New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

30-30...Who'll be using one

2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Wardo 
#1 ·
I was curious after Greyghost's commtents in another topic. Who will be using a 30-30 in the rifle season?

I decided yesterday that I was going to use my late Grandfathers 30-30 with peep sight again this year. I will only bring the 30.06 out if I hunt a field.

#2 ·
Cool ,I have my grandfathers 32sp that I like to use once in a while. I think the other gentle man may have missunderstood my earlier coments , I was trying to get the point across that we are lucky that we have the ability to use diferent deferent gear and products to suit our individual desires , certainly not that one thing is better than an other .

#3 ·
I will carry the marlin 3030 when I go for a midday stroll in the woods but when on stand it will be the ultra mag or 30-06

#5 ·
nothing wrong with using a 30-30
i have a 30-30 marlin that i bought when i was 18 yrs old!
i used it and my uncle and brother used it!
it has shot alot of game!!!
including moose!
i still take it with me once in awhile!
and i have a 30.06 Remington pump that i love!
but neither beat my bow!!!!
that is my #1 choice!
my 30-30 is now my son's gun....i passed it on to him....but it is still at my place!
he will be turning 18 this year...so...rather keep it in my sight!!!!

#6 ·
Hey guys, A fellow gave me a 3030 this spring that he had left at an old camp, over the winter. the roof leaked badly, and soaked the mattress which is where he put the old 3030 under. and this spring it was a sight.Rust rust rust,,,even the stock was moldy. Anyways Im going to try to save it. I always liked the 3030winchester,

G
#8 ·
I'll break out my Dad's 1964 Winchester 32 Special on occasion...he still uses it mainly and I'm a die hard bowhunter right till the last day of the season. I do like carrying it on mid-day November skulks through various terrain and scouting about while I give my treestand area a rest. It's easy to carry and shoots quick with plenty of knock down power at close range. Once evening comes and I'm headed for a treestand, it goes back in the case and the bow comes out.

I grew up hunting with my Dad on that 32 special ( only rifle he ever owned )...so a sentimental piece of history I like to carry a few times a year.

#12 ·
I always pack my dads 1958 model 94 30-30 when I'm going for a walkabout in the big trees. I love the way it looks and feels in my hands. I bought my own 30-30 model 94 about 20 years ago just because I loved the gun so much but it was a post 64 and just wasn't the same. That ended up getting stolen but I can't say I really miss it. If I ever lost my Dad's I'd be heartsick.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Speaking only of ballistics, the .308 is superior on almost every account. However, since the 30-30 uses a blunt tip it tends to be less affected when hitting a branch on the way through a thick patch than the 308. That's probably why some people prefer them in the dense bush. Also, it's very compact and light, which makes it easier to carry through the nasty stuff. Personally, I've found deer shot with the 30-30 tend to have a lot more bruised and blood shot meat than when you use a 308 or an '06, so given the choice of any 30 caliber, I'll be sticking to my trusty Savage 99 in 308 for Deer.

#15 ·
I still occasionally use my Marlin .30-30. Actually, truth be known, it's one of my favorite guns. Handed down to me by my dad, it's known as my "cowboy gun".
If I plan to hunt in a dense area, I take my trusty .30-30. If I'm hunting in a more open area or from the tree stand I use my .30-06.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.