New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I posted this in a couple other threads as well. But I wanted to start a separate thread for it here too. Because someone else deserves as much credit for my successful deer hunt this week, as I do.
And his own thread to acknowledge it.

My season was pretty much deer less for the first three days on public land. Lots of sign when I started baiting it, then put up the stands, and the deer headed to Kansas or somewhere! Then came home to my old behind my house stand site. Put both stands up again "phew"..."puff" "puff"! Only a few does, that were so nervous many times they proceeded to just walk right on by the stand, and head for the corn field across the road a half mile away.

Then I moved to the other side of the road, where I had never set up before. Put up one stand.. "phew"…"puff"! And here, lots of sign. But they didn't seem to like my offering much. All pretty jumpy here as well! Wind seemed to hamper a lot of hunting chances!

But as I sat in the stand that Tuesday morning I did something that I only just remembered "this" morning when I woke up. And I felt a bit guilty for "not" remembering. So I have been doing some apologizing for it. And "thanking" as well.

As I sat there, only about ten minutes after getting into the stand.
I said a prayer to my dear old departed Dad, who past away on March 10 1987.

For some reason as I sat in the stand on that beautiful cold Tuesday morning before the sun was even over the horizon.. his memory just popped in my head. And the memory of another deer season in the 1990's (can't remember the exact year right now) that the old guy helped me out on my hunt. (That is another story for the "November Grey" thread).

As I sat recalling that incident from the past. I once again asked my Dad, for a little spiritual help. Something like, "please Dad.. if you can, I could use a little extra help this morning". "If not it's "OK".. but if you could just maybe give a buck a little nudge for me"…"I'd sure appreciate it!

I just remembered saying that prayer this morning, I swear!
And as I was looking up the date of his death, just to make sure I had it right. It gave me a chill, (and I really "lost it" for a bit)to realize it was on a "Tuesday" morning, that Dad passed away.
Pretty neat coincidence eh?…or was it?

So "Thank You" Dad for coming through for me once again. I sure appreciate it. And also I apologize for not remembering I had asked for your help until this morning.

And, I miss you deeply.
Your loving son.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
wow....
very touching archerynut!
great story and a very nice way to remember your dad!!!!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
its no coincidence we remember our dads / grandfathers etc when out in the woods.
For most of us these people are the reason we do what we do.
I think of my papa (dads dad) everytime I pick up one of my fly rods. My father and grandfathers taught me everything I know about hunting and fly fishing. Luckily for me I still hunt with my dad and hope to for a long time and my grandfather has stopped hunting now but he is still a regular phone call during the season for updates and 1 of the first calls I make when I harvest a deer. I even drive in to show him.
Nov 11th always kinda hits me when on the stand. My papa served in WWII and Korean wars and sitting quietly in the woods alone really makes a man appreciate how damn lucky we are!

Like archerynut said.......THANKS

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good read AN, just got back with dad, trying to find him a more sucessfull spot to harvest a large buck knowing he wont be here forever, and do feel i owe him tremendously as well..RR

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very touching, A.N. Thanks for posting that.
I miss my dad too.
Dad wasn't much of a hunter but he went out almost every year, if only to get away from his 6 kids (and I don't blame him!)
Dad shot one deer in his whole life, in a place called Malakoff, near Shediac.
After that, the ol' bastard was intolerable.
"Why are you hunting in Millstream? All the deer are in Malakoff! Why are you hunting in Petitcodiac? All the deer are in Malakoff!"

Shot one deer in 40 years, now all of a sudden he's an expert!
God rest his merry soul.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Wow, what a touching story!
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its no coincidence we remember our dads / grandfathers etc when out in the woods.
For most of us these people are the reason we do what we do.
I think of my papa (dads dad) everytime I pick up one of my fly rods. My father and grandfathers taught me everything I know about hunting and fly fishing. Luckily for me I still hunt with my dad and hope to for a long time and my grandfather has stopped hunting now but he is still a regular phone call during the season for updates and 1 of the first calls I make when I harvest a deer. I even drive in to show him.
Nov 11th always kinda hits me when on the stand. My papa served in WWII and Korean wars and sitting quietly in the woods alone really makes a man appreciate how damn lucky we are!

Like archerynut said.......THANKS
Yes nbdeerhunter...damn lucky indeed.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very touching, A.N. Thanks for posting that.
I miss my dad too.
Dad wasn't much of a hunter but he went out almost every year, if only to get away from his 6 kids (and I don't blame him!)
Dad shot one deer in his whole life, in a place called Malakoff, near Shediac.
After that, the ol' bastard was intolerable.
"Why are you hunting in Millstream? All the deer are in Malakoff! Why are you hunting in Petitcodiac? All the deer are in Malakoff!"

Shot one deer in 40 years, now all of a sudden he's an expert!
God rest his merry soul.
I hear ya lobsterman "LoL"! My dad didn't hunt much either. He never killed a deer after I was born. Oh he took a pot shot or two from time to time at a deer (usually with an old bolt 12 gauge he had), while out in the woods working during the hunting season. Missed every time though using slugs.

But he was always pretty opinionated about most things as well. I don't think a single deer I killed, when living at home lived up to his "taste" standards.
But I know he was proud of me taking them for sure.

And taking a whole day to hunt anything was a waste of farm work time!

Yep!...my dad had one problem. He was living "too far" ahead of his time. He would have been a lot happier, back in the horse and buggy days for sure. Hopefully, his spirit is somewhere right now cutting down a tree with a cross-cut saw, or limbing it with a double bit axe. Or working a team of horses.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Your "very" welcome Bradley. Thank you for reading!
Hunting for me (and Salmon Fishing) perhaps not entirely but for a very large part Fundamentally is about being in the same head space as you describe in retelling this story. I think we could all benefit from being "there" as much as we can and if we were in that frame of mind from the outset there'd be a lot less infighting and nit picking.

A bad day hunting still beats the stuffing out of a good day at work.... Dad was right about that.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, what a touching story!
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks "CG", and your welcome as well.

I don't want to give the illusion here that I am a real "religious" church-goer here either.
Because I am not. I "believe"...oh yessiree...I surely do. But I have my own set of afterlife visions, and they are probably not exactly the same as everyone Else's. But I know in my heart that this body, is not the end by any means. Everything and everyone has a purpose in this life. And "that purpose".. "never ends".

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hunting for me (and Salmon Fishing) perhaps not entirely but for a very large part Fundamentally is about being in the same head space as you describe in retelling this story. I think we could all benefit from being "there" as much as we can and if we were in that frame of mind from the outset there'd be a lot less infighting and nit picking.

A bad day hunting still beats the stuffing out of a good day at work.... Dad was right about that.
You got that right Bradley! That's the thing, I was getting so frustrated at the way my season was going so far, That I forgot to really "appreciate" the outdoors. Maybe that's why the memory of my dad suddenly popped into my head. To say "OK son" ..I'll help you out once again"...but try to remember, it's all about being grateful to be alive, and look at what you "do" have. And then In my "celebratory state" I go and "forget" that I had asked him for the help!

That's why I posted this story over on another thread at first. Because Hoytman was feeling pretty down about getting older, and his season not going so well either. I thought it might cheer him up a bit. I hope it did.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Touching read archerynutNB,I can relate 100%...I once did the exact same thing,but only it was during the moose season...it was the last day of the hunt and we hadn't seen a thing so i said a little prayer to my "Gramps" someone my entire family could always rely on...after my little chat with my "Gramps",it wasn't twenty minutes later we had a fourteen point bull on the ground!! Thank's again Gramps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
nice story, i lost my dad when i was 6.
i remember last year after i shot a nice litle buck , while me and my friends was looking for it , after about 20 minute of looking and no sign of blood or tracks , i just looked up in the air and say to my self '' dad help me out a bit i realy want to find this buck'' then right when i looked back on the ground their was this one deer track that was different then the others and going to the other direction where we where looking , then my friends just see's me bolting to the other direction , not even 40 yards after seing this amazing different deer track , their was my litle 9 point buck , dead on the ground , i just let a big screem out to let my friends now that i found him and just thanked dad for helping me out
RIP DAD

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice read AN,You know he was up there with a smile on his face.My dad be gone for 14 yrs and mom this spring-miss both of them every day

1 - 20 of 28 Posts