never think of selling the gun.
Fun lil target gun...or for plickin' crows off the wood pile!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts