New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my friends and I are looking for some places that we could goose hunt in the Fredericton area, no exactly location is need just a general area is appreciated! If you could help us out we'd really appreciate it,
Thanks folks,

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes there are birds around well i sAID I WOULD NEVER POST ANY THING HERE AGAIN.but seeing the post i had to put my two cents in. for birds being in M actaguac yes there are some and there is also there to four groups that hunt this area. most of birds are in spot not legal to hunt .been hunting this area last 15 years. there are only a few fields that hold geese that is legal to hunt in. and there is no room for more hunter here.i hunt in my area so you should hunt in yours .theres lots of geese in jemseg susex grand lake.so to save you some gas and time i would sajust scouting in diffrent area.the framers that let you hunt we all ready have permission. this is just my thought and a couple others. do you want me hunting in your back yard

·
Registered
480 Posts
Matt, as you can probably tell by the previous post, some hunters are not exatcly fond of forwarding hunting areas, and much less having someone on "their turf". It's best to do your homework well ahead of opening day to try to find potential spots (like a couple of weeks ago'ish), and if said spots are on private land at legal hunting distances, go and ask permission to hunt. More often than not, however, somebody already has dibbs on the land, but sometimes you can get lucky. Just don't stop at the first "no". You might have to ask ten or more land owners before you get a "yes".

·
Registered
193 Posts
You sound like some of the guys up here did when I moved here..

Instead of listening to the negative, I set out on my own. Turns out that farmers are willing to let you hunt if you are respectful, helpful, and not coming with an armed militia to hunt their property.

There is less hunters statistically year to year. This "don't hunt here it's mine" atitude is BS. Just cause you get comfortable in a good spot don't mean you got squatters rights. If you like it so much, lease or buy it. Embrace your comrades in arms. This great hobby/oppurtunity/freedom could one day vanish. I don't mind others in my area. I just hunt harder, scout more, and go longer and those are the years I do the best!

It's called hunting! This dude is using the tools available to get some food on the table. Good on him! Not my approach but whatever works! If he feels driving farther is worth it, so be it. It's a sport for some, a lifestyle for others, and a job for a lucky few.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Asking about waterfowl spots online is a sure way to get people upset. Lots of folks work hard to find where birds are and secure access to those areas. They don't take kindly to other folks trying to piggyback on all that hard work. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but that's usually the perception. At least you had the sense to ask about a general area, not specifics.

I do know that a few of my buddies were pretty good to me about showing me spots when I started hunting; I continue to hunt with them, and share my spots with them. However, I don't expect anyone to do that.

Anyway, I think a lot of the goose population is so shot up now that their patterns are all pretty unpredictable. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
This subject is a sore spot for my family. We own 150 acres near Oromocto, 50 near Beaver Dam and live near Canterbury. We have all our property posted yellow w/ #

We don't mind people hunting on it if they are being respectful to us and our property. We would appreciate to know you are on it, asking permission is great! We travel down to do the family thing from time to time and would like the privacy but other times have at 'er! That and we want to know what is taken so we can manage it! Nothing like having all your bears wiped out by some guys taking to much.

Just today, I was fishing at the Benton PUBLIC boat launch. Canoe in the water with my gear in it on shore. Some dude comes down with his pick up, looks around then whips around, shoving my canoe in the water with his truck. W. T. F? Then he stops and watches me wade out(I was also going out to scout new spots for blinds). Then? He drives away. No apology. No oops. Nothing.

Well I was furious, thought of all the things I could do to get him back, and there are a few. After fishing a little I came to my senses. I should forgive. And I have. I drive to where he lives and unfortunately I could not tell if they were there. I wasn't going to tramp around their beautiful property...

So to the gentlemen in the truck with the Ontario license plate and Moose Lodge Outfitters on the side. It's all water under the bridge. Happy hunting!

Anyways, off topic. It's the "I got mine" attitude that is destroying our families and culture. If you find yourself sharing turf, don't be mad. Don't hit the guys boat with your truck. Introduce yourselves and offer advice. Don't try to ward people off with the guise of to much pressure. Waterfowl populations are at a high, less people getting into hunting (Check the DNR stats!), and less people willing to offer a hand. You want your kids to enjoy this? Quit being a stick in the mud!

·
Registered
14 Posts
This subject is a sore spot for my family. We own 150 acres near Oromocto, 50 near Beaver Dam and live near Canterbury. We have all our property posted yellow w/ #

We don't mind people hunting on it if they are being respectful to us and our property. We would appreciate to know you are on it, asking permission is great! We travel down to do the family thing from time to time and would like the privacy but other times have at 'er! That and we want to know what is taken so we can manage it! Nothing like having all your bears wiped out by some guys taking to much.

Just today, I was fishing at the Benton PUBLIC boat launch. Canoe in the water with my gear in it on shore. Some dude comes down with his pick up, looks around then whips around, shoving my canoe in the water with his truck. W. T. F? Then he stops and watches me wade out(I was also going out to scout new spots for blinds). Then? He drives away. No apology. No oops. Nothing.

Well I was furious, thought of all the things I could do to get him back, and there are a few. After fishing a little I came to my senses. I should forgive. And I have. I drive to where he lives and unfortunately I could not tell if they were there. I wasn't going to tramp around their beautiful property...

So to the gentlemen in the truck with the Ontario license plate and Moose Lodge Outfitters on the side. It's all water under the bridge. Happy hunting!

Anyways, off topic. It's the "I got mine" attitude that is destroying our families and culture. If you find yourself sharing turf, don't be mad. Don't hit the guys boat with your truck. Introduce yourselves and offer advice. Don't try to ward people off with the guise of to much pressure. Waterfowl populations are at a high, less people getting into hunting (Check the DNR stats!), and less people willing to offer a hand. You want your kids to enjoy this? Quit being a stick in the mud!
Dude! this is a prime example of hunter etiquette .. props to you .. lord knows not many would do the same .. where I come from the hunting tradition is being destroyed by lazy arrogant people .. for example I was doing some bird hunting a long time ago and I found a old logging road that had been grown over and there were no signs anywhere .. I followed the road for a couple miles not seeing a thing as it turns out the road entered into a farmers field .. he came down a cussed me out I apologized up and down swore it would never happen again .. so I left and continued my hunt else where .. I headed home with 4 bird all in all but his attitude towards me was really festering me so I pulled in the front yard knocked on his door apologized one more time and left him with 2 birds .. I was about two steps from my truck when he hollered at me and this time he apologized said he lost his head and that I was welcome back anytime .. long story short even is some one is hostile .. its no reason to retaliate ..just showing the other respect may change both parties view

·
Registered
381 Posts
yes there are birds around well i sAID I WOULD NEVER POST ANY THING HERE AGAIN.but seeing the post i had to put my two cents in. for birds being in M actaguac yes there are some and there is also there to four groups that hunt this area. most of birds are in spot not legal to hunt .been hunting this area last 15 years. there are only a few fields that hold geese that is legal to hunt in. and there is no room for more hunter here.i hunt in my area so you should hunt in yours .theres lots of geese in jemseg susex grand lake.so to save you some gas and time i would sajust scouting in diffrent area.the framers that let you hunt we all ready have permission. this is just my thought and a couple others. do you want me hunting in your back yard
Classy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will give up my old spot, I have since moved away 6 yrs ago. Between Oromocto and Freddy, on the Lincoln Rd, Rte 102. There is a boat launch behind Phils Marina. Direct across the launch is an Island. In 2008 when I was leaving it was getting good. On the other side of the river is the Giant Patote or Punkin or some time. Any where along there is golden for waterfowowl

·
Registered
867 Posts
Lol....classy yep,bad grammar and all.
Seeing as you have the entire county all locked up,maybe you should go back to your not posting anything ever again and not worry about it,bwaaaahaha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts