New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info from people who own or shot a 45-70. Was wondering how bad they kicked, if they destroy alot of meat and if they are pretty accurate. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm looking for info from people who own or shot a 45-70. Was wondering how bad they kicked, if they destroy alot of meat and if they are pretty accurate. Thanks in advance!
Recoil Depends On What Ammo Your Shooting, Slap On a Limbsaver Pad And Your Laughin!!
As for meat damage, you will be pleasantly surprised as to how little damage it actually does...slow moving bullet just punches a hole, compared to the lower grain faster bullets that tend to tear apart.

I havent had time to play with my new SBL much yet,But Most reports suggest very good accuracy!!
Get one, I guarantee you'll love it!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Recoil Depends On What Ammo Your Shooting, Slap On a Limbsaver Pad And Your Laughin!!
As for meat damage, you will be pleasantly surprised as to how little damage it actually does...slow moving bullet just punches a hole, compared to the lower grain faster bullets that tend to tear apart.

I havent had time to play with my new SBL much yet,But Most reports suggest very good accuracy!!
Get one, I guarantee you'll love it!!
I had one, a marlin lever, nice gun.
If you make some hot home loads with the 500gr hornady solids, you can coax a bit of kick out of her,lol!!
I had to get a bit more firepower for the huge deer here, so I sold it!!!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
As a rule the cartridge is very accurate.

I owned a Marlin 1895 and it kicked like a mule. Every shot was like getting punched in the cheek and slammed in the shoulder at the same time. Hated it! It may have been that the rifle didn't fit me well enough.

I also had a T/C Contender (handgun) in 45/70. Loved it. Recoil was stout but for some reason I didn't mind it. FWIW, most guys that shot it declined the offer to shoot it again.

As for meat damage, just place your shot into the heart /lungs and you won't loose any meat.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a rule the cartridge is very accurate.

I owned a Marlin 1895 and it kicked like a mule. Every shot was like getting punched in the cheek and slammed in the shoulder at the same time. Hated it! It may have been that the rifle didn't fit me well enough.

I also had a T/C Contender (handgun) in 45/70. Loved it. Recoil was stout but for some reason I didn't mind it. FWIW, most guys that shot it declined the offer to shoot it again.

As for meat damage, just place your shot into the heart /lungs and you won't loose any meat.
how does it compare to the kick of a 30-30? I'm not heavy enough for something alot more then that.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
how does it compare to the kick of a 30-30? I'm not heavy enough for something alot more then that.
You Better Buy a Daisy Rider...And Pretend Its a 45/70 Ca'monnnnnnnnnnnn!!!
Hawooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you don't do well with more recoil then a .30-30 produces look else where then the .45-70 for your big bore dreams. why are you interested in the .45-70 if you don't mind my asking? Are you just looking to throw big peices of lead at moderate velocities for fun at the range or do you really want a big bore for hunting?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you don't do well with more recoil then a .30-30 produces look else where then the .45-70 for your big bore dreams. why are you interested in the .45-70 if you don't mind my asking? Are you just looking to throw big peices of lead at moderate velocities for fun at the range or do you really want a big bore for hunting?
its going to be used for hunting mostly for bear and deer, was looking at a 20 gauge slug gun too

·
Registered
31 Posts
A 45-70 shoots about the same as a decent slug gun velocity wise. If you like to hunt close quarters{under 100yrds}then either would be deadly. I've shot one deer with a 300grain slug out of my old lakefield pump at 50yrds and it never took a step and did not loose any meat in the process. I like hunting with differant types of firearms and am in the process of buying a 45-70 just to add another gun to the collection. Its pretty cool when you can get a deer bow-close and pile em up with a well placed shot no matter how big the gun.

·
Registered
259 Posts
For deer and bear take a look at marlins 1894 rifles in either .44 magnum or .45 colt if you reload, Also the Rossi puma rifle if your looking for a close range thumper to make a big hole.They're capable of killing deer and bears at 100 yards and have less recoil then a .45-70.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi there, not sure if you bought one yet but I LOVE THIS CALIBRE. I don't find that it kicks too bad and it ruins almost no meat. There is just a hole with no big impact area like you would find with .30-06 or bigger. A perfect bush gun for NB. I've had mine for two years, 2 shots, 2 deer, ZERO tracking required.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I've had mine for two years
Just looking at your rifle...With that stock on it wouldnt it be considered restricted?
(AR-15 style)
Which wouldnt allow you to beable to hunt with it, and by the looks of your pics you do hunt with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nope, she's non restricted. You should see my sks and 10-22 lol.
The ATI is similar to the Tapco drop in stocks. They are ok as long as the overall length meets the regs (over 660 mm total). And what a dream to carry and shoot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts