New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

Allright fellas help me out!!!

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  nomad 
#1 ·
O.K. guys please chime in, im gonna buy a new rifle next week and im torn between two.X bolt hunter 270 WSM
and Rem 700 CDL SF 7mm Mag Absolutely in love with both guns,Having a hard time deciding which i want losing sleep,drinking helps but not solving the issue HELP MEE!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
If it were me I'd go with the 7mm. Probably be fine with either, but I'm not a fan of 270 or 270 WSM.

#3 ·
Both are really nice guns. I got the priviledge of trying both of those guns. For me, the one I liked the best was the 270. Very accurate gun and can shot straight for quite the distance. In the other hand, so can the 7mm. Before I got my 6.5*55, I always used the 270 and she never let me down so I would go with that.

#6 ·
I know there's a lot of love (and hype) for the 270 out there, I think most of it because of that damned Jack O'Connor
. For me there's just something about them that I've never liked. For my money I'd rather have a 7mm, 30-06 or even a good ol' 308 over the 270 hands down. Just my opinion.

#8 ·
Not to highjack scrapsniffers thread...
But please enlighten us on why you dont like the cal Wardo???
Well, it's a personal preference thing mostly I guess. I had great results with a Ruger in 270 at the range, that baby could drive tacks, and did on a regular basis.
The problem I had with the caliber was that when I put some lead into the boiler room of a deer with it, and if the deer didn't drop in the spot, there wouldn't be much blood AT ALL in the 50 yards (max) between where I shot the deer and where I recovered them. After that I tried a few different loads, different bullets, and had pretty much the same experience with it each time I used it. It didn't come back to bite me (I didn't lose any game because of it), but I always felt the potential was there, and not worth the risk for me.

It seemed (to me) that the .277 in bullet was slapping through at such a high speed and just not expanding enough for my likings. I've spoken to others who've had the same experience with the caliber, but twice as many who praise it as the best caliber there is.

I didn't fire at any deer 200-300 yards away, in fact all the deer I shot with it were under 50 yards away, maybe that had something to do with it? Maybe I'm just a fool, I'm sure I'll get some eye rolls out of you Wonksy.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm sure I'll get some eye rolls out of you Wonksy.
I didnt set out to bash your opinion pal...not sure if you took it that way or not.
Was just simply wondering why you didnt like the Cal...To Each His Own I Guess!!

P.S.
On a side note...
If a hunter cannot consistently down game with a 270win, then I'd have to argue(til the day I die I might add) thats its indeed the hunter & not the rifle!!!
How big a rifle do some lads need?
Kinda makes ya wonder how all them animals feel years ago to lower powered rifles.

This will be my last comment on this thread, as I dont feel its right to steal it from scrapsniffer.

#9 ·
Got to agree with Wardo.

Hunted with guys who used the .270 and the 7mm.

We spent many more times trying to find blood trails with the .270. The 7mm only one case of blood trailing a deer more than a few minutes.

Years ago I was the local blood trailer around here. Guys would hit deer and could not find them. Come get me and take me to spot where it all happened. Sometimes went for miles.

Long story short was ... after several years /several cases per year... I would ask guys first off what caliber they used...out of all calibers ,as many .270 shot deer were never found as 30/30,.32 spl,.308,30.06 all combined.

Just my experiences and not too scientific. My uncle had a .270 browning and I just used to dread him showing up here during hunting season. He could shoot too.

My opinion go with a 30 cal.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 7mm and a 270 wsm, absolutely love the wsm. I find for deer its a much better cartridge than the 7mm although there is nothing wrong with the 7mm, Wardo, you can't even compare the 270 with the 270wsm, 2 different cartridges.

So I'd be taking the 270 wsm over the 7mm.

In rifles however, I'm a huge Remington fan but I'd certainly take the x-bolt over the CDL because I think the CDL is on the lower end of the Rem scale, so the answer for me would be pretty clear on this one. Take the Browning in 270wsm. Bottom line is I don't think you can make a bad choice between the two.

G
#14 ·
I almost forgot... not to get all practical on you here, but...

In choosing the caliber, you might want to consider availability and price of ammunition. If you reload, this isn't an issue, but otherwise you might pay a lot for a limited selection (relative to the standard calibers).

Good luck with your new gun.

#16 ·
I dont think you can go wrong with either choice of rifle, id personaly prefer the x bolt because of how it shoulders and feels to me. One thing that may be a consideration with the 270 wsm though is the cost and availability of ammo for it, and if it has caught on enough that ammo will be easily available in the future. The 270 wsm ballistics are pretty impressive, but I would probably go with a standard cal as well like a 30-06 or 308. As far as choosing one rifle id go with the one that fits you the best and feels the most natural.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys,ive shouldered both rifles and love em both, the stock on the x bolt is a perfect fit,last moose season i broke a mount one one of my other guns and a buddy told me to use his x bolt 270wsm and i fell in love, ive had one of the remmys same as the one i want but in 30-06 and it was a good gun well crafted,but sold it. The stock on the browning is sooo damn nice! maybe ill flip a coin or just go and get one of Wonsky's Tikka's Hawooo Dont worry about hijackin my thread my friend i value your opinion Come on incometax check so i can go get er!!!!

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
maybe ill flip a coin or just go and get one of Wonsky's Tikka's Hawooo Dont worry about hijackin my thread my friend i value your opinion Come on incometax check so i can go get er!!!!
If ya have any Tikka questions pal dont hesitate to contact myself or bullseye!!

P.S.
I said I wasnt gonna comment on this thread anymore didnt I!!

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
The X-bolt cheeks very well, the Remington locking lugs has proven itself time and time again. Both very interesting choices of calibers for all around hunting in Eastern Canada.....except yoties here in Newbie (...that .270 short would have been sweet in a light load).

If price of ammo is a factor for you, I would go with the 7mm hands down. Simply put, to down game, it is one of the very best calibers out there, and ammunition runs cheap compared to the short actions.

As for brand of rifle, listen to wise old Wonsky and get it in T3 Light LOL!

#20 ·
scrapesniffer, I was a Remmy boy for over 35 yrs, and i have had several 270 rem rifles. I recently sold my Rem 300 win mag, and bought a Browning X bolt in a .280, I know not too popular. I can throw lead from 100 gr to 190 gr which a .270 i believe only goes to 150 gr.
I reload, which keeps the price down, and lots of ammo in supply.
Google the .280, you might be surprised.
I havn't had a chance to down a deer with it yet, so I cannot brag it up yet.
Very anxious to try it out.

#21 ·
Not to throw more info into the convo then needed but what about the 7mm-08? A underated round thats a high speed/low recoiling with very good expasion on most game. After doing research on the round it seems like it was very well engineered and should be more widely used. My 2 cents.

#22 ·
Well, out of the 2 choices, I'd choose the Remi just because I'd take a 7mm over the 270wsm.

I've always been a Remington guy, but I have to agree the quality has gone down hill a bit, personally, I'm jumping on the Savage train, you might want to take a look at one

#23 ·
I have a savage mod 16 fcss in 22-250 i like them but theres something about the x bolt i like. I might just split the difference and buy the savage 7mm WSm that wonsky has in the classifieds. I wont know what to do till i have the money in hand. Guess anything can happen. Its probably not going to be my go to gun . I just like to invest in new guns, as long as they are looked after they hold their value . I have several others that i just use for hunting, so this will be likely a occasional use rifle

#28 ·
I'd go with the Remmy, just my opinion, never been a Browning rifle fan tho I have not had the priviledge of trying a new X at the range. I do have 3 Model 700's, one of them new last year, and they all shot well under MOA out of the box, I have yet to experience the Remmy quality problems, tho I am not denying they may exist.

I think the CDL SF would be towards the higher end of Remmy`s regular production offerings next to the XCRs and Senderos. Buddy of mine has a CDL SF in a 7mm and and it shoots sub MOA with cheap factory ammo and it`s an absolutely BEAUTIFUL piece! Not sure what else one could ask for.

Just my 2 cents

Mauger, agreed on the 280 Rem, great caliber all too often overlooked! Considering one myself, don't need it, just want one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.