1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few bucks in the area im hunting

EK004249_zps063ad912.jpg

EK004259_zps8028fa36.jpg

This last guy is the one I want. He's a big old 6 point. His rack was a lot better last year but I imagine with his age now 8 and the tough winter he has receeded. Regardless I would love to shoot him. He's a big ole flat footer, An easy 200 lber

EK004161_zpsed6392dd.jpg

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yup, colder weather brought the troll, Cool Honkyidiot.... whatever, out from under his bridge. Good luck with the last few days of the season, gentlemen.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Yup, colder weather brought the troll, Cool Honkyidiot.... whatever, out from under his bridge. Good luck with the last few days of the season, gentlemen.
Aaaaah the Donkey....once again vying for the #1 spot on my BAN hitlist when I get my Mod badge....that is of course assuming my appointed Jr.Mod staff agrees,lol. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
Whoa, what's with all the hating folks? I'm simply stating it's a sad state of affairs in NB deerhunting when a hunter gets all excited when a few "lesser" bucks show up on his trailcam...especially compared to all the fun the hunting folks are having out west with all those monster bucks. C'mon peeps, let's show a little mature perspective here...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just try to remember that they may not be "lesser" deer to everyone. Each person who purchased a tag has the right to set their own standards and what they choose to pull the trigger on is not a decision that anyone else gets to make. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honky, how can you say an 8 year old big woods buck is a "lesser" animal. This deer is well over 200 pounds and age wise has already lived 3 lifetimes of most new Brunswick bucks. How many deer in that age class have you seriously killed. If you consistently do this in New Brunswick year after year than you are a far more superior hunter than I ever will be or anyone I know ever could be. Just because he's an older buck and only has 6 points doesn't make him lesser. He's a superior animal to live this long in this area. Here are some more pics of him for those who appreciate a true new Brunswick monster.

EK004409_zpseaaff917.jpg

EK004392_zpsde0fd574.jpg

EK004390_zpsd85a75cc.jpg

EK004321_zps98066ea6.jpg

EK004318_zpsb2ee2772.jpg

EK004304_zpsb33079a2.jpg

EK004303_zps341d8a64.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm referring to the "real monster bucks" out west, that make New Brunswick's bucks a "big bad joke".

I mean c'mon people, look at what the decades of the '80-'90's produced for whitetail bucks in NB. Never to been seen again because of Irving & Acadian Timber cutting out 90% of the deer wintering yards.

The harvest numbers are down this year you say? Well, I'll be damned! You say harsh winters and large winter kill numbers are to blame? Well, if the deer had a place to hunker down for the winter, instead on a wide open clearcut, (well at least some fat china man is warm with the house he built out of NB lumber) maybe we might still have some smasher bucks around NB, like we use to...!

Look at Deersdale, Once upon a time, I heard someone say (on this site) "We have seen many bucks in Deersdale comparable to those monster bucks they have out west".

It's just pathetic...this deer herd we have now, and they way most people are complacent with it...which make a lot of you fellas say "Yippee! I got a monster 8pt (with a 13in spread...must be 75 inches B&C!)...eating apples from my stand! I even got him on trail cam!

Wow...anyways...can't wait to see those awesome harvest numbers for 2014! It'll probably make me puke and pass out, then, when I wake up, I'll be heading to the nearest pawn shop to trade my hunting rifle in for a nice comfy easy chair, so I can relax at home and watch WILDTV and experience some real hunting!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh...and by the way nbbucks...that buck in the pictures really has quite the fugly rack...yuck! He'd have to put on an extra 5 years growth just for me to scope him...

·
Registered
96 Posts
CoolHonkyMan, maybe we are related? What you say is true. When I cut my hunting teeth in the early 80's, zone 18 had tons of deer. Heck, there were probably 50 does registered just at Black's Store in the first week. Now they allocate 50 doe tags for the WHOLE zone, for the whole season. Shame what has come from the way we harvest timber in this province. In 2000, provincial biologist put a plan(a good plan) in place were they wanted to have a yearly harvest of 20000 deer. To bad their plan had no control over timber harvesting techniques. In the last 14 years, harvest has fluctuated in the 4000 to 10000 range. Nowhere near 20000. We will be lucky to hit anything over 10000 anytime soon, certainly not for many years running.

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Oh...and by the way nbbucks...that buck in the pictures really has quite the fugly rack...yuck! He'd have to put on an extra 5 years growth just for me to scope him...
CHM, that buck will never put an extra 5 years of growth on that rack, 'cause he will be dead before that. What you have here is an extremely old deer by any standards, his rack is on the downhill and will never grow to ''western'' trophy proportions again in his lifetime. I would be curious though to see what kinda headgear he had on as a 5.5yr to 6.5yr old buck here in good 'ol NB. He musta been a smasher in his glory days.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'll be heading to the nearest pawn shop to trade my hunting rifle in for a nice comfy easy chair, so I can relax at home and watch WILDTV and experience some real hunting!!!
that statement right there pretty well tells it all!!!!

you dont need to say any more.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nothing wrong with the quality of NB deer...just the quantity. Mature buck for mature buck, NB can certainly hold it's own versus bucks from other provinces and states. There are major bucks taken in this province every year. Unfortunately we just don't have great numbers.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts