New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering haw everyones season is going. Myself i'v put about 20 stands up so far and last night was my only comfirmed response.200yard broadside shot and i blew it.I'm thinking its time to replace my single shot for a bolt or a semi.I could of had a follow up shot this is the second time that happened . two dogs still living eating deer and call shy that shouldn't be.In as many years.oh btw has anyone been haveing cats respond i'v had 3 come in this year one really close kind of unnerving havin a 30lb cat at 10 feet...

·
Registered
242 Posts
same here they are there blew a chance thursday shold have been walking but toke the bike insted and seen one on the groom trail where i cross it they are smart put out bait pile in one spot close to where someone els therw out some old carcuse they clened them right up but will not touch mine just walk by

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've had three cats come to my mouth calling in the past three years so don't be surprised if it happens to you too.
I love it.
I was camped out on a blowdown on the ice of a river last year and this cat couldn't see me. It started trotting up the ice right to me, then stopped about 20 yards out when it realized it was duped.
The look on its face was priceless: "Oh, ****!"

Wished I had a camera.
No more action here. Every time I get a day off, it's either snowing like hell outside or 90 kph winds. Gonna take a week off in Feb. and give 'er. Surely it can't storm every day for a week. Or can it?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've only seen one coyote while out hunting, and I was walking so we both surprised each other and I didn't even get to raise my rifle! I know he's still around, I saw his tracks in the fresh snow while going to my treestand, but he doesn't even come out of hiding. I put some ribs out, I will hopefully get a picture of it so I can post it. And there is also a cat up there too, not afraid of anything! It's a really great spot I've got, but still no luck. I'm probably not a good enough caller

·
Registered
83 Posts
I only have 2 dead in hand so far.

Shot 4 more that made it to the bush. Ravens are feeding on em now. Missed for the first time this year this morning.

I only hunt over bait. I used to go after the ones that get in the bush but don't bother anymore.

Wounded or maimed yotes can't chase deer. LOL

G

·
0 for 3 so far. I have to go to the range more.
I have sat 9 stands, and called in 3, I'm pleased with that.
I was going to go today, but she's to cold, maybe tomorrow.
Now I have to learn to shoot better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
0 for 3 so far. I have to go to the range more.
I have sat 9 stands, and called in 3, I'm pleased with that.
I was going to go today, but she's to cold, maybe tomorrow.
Now I have to learn to shoot better.
What are you guys using for calls? Some god awful rabbit in distress or an actual coyote call?

G

·
I'm using a Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler and a Verminator Tweety.
Both are open reed calls and easy to blow. You can get them online or at Cabela's of course.

I got on to those calls from watching the Randy Anderson movies for sale at the Big W. (Walmart).

I'm sure the type of call doesn't make much difference as long as you setup correctly.
Keep 'er simple and the dogs will come in. She's addictive that coyote hunting.

I wouldn't mind trying another call so if anybody has any suggestions pass them along.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying another call so if anybody has any suggestions pass them along.
I use the little Quaker Boy Chompers 3 piece set available at Canadian Tire($25-$30)
3 small mouth pieces...long range, medium range and short range.
They are distress calls

I've never had any luck with Howling calls, and have since givin up on them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
keep up the good work. wish i could do my part but im thinking bait is the way to go.the days i have off are usualy the crapy windy ones so callin dont work good.
Utopia you said you where up by here the other day. Stop in for sure next time by. I have been baiting for 20 years. I have had over the years been blessed enough to have observed and experienced how these critters react around bait.Every year,every day I see something new about coyote behavior. Just this morning at first light there was 5 yotes at the same time interacting around my bait pile. I did not shoot yet today as I have learned not to shoot if there is more than 1 yote visible around bait as ,I will get 1 and educate the others.I shot at 1 last week while another was there. That same yote now lurks in the edge of the bush. Real hard to get a shot.

I would like to get more guys killing yotes. I believe baits are the answer. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have the setup I have here. But I think if guys want to really work together in areas , they can have 1 bait where all in that area can take turns shooting. Have a schedule set up. It would take some coordination amongst the group but I think it would work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
called in a fox this morning, not what i wanted, but i least something was coming when i was calling! good lookin fox to, nice shinny coat on him.

·
utopiahunter
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Utopia you said you where up by here the other day. Stop in for sure next time by. I have been baiting for 20 years. I have had over the years been blessed enough to have observed and experienced how these critters react around bait.Every year,every day I see something new about coyote behavior. Just this morning at first light there was 5 yotes at the same time interacting around my bait pile. I did not shoot yet today as I have learned not to shoot if there is more than 1 yote visible around bait as ,I will get 1 and educate the others.I shot at 1 last week while another was there. That same yote now lurks in the edge of the bush. Real hard to get a shot.

I would like to get more guys killing yotes. I believe baits are the answer. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have the setup I have here. But I think if guys want to really work together in areas , they can have 1 bait where all in that area can take turns shooting. Have a schedule set up. It would take some coordination amongst the group but I think it would work.
lots of dogs down here how would you starte a bait to get them comming i have most mornings of but work every evening so unless its realy bad weather i wouldnt make it up but i have time to kill in the mournings pun intended

·
Registered
83 Posts
lots of dogs down here how would you starte a bait to get them comming i have most mornings of but work every evening so unless its realy bad weather i wouldnt make it up but i have time to kill in the mournings pun intended
Pick your spot.some place accessible that is also quiet from interference. Some place that is convenient for you not them. Some place where you can put out your bait at least 200 yards away. I shoot 300. Some place that they have cover coming to the bait is good for their confidence. Some place where you can put out bait and watch your bait that other people cant see etc. Some place where you can as easy as possible lug the bait to the pile. I am lucky I got a farm tractor. Build your hide as comfortable as possible in a spot that you can sneak into .With a proper rest to shoot off.

I can always tell which yotes have been to my bait before. They walk or trot right in. New ones are very wary till they a lunch or 2.

Location Location Location. LOL
Always remember with wildlife its always about getting food and safety. So if you can find the perfect spot to set up and find a good steady bait supply and keep it baited all it takes is your time and ammo LOL. I usually stop baiting when it gets too soft to get my tractor to the bait. They will still come for months after.

If you can only hunt in mornings try to find a buddy that will hunt evenings. Share the work and share the rewards.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I see where some guys in the US put the bait behind their house with a motion detector attached to a beeper in the house. Beeper goes off - they sneak to the window and BAM!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I see where some guys in the US put the bait behind their house with a motion detector attached to a beeper in the house. Beeper goes off - they sneak to the window and BAM!
I just look out the window. Also heard where guy put a video surveillance system in his house ,shop,office with camera aimed at bait.

Don't think motion sensor would work here. Darned bait stealing Ravens. I have figured out a way to cut down on their ability to clean out my bait but a few have figured it out. I pile some white spruce limbs(pasture spruce)over the bait. The yotes will almost stand on their face to eat.Ravens won't jump down amongst limbs to eat. Actually right now in this storm there are 4 ravens on top of my bait. That is better than 40.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts