New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well whent out the other day and found a new stand location. Looks good so far, my friend who owns the property was baiting deer last year and had 4 bears come in and take his apples, So he desided we should try to take a few bears off his land, so I agreed lol. Looks to be a pretty beary area to me anyways, Im not expert on bears tho.

Anyways my question to some of you more experienced bear hunters, The spot I think I wanna set out bait at, is real thick spruce I mean real thick, then there is a swamp that runs about 30 yards wide and about 200 yards long. Its not real bad but its just a litle mossy bog sorta deal and on the other side it is real real thick spruce again. Anyways I found a nice litle opening on the side of the swamp that the trail is on. I dont think the bears will have a problem crossing the boggy area, we crossed it today no problem and it doesnt get anyworse it actually dries up for the most part. My question is do you think that litle swampy area might not be a great idea to try to get the bears to cross that to come to the bait, or do you think it will be ok. My gut is telling me not to worrie about it but I just whanted some opinions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I know about bears you shouldn't have any problems. Bears are a opportuntics animal. If they can smell it, they will come. If I was you, I'll start setting up your food plots pretty soon. Start getting them into your area. Also, I would only put very little bait for them. Always make them leave wanting more.....this way they will always come back. These are tips that other hunters told me. I would consider myself an amature bear hunter. By the way, you have yourself at great spot for moose hunting spot. Best of luck to you. Shot as many as you can!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input,
Im more less just concerned about the area with the swamp, Ive bear hunted before and have been successfull, but this is a defferent set up the my previous ones. I just wanna know if the bears will have a problem crossing the swampy area. Thanks tho. And yes once I get them coming i cut there food way back, so they are just dying to get at that sweet smell when I walk in.

·
Registered
542 Posts
shouldnt be no problem bears love beavers one of our best spots in right beside a big dead water we heard them splashing on there way into the bait before good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts