New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking over the deer harvesy report and looking at the age sex structure, Im currious it say adult male and fawn male, What are they considering an adult male, anything thats not a fawn or what

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
pfft thats whats wrong with our system nobody in the higher power cares or knows what they are talking about. I bet ya if ya counted spikes and 4 points in the fawn category I bet it would be the highest category by far.

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
for shure it would and thats why were not going to have any amounts of big deer around since bucks only came into affect the quality of deer in my area has droped by alot. I say let the meat hunters kill does and the rest of us can have a chance at a good deer its not going to hurt the deer numbers winter kill and poor forestery practices hurt deer numbers.Two years ago the goverment in there wisedoom cut the #1 highway back from new river to saint george someone on here will correct me if im wrong. but there were aprox 2500 deer hit between st stephen and st john most being in my area.GRRRR (the reason i herd they cut it back was so drivers would be able to see the deer comming)what they did was make a artifical yarding area right along the highway. OH my point either sex tags good goverment and forestry bad lol.

·
Banned
159 Posts
Thats one of the problems with the harvest numbers I see is that with most of the registration station being at Irvings or Hardware stores or what not is most of the people have no idea on what they are doing. Its not there fault but they could see a 100 lbs deer and say oh thats 160 or 200 lbs deer. Would it hurt to have 1 or 2 people actually at the DNR to register deer and weigh them. There is usually a guy or 2 out back sitting around not doing anything anyways. Maybe instead of giving money out for companies to come to NB they could create a few jobs for the deer season for a few seasonal workers.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thats one of the problems with the harvest numbers I see is that with most of the registration station being at Irvings or Hardware stores or what not is most of the people have no idea on what they are doing. Its not there fault but they could see a 100 lbs deer and say oh thats 160 or 200 lbs deer. Would it hurt to have 1 or 2 people actually at the DNR to register deer and weigh them. There is usually a guy or 2 out back sitting around not doing anything anyways. Maybe instead of giving money out for companies to come to NB they could create a few jobs for the deer season for a few seasonal workers.
I agree! Its a disgrace that the NB Govt collects money from hunters each year. Barely paying merchants to "collect" that money. But refuse to set up registration stations across the province for just a few weeks. They couild stil set-up at store locations. Aren't there some Forestry College students that could use a few weeks work in the fall?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I agree! Its a disgrace that the NB Govt collects money from hunters each year. Barely paying merchants to "collect" that money. But refuse to set up registration stations across the province for just a few weeks. They couild stil set-up at store locations. Aren't there some Forestry College students that could use a few weeks work in the fall?
I totally agree with you AN. I think the spike fawn thing is complicated because of possible Antler growth with a yearling, we've all seen spikes, forks, 6's, and even the odd 8 pointer all in Bucks roughly the same age. How do we expect granny at the Quick Stop to be able to age deer, when most hunters (myself included) are far from experts at it? Especially when DNR pays the store (I've heard) $1 a deer for each one they register, that's not close to enough for them to hire any additional employees who could handle it properly.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I asked Rod Cumberland about not shooting spikes here on the island, he said he couldn't answer the question because we need more data!
He suggested a permanent individual collecting the data from every animal harvested here for the entire fall, he said this info would be priceless on how to better manage our herd.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
How could a yearling spike that is old enough to breed possibly be considered a fawn. That makes absolutely no sense. Would a yearling doe with a fawn be considered a a fawn also?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How could a yearling spike possibly be considered an adult male.
Maybe they need another category or two
I agree, a 12 year old boy can reproduce, does that make him mature???
Why shoot the spikes? There is no challenge in it whatsoever, he may be carrying great genes!
Everyone complains about not seeing nice mature deer, how many are taken before they ever get a chance to do so?
And no, I don't think every spike has the potential to be a monster, but youll never know if we take him as a spike....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
as far as it being no challenge I disagree it still a deer, for me its more that i dont see the point, most of use whant to shoot big bucks

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
What point are you all trying to make? Do you want DNR to categorize them fawn, yearling, 2.5 yr old and 3.5 and 4.5+? What difference does it make? If this is what you're looking for, a better breakdown of age classes being harvested, then just call Rod and get the harvest structure sent to ya from the bio data.

A buck is classed mature when it carries hard antler and can breed.

You can say it's not mature but what is mature, someone mentioned a 12 year old can breed in humans but he's not mature, ok what's mature. I know some 40 year old males that I don't consider mature either

Where do you want to draw the line on deer? 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, more? 2.5 and 3.5 yr old bucks are still growing too and have not reached their full potential so where do you draw the line? What one person considers mature for shooting purposes is not what the next will.

And what is the purpose of DNR registering deer? They have biocheck stations around the province for data info and the teeth/jaw gets aged and the weight is off a scale. The other check stations just register deer as buck doe, fawn, not too complicated.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What point are you all trying to make? Do you want DNR to categorize them fawn, yearling, 2.5 yr old and 3.5 and 4.5+? What difference does it make? If this is what you're looking for, a better breakdown of age classes being harvested, then just call Rod and get the harvest structure sent to ya from the bio data.

A buck is classed mature when it carries hard antler and can breed.

You can say it's not mature but what is mature, someone mentioned a 12 year old can breed in humans but he's not mature, ok what's mature. I know some 40 year old males that I don't consider mature either

Where do you want to draw the line on deer? 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, more? 2.5 and 3.5 yr old bucks are still growing too and have not reached their full potential so where do you draw the line? What one person considers mature for shooting purposes is not what the next will.

And what is the purpose of DNR registering deer? They have biocheck stations around the province for data info and the teeth/jaw gets aged and the weight is off a scale. The other check stations just register deer as buck doe, fawn, not too complicated.
A spike will easily come to an apple pile, will a 5.5 year old???
There is no such data like you are speaking of collected on the island.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bowtech I was just reffering to the circle graph on the natural resourse site, about the big game harvest report, I just was wondering what percentage of the Adult bucks, not mature bucks, where actually yearling bucks. I think its just misleading the way they put it, 76.2 percent of our harvest are adult bucks. What I was wondering how many of that 76.2 percent are actually yearling bucks, spikes 4 prongs. I actually had a 8 point yearling at my apples this year.

I think someone who didnt no better would read that and say holy crap, Nb hunters are mostly harvesting Adult bucks, things must be good.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bowtech what does this Bio data include, what deer, A percentage, one station, A whole year, what I dont know. Ive never seen it, I might give him and email, and hopefully get something.

Until recently I havent done much reading and research on our deer, and our deer situation . Im just kinda getting started on the information side of things. Ive been a hunter, but now im looking to be a better informed hunter.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
A spike will easily come to an apple pile, will a 5.5 year old???
There is no such data like you are speaking of collected on the island.
I don't know if it is collected on GM or not, I know it is collected here.

Are you saying that coming to bait piles is an indication of age??? A spike will come to an apple pile and so will a 5.5 yr old. If not there would be very few shot in NB at all. He might be more cautious if he's had negative experiences with humans around the pile and come at differnt times or scent check it first but he still comes. Coming to an apple pile has no bearing on age, it is how much pressure has been applied to the buck previously.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol yeh thats for sure, Lots of big bucks are killed over an apple pile CDOG, Yes you have to be smarter but they will still come. Actually I spooked a spike of a bait pile this year and he never came back. Educated deer are the ones ya have to worry about

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
lol yeh thats for sure, Lots of big bucks are killed over an apple pile CDOG, Yes you have to be smarter but they will still come. Actually I spooked a spike of a bait pile this year and he never came back. Educated deer are the ones ya have to worry about
I have never seen or heard of a large buck taken here over apples(during daylight hours)lol.
Of course its possible, I just don't understand why anyone would want to shoot tomorrows potential big deer?
I understand things here are a bit different and that is why sometimes my opinion varies from the mainland hunters, but I guess if someone considers a spike a challenge then there opinion is different than mine, and hey, that's fine!
I will go as far to say that I wouldn't want to hear the same person that shoots a spike whine about not seeing big deer, but guess what, I do all the time!
Anyway I'm sure this spike debate can go on forever, but like Rod said, without the data he can't say weather it is good to shoot them or not, so I would have to guess the rest of us can't figure it out without more info either?
Cdog.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts