New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive seen on another site someone from here was saying there is an over abundance of 400-600 pound bears, and 300 plus pound whitetails in our province. I strongly disagree with this,Im not gonna say who said this but I just though I would try to help this guy come to reality on our animals in the province and the size and there population. Someone must be telling this fella some stories, because yes they are here, maybe, but in no way are they over abundant, anywheres. To the person who made this claim im not trying to bash you, but Im just trying to make you realize this is not the case, and falsly advising someone that it is the case, isnt a good idea.

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
I live for deer season and i have seen one deer field dressed 300 lbs .In 20 years and between me and my dad 10 over 200. he hunted every day for the ten years after he retired. and i hunt every chance i can the last 5 years being worse than the first 15.man what part did he say had the abundance of 300 lb deer im going........

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I think he was just miss informed im just trying to get him to see its not the case lol, Ive seen one deer 285, and quite a few over 200 but, 300 is a whole othe ball game, And im not a huge bear guy but im pretty sure a 400-600 pound black bear would be like shooting a 190 inch plus whitetail

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No no he is a guy from this site, but I just seen a post the same fella made on a different site. He was actually offereing to guide someone on one of these hunts in new brunswick, and was saying there is an over abundance of these animals available in the province

·
Registered
124 Posts
Some hard to sell a hunt if u talk about depleated whitetail numbers and small bears . WE know better.lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
The biggest ive seen weighed with my own eyes was 228 lbs field dressed, and that was a huge deer to me. I would have a very hard time believing someone got a 300 lb field dressed whitetail without seeing it on the scale with my own eyes. I didnt even think they got that big.

And as for 600 lb black bears in NB, Id love to see some pictures of them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not much of a bear expert. Just pick em off when ever I can. Even I think bears that large may be a stretch.

However in these parts there sure is an overabundance of bears.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've put some serious time in the woods since 1972 and my best deer dressed 257lbs and my best bear was 350lbs pretty proud of both animals

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol well thats great Mandy, Lie to someone to get them to waste there hard earned money on something that doesnt exsit, I dont mind people trying to sell a hunt if they are an outfitter, but to me, that is taking it to far, and your clients wont be long realizing your full of well you know what.

Ive seen one deer that was 285, dressed it was a beast, made my deer from this year that was 228 look like a spike. Biggest 8 point rack I have ever seen bases where literaly the size of my arm

·
Registered
409 Posts
600lb bear isn't unheard of in the Maritimes but it certainly isn't "the norm"
I'd bet the average wieght of bears taken each year ranges from 180 - 270lbs real wieghts ranging from 100 to 400ish with the odd one above that.
I've seen 300lb deer on the hoof and hanging on scales in sheds/barns...more on the hoof than scales.
They don't get that big makin mistakes

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not saying its imposible, but there is in no way and over abundant amount of either of them, If that was the case there would be alot of happy hunters

G

·
I've seen only one really giant deer (still alive), and I doubt it would dress 300. Seen a couple on the scales that were over 200, and there is a world of difference between them and most deer that are shot. I've seen a couple where the hunter thought he had a 200 pounder and it weighed in the 160s. I've dragged out two that I was sure was 500lbs while pulling, to have them drop 350lbs once I finally got them to the truck.

As far as bears, they are everywhere, but I know of only one large one that I'd estimate over 400, fall weight. I figure he's at least that since he's got 200lbs of my deer apples in him. He's still alive too. He makes the 150 pounders look like cubs. A buddy of mine shot one last spring that dressed 350 and it was a lot of bear. 600lbs? Not likely.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've seen only one really giant deer (still alive), and I doubt it would dress 300. Seen a couple on the scales that were over 200, and there is a world of difference between them and most deer that are shot. I've seen a couple where the hunter thought he had a 200 pounder and it weighed in the 160s. I've dragged out two that I was sure was 500lbs while pulling, to have them drop 350lbs once I finally got them to the truck.

As far as bears, they are everywhere, but I know of only one large one that I'd estimate over 400, fall weight. I figure he's at least that since he's got 200lbs of my deer apples in him. He's still alive too. He makes the 150 pounders look like cubs. A buddy of mine shot one last spring that dressed 350 and it was a lot of bear. 600lbs? Not likely.
Gee sorry never relised my post are being monitored.Let me correct 1 thing I said we have deer that can reach 3oolbs and some bears that can reach up to 600lbs .NO There is not an over abundance of deer and bears in that weight .But they are here and you do have the chance to shoot one.The normal is deer 200 to 250 BUCKS(were I hunt) and we see bears in 400lb plus range.In the future I will be sure to add pics and give exact proof of what I say.Last fall there were 3 bucks shot on new high way they are building between Penniac and Durham that field dress between 260 and 285 so on the hoof I would say they would hit 300lb range.There there ,smart as heck and tough to get,but they are there.In Scotch lake area my frinds shot 18 point non typical dressed 260 and 13 point that dressed 250 on hoof they would be close to 300.There is 1 out there 22 pointer looks like a small moose .The cutters call him box car willey because he is huge.Runs with dozen does.Smart as hell .We have been trying to smoke him 5 years straight but he always appears in a different place tough to pattern.There are big bucks in NB,Springfield has some brutes too.But they are cagy to say the least.We hunt because we have seen them shot and the hopes of maybe getting a smasher like these keeps you always full of excitement and anticipation.If it were easy to shoot ones like this every fall.I would quit.BUT THEY ARE THERE.Isn't that right MU'IN.All those bears we saw were not 400 to 600lbs and the buck you jumped in noisy rain suit was a 200 lbder.we better get glasses eh.

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
The biggest ive seen weighed with my own eyes was 228 lbs field dressed, and that was a huge deer to me. I would have a very hard time believing someone got a 300 lb field dressed whitetail without seeing it on the scale with my own eyes. I didnt even think they got that big.

And as for 600 lb black bears in NB, Id love to see some pictures of them.
sorry you missed it pal but hes compost now ill see if i can find dads old pics.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
he must have been hunting out of a outfitters or had a guide. we all ways say they are lot bigger then they are.
I was into the taxidermist one day and he just got in 6 bears and had them on the floor. He asked me what I thought they would weigh, I told him anywhere from 60lbs to 180lbs. He said yeah that's about what I thought. The Outfitter had told the hunters none were under 200lbs.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Biggest Dad shot was 282-283lbs FD, we put it on a scale back in '85 I think it was. There are a number shot that go over 250lbs every year and some that top out over 300. If you look at the biocheck data which represents somewhere around 15% of the harvest, it will usually have the top 10 all over 250lbs FD and one year they had one go 350lbs FD!
Not your everyday deer but we do have some nice ones running around. My biggest is still 205lbs FD, now if I can just smack that 14pt I should have one to beat that 205 mark

As for the bears if it make that 600lbs mark it would be equivelent to shooting a buck over 350lbs FD

It is possible and they are out there but rare as hen's teeth.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I figure this guy is up around 400lbs, at least I'm hoping

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6MM0r7PWaY&feature=player_detailpage

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think if you ask 10 guys to recount a hunt of a deer taken in the middle of a cut for example the shots will be 250 yards ....... Go pace it off and 9 of them will be under 100 yards.

Spend some time at a registration station and you will hear a lot of people tell the clerk their estimated weight to be 190 - 205 - 210 etc .... Head out when they are putting a tag in the leg and you will often find a 160 lb 8 pointer.

In the 80's my dad had one go 230 one year and another 235 the very next year .... On a meat pole beside other very respectable deer it is like the old sesame street song one of these things is not like the others.

My personal best is 205 .... It wasn't my best head by a long shot.

A few years ago a friend and I tagged out on the last day of the season, and we grabbed the two of them on Sunday morning to go register them. Mine was a 185 lb 9 pointer his if I recall correctly was 215 ... Maybe 220. Siting side by side one thing was clear his made mine look like an absolute f @ g !!!! Everyone that sees the photos asks who shot the little one or something like that.

A 190 lb guy stands beside a 220 lb guy and it is not always apparent who the bigger guy is ..... 2 field dressed deer with the same weight differential ....... Its hard to believe they're the same species sometimes lol .

Take a look at the great pictures Moosebuck posted
http://newbrunswickhunting.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1060-back-from-saskatchewan-pics/

Great deer, huge deer, good comparative references with full sized men beside them ....... But not 300 lb plus .... Catch a few like them on a a few trail cams or glass one in a field ESPECIALLY if there are other deer with him with no photographic evidence to stare at ..... Just your adrenaline fueled memory and the stories will start however.

So yes there are some bruisers out there ..... But an abundance?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts