Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should holders have to harvest an antlerless deer if they have one
Yes945.00%
No1155.00%

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Even though I seem to consistently harvest a buck whenever I get lucky enough to be drawn for an antlerless tag. Sometimes I wonder if antlerless tag holders shouldn't have to shoot a antlerless deer.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Should have to harvest a doe in order to harvest a buck, in some zones i mean lol

I think you may see something intrudeced in a zone witch is comparable to grand manan island doe hunt, From a fairly reliable source

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I say no because right now it allows you a doe or buck....tell me this what if you had a doe tag and first morning a mature 8 or 10pt steps out....
I see nothing wrong with harvesting a doe but don't limit hunters to does only

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Should have to harvest a doe in order to harvest a buck, in some zones i mean lol

I think you may see something intrudeced in a zone witch is comparable to grand manan island doe hunt, From a fairly reliable source
with the overall state of our deer herd here in NB I can't imagine this happening anytime soon
I am well aware the southern part of the province has areas that the deer population is high but I think they will just increase the doe tags before implementing a doe before a buck rule

just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
i believe you may be supprise what will happen in zone 23 in the next few years
I think as far as the island goes its a no brainer, there would have to be another rule change so one isnt forced to buy a bow to do it though.
Like I have said before, I hope they put an antler restriction on as well.
The island is as close to a controlled habitat as you can get, I think there is a lot of opportunity for improvement....
Can you give us any more info?

G

·
I vote YES...it's what they are for, to control the overall herd numbers in certain areas. That said, I'd be a huge fan of the "Earn A Buck" systems which forces you to shoot a doe before you can get a buck tag. Like others said, it would only be practical in those areas with really high deer numbers. It's very popular out west (Alberta) and in some states. Makes alot of sense to me and would actually help herd managers/biologists control deer numbers in overpopulated areas....rather than guys sitting on a doe tag till the end of the season(just in case they dont see a buck) and then not filling it at all because the does vanished too.

Want a challenge ? Try hunting a big mature 2 and 1/2 plus year old doe with a bow...not an easy task by any stretch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I cannot even put into 'kind' words the elitism this portrays.

Just because someone got off their duff and got their license in time for the draw, you want to restrict them so they cant harvest a buck?

This has nothing to do with population control, at least nothing healthy. You kill off all the bucks, and you have a bunch of does that have only half of whats needed to breed. Next season you have inbreeding, because you don't have as healthy a supply of bucks. The mentality that its only hunting if you get a 600 point 20 foot wide spread is ridiculous.

I can honestly see deer hunting go the way of moose hunting if people keep wishing for all these restrictions, eventually, its going to hit the right ears.

Want a challenge ? Try hunting a big mature 2 and 1/2 plus year old doe with a bow...not an easy task by any stretch.
Sure its a challenge, probably a pretty exhilarating one too, sadly I don't think people hunt for the challenge, but more for a set of bones to throw on the wall.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Take a look at some bucks in your area and i think you will see the inbreeding has more then started to take place. I have seen a few friends shoot some bucks in quispamsis and the racks are very odd looking things. Something has to be done insided of quispamsis hampton millidgeville and im sure othere areas to.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
ya something needs to be done for sure. Problem is we as humans keep cutting down / bulldozing / then developing the deers habitat. Its happening everywhere and that is why the deer are becoming more urbanized. We are taking over their homes.

The entire buck doe issue is a tough one cause we need both to sustain a healthy herd province wide and in some places there are not enough of either and other places alot of does and smaller bucks.

I would like to see the doe tag system remain as alot of people will more than willingly shoot a doe...Myself included.
The one thing I would like to see change province wide is an antler restriction. Way too many spikes are being shot each year specially during the opening week. If we could protect them imagine the buck population the next year or 2. alot more 6 to 8 point bucks roaming the woods.

I myself have shot spike horns in the past and had no big issue with it but most of them were later in the season. I have a 4pt coming in on cam and he may even get shot late this week or next week.
I know I sound a bit contradicting but its legal and I know the guy not far from me will anyway so I might has well. My family and I enjoy the meat and make great use of it so it doesn't bother me too much

Even saying that I would let the 4pt walk if I knew in another 10minutes I wouldn't hear bang!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts