New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Im getting a bunch of trailcams out and some apples in the next month. I was given 1500 pounds of apples. No better time to find out whats still alive. In past years its crazy to see what shows up on cam once the bucks switch to survival mode. I do this every year but this year i am not too optimistic. From the pre season and hunting season trailcam results i think i may be sadly disappointed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I looked around some clover fields today. There were deer there before the season but hunters were cruising the area morning and night.

Was very surprised today to see all the deer tracks in the snow and they were big tracks. The deer were checking every apple tree .

·
Registered
780 Posts
At one of my sites I have the 4 pointer I let walk, a 2.5 year old 8 pointer with his G2 and 3 broken clean off, and the big 10 pointer still all on hoof. I'll have pics in a couple of weeks from 3 other trail cameras I have around my other hunting spots.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a 12hr nite shift plowing snow tonite,then 4 days off,with nite shifts again Nov.29-30 if I need a cpl more days/hours to tag out.....so no post-season depression for me just yet. :)
I'm actually looking forward to big game season ending, with tons of new permissions this winter on ranches in prime coyote rangeland and prairie habitat,a 4on/4 off schedule to afford lotsa time to make some fur fly,and a job description that includes roadkill deer and yotie disposal....free bait ANDDDDD free coyote pelts if they're not tire mangled. :D

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
My 2016 NB deer hunting season started on November 22nd...

My best pre season scouting is done now and stored in my "deer" mind for predicting buck travel patterns a year from now. Except for early bow season feeding patterns, I find that deciphering big buck travel patterns after the October lull must be done before November ends in order to be in the right places during season dates. December camming and observations will only reveal to me yarding and post-rut re-feeding bucks near yards or doe concentrations. Harvest will be 2,000 to 3,000 heads...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Big buck travel patterns? You make it sound like you're hunting Saskatchewan. Lol. Well where I'm at you better get out a GPS and clone yourself so you can be at the right place at the lucky time. Lol. The only pattern they have with so few deer is that they are predictably sporadic. With the pressures of people in the fall and every stinking apple pile the deer are absolutely becoming nocturnal and spooked to death. It's pretty much all luck now

·
Registered
381 Posts
Big buck travel patterns? You make it sound like you're hunting Saskatchewan. Lol. Well where I'm at you better get out a GPS and clone yourself so you can be at the right place at the lucky time. Lol. The only pattern they have with so few deer is that they are predictably sporadic. With the pressures of people in the fall and every stinking apple pile the deer are absolutely becoming nocturnal and spooked to death. It's pretty much all luck now
Didn't you just write in another post you have 1500 lbs of apples for bait ???

·
Registered
415 Posts
I've somewhat patterned bucks before from aug-oct. They r in feed mode. I've had other, well most, that are totally random. If u get lucky and find his actual home range and his regular bedding area it can be done I believe. But luck has a lot to do with it. And once ppl hit the woods. 100% nocturnal. The biggest deer I have shot to date, had him patterned. And the night I took him, he was exactly on time. Like on the dot! But I also say I'm very lucky to have had the opportunity.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The apples were free and to find out what lived. You won't pattern a big buck this time of year. They are simply running.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 2016 NB deer hunting season started on November 22nd...

My best pre season scouting is done now and stored in my "deer" mind for predicting buck travel patterns a year from now. Except for early bow season feeding patterns, I find that deciphering big buck travel patterns after the October lull must be done before November ends in order to be in the right places during season dates. December camming and observations will only reveal to me yarding and post-rut re-feeding bucks near yards or doe concentrations. Harvest will be 2,000 to 3,000 heads...
In the times & transcript they are saying 4,313

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the times & transcript they are saying 4,313
Down a couple thousand compared to last year, not as bad as I was thinking it was going to be.

I would bet the amount of doe tags used this season is a couple percentage points higher.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im getting a bunch of trailcams out and some apples in the next month. I was given 1500 pounds of apples. No better time to find out whats still alive. In past years its crazy to see what shows up on cam once the bucks switch to survival mode. I do this every year but this year i am not too optimistic. From the pre season and hunting season trailcam results i think i may be sadly disappointed.
Maybe you can make a scrapbook with the trail cam pics you get and label it "The last of the lengendary bucks of NB".

Make sure you send the first two copies to JDI and Acadian Timber!!!

·
Former Mod
1,169 Posts
Last time I checked bucks were the ones making scrapes, rublines and leaving signs in staging areas, not does. Last time I checked faint big buck sign (ie: a lone single deep track in the snow) linking known bedding areas and doe concentrations I didnt have to travel out West..a 30 minute truck drive and a good hour walk was plenty fine. No deer left in one area is not all of NB. Next fall we will all be back at it. Finding that rutting buck faint sign now takes me closer to his core area....can't do that in April...sorry.

·
Registered
629 Posts
That's right. If you plan on having success next year, you gotta put your big boy boots on and get out there now at least for a look., oh crap, it's ugly outside right now... maybe tomorrow..

·
Registered
629 Posts
There are still a few left,... few! Bull's Eye's on the money, get out there now, you might just get a clue where to start looking next fall even if it is true that patterning a buck in nb is difficult.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts