New Brunswick Hunting Forum banner

ANY HOYT DEALERS IN NB OR NS

Tags
need price
5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Buttonbuck 
#1 ·
anybody stocking hoty bows and acc??

#5 ·
Yeah Charlie Spencer is a good guy for getting a few accessories and some things done to your bow but he doesn't carry much inventory. And you might get crapped on if you bring something there that he did not sell you. Example- getting some arrows re-fletched for a bow that you did not get from him. He gets a wee bit cranky>

I wouldn't waste a 40 minute drive one way ever again to stop at his shop.

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
BuckNuts, ya can't pick at him for that. he's had a few too many people that buy equipment from better buys or green diamond and expect him to set it up. I see where charlie is coming i wouldn't want to set up equipment that was bought from competetors either. remember he's just a small shop looking out for his own business. i've known charlie for 20+ years and have seen alot of problems he's had to fix because of people buying from these places

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
RuggerM77 - Charlie does this in the middle of nowhere in a baby barn. He relies on people driving 40 minutes or more one way to visit him and potentially get some gear. It's not about buying stuff from him. I've bought plenty over the years from him. In the past I went out of my way to call in advance to make sure he's home or make an appointment only to find out he has nothing in stock. And I have no issue paying for any service. I've had to make multiple trips out there over the years to pick up items he had to bring in since he had a few and sold them. He doesn't have a business! He has a frigging hobby! If he is pissed at people for asking for a bow to be set up then charge accordingly. What's the issue. Make it a flat hourly rate or whatever.

What totally surprised me when I stopped in there was the simple fact that I wanted a few crossbow bolts re-fletched because I tore them while shooting tight groups. I even broke the nock off on one.

I was not getting any work done to my crossbow. I just wanted my arrows fixed. And I know he doesn't do that for free if you buy from him.

Here's what I find funny. He says that he will do service for free on bows/crossbows bought from him. Well that summer I called Charlie and asked if he carried Ten Point crossbows. He said "Yes, I can have one here in a few weeks" I asked how much? "He said he didn't know" So with the unknowns playing in my head I decided to buy the crossbow from Lebaron and had it shipped expresspost for $25 and had it in a few days. From past experience with Charlie and other suppliers in New Brunswick, when they don't have something and say they can get it , That means it's not going to arrive or it will arrive months late and if it does you are going to pay a heII of alot more for it compared to somewhere else.

That being said. I brought him a handfull of arrows to refletch and 3 bolts for my Ten Point crossbow and he wasn't even sure he could repair them because he didn't have the jig used for the flat nocks of a crossbow bolt. So even if I bought my stuff from him he wasn't sure he could re-fletch my arrows.

And when all this happened I told him to give my arrows back when he went on his pi$$y rant about buying gear somewhere else. But instead he wouldn't give them back to me and decided he would try and fix them.

For the number of other products I bought from him over the years and customers I brought with me that bought a bow from him I felt a bit annoyed by his comments. And besides I waited weeks before trying to get items from him., If I didn't go there in the summer months and ask for them and have them put asside when they arrive, I would have nothing because he doesn't carry any inventory.

So my time and money spent at Spencers Archery is done.

In my opinion he is only in business for Tax deduction reasons. He has no inventory and only brings in a few things. You have to wait to get your stuff in if he can even get it and besides he's in the middle of nowhere. He is retired and does this as a hobby. If he wanted to make money and have customers then he would have a shop where there is population and demand for products. Not out in the boondocks in a baby barn.

#8 ·
All im gonna say about any of this. If your are unhappy with any shop. Call Scott at Archers Paradise, He whants your buisness, and has a real good one. He will earn your trust, and is a real, PRO shop. I havent been to another Pro shop in my life, well what I consider a pro shop. No offence to any of the shops around here, but they dont compare to scotts knowlege, and know how with a bow. Find another shop within 10 hours, that when any bow arrives he takes down to nuthen and rebuilds them to factory specs, lubes,check clearances, Im talking limbs and cams off, and completly build back up, to make sure every bow that he sells is as good as it possibly can be. Check timing on an actual draw board. I havent even seen another shop that has a draw board. So I know there is no way there bows are in tune.

#10 ·
X2, Dont know the guy, But i'll add..

If you dont like a business -
1: go elsewhere
2: learn to do it yourself.

#11 ·
works the same with vehicles... go buy parts at crappy tire and take them to a garage to be put on.. chances are there gonna tell ya they won't and not put them on or else charge you through the *ss for putting them on. most like to deal with what they sell and not with what ya got from somewhere else.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
best way IMO..
All you need a few basic tools to start..
Start simple,
ex: refletching your own shfts..
move into other areas as you go along...

Always more rewarding when you do it yourself...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.