New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a close range (100 yards), big bore, non recoiling rifle round that can be used on deer and bear. I've found the .44 rem mag, has less kick then a .30-30 ans the .44 bullet would have great stopping power, bullet are cheap too. Does anyone own a .44 rifle or have shot one and have some comments?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never owned one but have shot a friends before and didn't really like the caliber, not saying that it didn't shoot decent but it seem slow getting downrange. But that was also with cheap lead so that could have been the problem. If you were looking for more fire-power or knockdown power then I would try a 35rem(225grain bullet)or the 308mx(165grain hornady). I know a guy that bought a 308mx and they shoot awesome,3inch groups at 200yrds and bout the same as a 30-30 for recoil. I am currently looking into buying the new marlin 338mx and from what i've read the ballistics are slightly better than the 30-06 with the recoil comparible to a 308win.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
44 rem mag is a nice light recoil gun. Our family has had a semi auto one for almost 25 years now.. great little gun, but hard to find used. Ours has a cracked stalk on it, can't seem to find a replacement or used one for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Arseno-luv mine

chadman -I also have the ruger .44 carbine, with walnut stock,my stock wasn`t cracked, but pieces of the wood were actually missing around the breech,I fixed it by inlaying another piece of walnut, and you can hardly notice the difference.If it is just cracked,shouldn`t be too hard to remedy it.and I love mine,shot last two years deer with it.Reid

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been looking for a close range (100 yards), big bore, non recoiling rifle round that can be used on deer and bear. I've found the .44 rem mag, has less kick then a .30-30 ans the .44 bullet would have great stopping power, bullet are cheap too. Does anyone own a .44 rifle or have shot one and have some comments?
I have owned a ruger 44 mag carbine for about 25 yrs,find it to be an excellent bush gun for deer,and the wife enjoys shooting it ,as for bear I find it a little bit light and I switch to my 444 marlin for more penetration and less searching after dark.Not trying to turn you from using a 44 just my opinon.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Arseno-luv mine

chadman -I also have the ruger .44 carbine, with walnut stock,my stock wasn`t cracked, but pieces of the wood were actually missing around the breech,I fixed it by inlaying another piece of walnut, and you can hardly notice the difference.If it is just cracked,shouldn`t be too hard to remedy it.and I love mine,shot last two years deer with it.Reid
I tried to glue it myself, but... i'm no expert! lol should have taken it to someone who knows what their doing... it's together, works ok, just doesn't have that show room finish. My Dad has shot several bucks with it and my Mom has shot 4 or 5 does with it, none of them went far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts