New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one still hunt with a 300 sav.? My grandfather said when he was a young man that was the gun to have. I now have it and have harvested a few deer with it and don't know what cal. I would change too? any comments?

·
Registered
614 Posts
There are a few of us that use one, GH. If you look around the board, you'll find a thread about our experiences and impressions on that firearm. (Not sure where that thread is located, but it's in here somewhere.)
Generally, it got pretty good reviews from us owners, except for the most part we don't like the safety.
Look around and find that other thread in here. I'm sure you'll find it interesting.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have one and don't carry it much anymore but its been in the family for 4 generations (model 99) and it still shoots good. Hopefully someday my kids will use it
great deer caliber within 200 yards

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have my Granfather's 300sav. A good deer round with 150gr,close to a 308win inside 200 yds. I also have my Great Grandfather's 250-3000. I ran the serial#; it was manufactured early 1900's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does any one still hunt with a 300 sav.? My grandfather said when he was a young man that was the gun to have. I now have it and have harvested a few deer with it and don't know what cal. I would change too? any comments?
I think they are a fine cartridge. We tend to over gun ourselves in my opinion. I have found the savage 99 to be very accurate and very well balanced. I do not own one anymore but several of my friends hunt with them every year without any problems and they seem to really like the round. That being said you have to remember that every gun has its limitations so if it meet your needs then keep it. If your desire is to shoot 400 yards with pinpoint accuracy and little hold over then you best look for a 7mm mag or like cartridge to meet that need. But like others this is just my opinion. Best Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts