New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What work do you all recommend to get better accuracy out of your rifles?

I dropped my Remington off at Blue Mountain Sports today on the way back from Saint John to have the trigger work done and have it bedded. He'll drop the trigger down to 2.5lbs and if it won't do it without play then he's going to replace it with a Timney. It comes with the new 40X trigger by Remington which is supposed to be pretty good anyway, not a Timney but good.

I thought maybe I should have it blueprinted but I'll wait till I see how it shoots before I have any more done to it. I know it isn't true from the unevenness of the wear I'm seeing but it still shoots better than me right now so I'll wait till I get a little better on the shooting end first. I figure when I replace the barrell maybe? Or do you think I should just have all the work done now to prevent the excessive wearing and decreased accuracy? Or do you think it even necessary? I'm planning on doing some of the 300-600m RNBRA shoots this spring/summer.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
yes, get it printed, trigger and barrel chambered in a proven target round, something that takes lapua brass, and man, get reloadin'!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yes , with reloading you will see the biggest gain in accuracy. Rule of thumb in long range shooting is--"When you out shoot your rifle, then you start up grading". ie barrels,trigger,scope ,stock,etc. Took me several seasons before I upgraded to a better kit.

Reloading for accuracy takes a bit of time and patience. It is way different than reloading to make stuff go bang.There are so many powder/primer/brass combination involved. Their is varying degrees/levels as per grades of dies/press/gadgets. I stopped when neck turning my brass was the next thing. Gets costly to ring that last possible 1/10 of a moa out of a shooten rig.

My advice is to always purchase the best quality reloading gadgets out there. For accuracy they pay back.

Bowteck did you get my Pm's?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts